Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

C19 forum stats

I have a thread running on this subject here ..... The 900 mile cycle ride - part 1.

Jo and I have deliberately chosen not to have any form of back up for this trip. The reasons are personal but suffice to say some aspects it creates are driving me nuts.

We are actually going to do a "There and back", returning each day to the start point and ferrying the bikes to the previous days finish point the next morning using the camper bike rack, parking the camper up, cycling 15-20 miles, coming back, going back to wherever the caravan is parked etc.

I am limiting my driving to no more than 30 minutes each way so every 4 or 5 days we are going to have to leapfrog the caravan around 80 miles further along the route.

It sounds to be incredibly tedious but in practice, now I'm doing the detailed route plan, it is proving not so. Quite a few days I have found alternative return trips so not quite retracing steps, or pedal revolutions, we are also finding some really interesting places to park the cali up, cycle a few miles one way and back, then a few miles the other way, then enjoy where we are!

We also have another complication and that is our 13 year old boy, Max. When he came to us , to his forever home, 12 years ago he found two other doggie friends to be with. His bestest doggie friend died last year, he is too old now to be left with friends so he is having to come with us. This imposes a limitation on how Long we can be away from the caravan each day, why I am limiting driving time to 30 minutes each way.

Yes, route planning has been an intricate business :)
Wow, thanks for your very detailed response here and for linking to your other thread. Looks very interesting, just skimmed through it all now and looking forward to digesting your wisdom later! Seems like there’s a lot there that’ll help us with our planning eg surprisingly we’d never thought about doing a round cycle trip back to the van each day, like it! We have lined up for the future NCN routes Oban to Inverness, Scottish Coast and Castles, Oban to Campbeltown for starters. This will be a lot of nights to find b&bs, but great if we can stay in our van, always our preferred option regardless! Good luck with your trip, we’ll check out your 900-mile thread now with great awe and much interest. All the best, fingers crossed for next year and thanks for your help

Wow, thanks for your very detailed response here and for linking to your other thread. Looks very interesting, just skimmed through it all now and looking forward to digesting your wisdom later! Seems like there’s a lot there that’ll help us with our planning eg surprisingly we’d never thought about doing a round cycle trip back to the van each day, like it! We have lined up for the future NCN routes Oban to Inverness, Scottish Coast and Castles, Oban to Campbeltown for starters. This will be a lot of nights to find b&bs, but great if we can stay in our van, always our preferred option regardless! Good luck with your trip, we’ll check out your 900-mile thread now with great awe and much interest. All the best, fingers crossed for next year and thanks for your help

I have the outline route traced, 5th attempt! Now working on details, where the Cali can be parked up each day for our start and finish points, camp sites, places to avoid, .....

I use Komoot for initial route finding then refine off it... not all cycleways are as good or as quiet than what you can find for yourself just using old fashioned OS maps and new-fangled google street view plus some incredible points of interest not listed on popular route finding apps. I