Calais to Annecy 2013

• Thread starter BMVS-Camper-Hire
  • Start date
BMVS-Camper-Hire

BMVS-Camper-Hire

Camperhire
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Further to our brilliant holiday this year at Lake Annecy with our boat and Cali, we have just re-booked to go back to the fantastic LaRavoire campsite, in Doussard, Annecy, for two weeks in August.

This year Martin recommended us a great hotel (Hotel Bal) just outside Calais, so we could break to journey up on the way down. We are looking to do the same this year but are looking for somewhere a bit further down, maybe 2 -3 hours out of Calais, to stop off on the way and possibly the way back.

Looking for a recommend, if anyone has stayed anywhere like this before?

Thanks in advance

We have used the Mercure and Ibis in Troyes to break the journey to the Alps. The hotels are next to each other and share an underground carpark. Quite sure the height restriction would be too low to get a Cali in. However you could probably park in front of reception. The location is good for walking into the center of town for dinner. Troyes has a nice square with plenty of places to eat.

Municipal campsite in Troyes is halfway decent. Popular so would recommend booking to ensure decent sized plot. On bus route into centre, but had not problem parking up in city centre.

swigle said:
Municipal campsite in Troyes is halfway decent. Popular so would recommend booking to ensure decent sized plot. On bus route into centre, but had not problem parking up in city centre.

Thanks swigle, but its a hotel Im after not a campsite, as its only a quick overnight stay.

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
swigle said:

Thanks swigle, but its a hotel Im after not a campsite, as its only a quick overnight stay.[/qu

stayed at Laon on my way down to Nyons, 120plus miles from Calais, motel style hotel, locked car park at night and nice restaurant, about two minutes from motorway

sorry, it was the Campanile Charles de Gaulle rd

Kevin

Oli,

we have stayed at a couple of b&b just over half way down. They get our family of 4 in one room no problem. I also book evening dinner which is usually a full blown affair with wine etc thrown in. great hospitality and often get to meet others on the road, making a relaxing and pleasant evening. Can be a bit pricy, but when you consider it is all in; food , drink and bed - well worth it. if of interest i will dig out the details of the places we stayed.

That would be great thanks

Oli,

Which site do you normally stop at in Annecy?

Thanks

Simon

La Ravoire. It's a lovely site

Oli

can't find the b&bs we stopped at at the moment, but still looking. One was in a small village outside Langres the other near Beaune. the later had a swimming pool. to be honest there are lots available and provide great service for an overnight stop with good food.

If you're looking for something 2 to 3 hours from Calais Reims might be an option. Both the Holiday Inn Express and the Mercure are about five minutes walk from the cathedral. Reims is a good stopping point with a good number of bars and restaurants.

We've used the Holiday Inn Express a few times. reasonably priced and just good enough for a one night stop over. Secure outdoor parking at the rear.

I havent used the Mercure but my dentist highly recommends it and he travels to france regularly with two or three kids. Bit more up market than the Holiday Inn, but again with good parking.

If you do decide to go for Reims my advice would be book fairly early particularly if you're thinking of staying Friday or Saturday night. It does get busy at the weekends.

Thank you. Im going to be towing a 5 metre rib, do you think there will be enough room in their car park?

The parking area at the back of the Holiday Inn Express isn't massive so I would suggest you might need to negotiate with them to secure parking for your 'rib'. The Mercure has more extensive parking.

Hi Harry

Thanks for your help. Ive just booked the Mercure in Reims. Bargain as well, a junior suite for two adults and three children for £100. They have private parking there so perfect for the boat as well

:clap :thumb

Glad you're sorted.

You'll be sat outside one of those pavement bars with a glass of Leffe in your hands in no time :D