Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CALI BEACH early delivery!

A

AlexGL00000000

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hello,

We received the stunning news yesterday evening that our California Beach Camper has at Tonbridge, a good 5-6 months ahead of schedule (ordered in January). I thought I had months to sell our existing car and continue some slow-paced research into the Beach, but I'm now having to step that up a bit. I will post some pictures when we actually get our hands on it, but meanwhile I thought I would ask for views on two things which now seem a bit more of urgent priority - fitting a Ghost immobiliser and solar panels. I know there are separate threads on both of these topics, so I will read up further, but grateful for any quick hot tips. Having had everything done in the factory to our spec, I'm now a bit hesitant add on after-market features unless it's really worth it. Thanks!

Hello,

We received the stunning news yesterday evening that our California Beach Camper has at Tonbridge, a good 5-6 months ahead of schedule (ordered in January). I thought I had months to sell our existing car and continue some slow-paced research into the Beach, but I'm now having to step that up a bit. I will post some pictures when we actually get our hands on it, but meanwhile I thought I would ask for views on two things which now seem a bit more of urgent priority - fitting a Ghost immobiliser and solar panels. I know there are separate threads on both of these topics, so I will read up further, but grateful for any quick hot tips. Having had everything done in the factory to our spec, I'm now a bit hesitant add on after-market features unless it's really worth it. Thanks!
Brilliant news. Did you go Camper or Tourer?

Solar panels depend on how you intend to use the van as it takes quite some time to recoup the cost.
We prefer the Bear Lock over the Ghost but both are an excellent security addition.
Post some photos when you get your van.

Camper - and have just watched a video tour of the vehicle, absolutely stunning!

Solar panels will be for periods when we are staying in Greece and there will be no electric hook-up nearby. Could be for 1-2 months. I'll check out the Bear Lock, thanks for the tip.

Just to add that Matt at Tonbridge SMG has been wonderful throughout. He was recommended somewhere else on this forum, and we have found him to be extremely helpful.

Hello,

Ooh congratulations! Exciting times. We had a similar situation with our Beach order, which is currently in build about 10 months earlier than expected. I'm on the same dash to read up on what needs to be done and get my car sold etc.
A Bus and Beyond released a video recently about fitting solar on their Beach, you might find it helpful.

Hello,

I'm in exactly the same boat. Wasn't ready and expected it in 2023. Not that I'm complaining of course. Now to start buying the items on my wish list

Hello,

Congratulations with the early delivery :)

I agree with getting a Bear Lock. It’s on my van shopping list. I would not rush into getting fixed solar panels unless you need them imminently.

Maybe take a look at the Renogy 100ah LiFePo4 battery, which can apparently replace the existing one directly. There are threads on here to research. This would give you about 2.5x usable capacity. Also you could look at portable solar panels.

These are all things I am considering after 18 months of ownership. Alternatively, just enjoy the van as it is for now and consider the upgrades at your leisure :)

Solar panels will be for periods when we are staying in Greece and there will be no electric hook-up nearby. Could be for 1-2 months. I'll check out the Bear Lock, thanks for the tip.

You have just answered your own question. Get those panels on asap, and you will never need an electric hookup.

Ive had my Beach now for 5 months and best advice I could give is try before you buy. Since it doesn’t come loaded with electricity guzzling gizmos I’ve found I rarely use hookup. Driving recharges the battery. As for security I went for a top end tracker and good quality steering lock.

The things I’ve found most useful were the porta potti and the front screen external cover.

Hello,

I have the Ghost and 2x 100 watt solar on my Beach.

I know it divides opinion on here but I would seriously recommend the Ghost as stealth security that literally prevents all theft bar the thieves putting your van on a low loader. Never had any problems with it either I use a good quality Steering lock for visible security.

Roger Donahue fitted my solar. No drilling and a very neat job. We usually have hookup but the few times not the battery has fully charged each day. Testing it out at Camper Jam next weekend!

Best of Luck.