Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bye bye Beach

I agree with the above, but, if you've got an eye on resale, I'd certainly understand your caution. Used buyers may be cautious of it, unless they fully understand the issues (such as the unavailability of a 204hp beach). So you are limiting your resale market, and hence price.

Providing the conversion is a top quality job I can't see a problem. There will always be a market for your van and anyway it should be more about your needs now and not about what happens when you sell it.

If it were me, I would ask to see a Caravelle that they have converted or at the very least detailed interior photos of one. Get them to show you the parts they will be using and ask then to run through how the job will be done. The big issue will be how well they deal with relocating the lighting and ventilation that features in the Caravelle roof and not forgetting fitting the pop top.? How good do the non standard ventilation and lighting fittings look and does the head lining look professionally adapted or merely a bodge. I should mention that I have seen an example that had been converted to take a pop top and it was these issues that IMO let it down. However, don't let that put you off as I am sure that there are companies that do this type of conversion very professionally indeed. They wouldn't be in business for long if they didn't.

It may be that your company will use the interior ventilation, lighting, trim and roof parts from the Beach. If that's the case then it should be a great conversion. Who knows it might even add value.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I am always amazed at people who buy a California with its resale value in mind. For my part I buy this vehicle because it suits me and with the desire to keep it for a long time, and not with the idea of getting rid of it already.
The point is does it suit me, the rest doesn't matter, it's my choice.

Forgive me but you answer your own question.

It's your van, it works for you, you love it.

With the myriad of good/bad/indifferent conversions out there that still readily find homes you won't have any issues selling it in time. Even more so if you keep it for a number of years.

Many on here have come from conversions and only end up with Calis as they do what they want at a quality level they want without aggro. We all then mod our vans to a greater or lesser extent or wish we'd added or could add that one extra.

Follow your heart.

Thank you
I am always amazed at people who buy a California with its resale value in mind. For my part I buy this vehicle because it suits me and with the desire to keep it for a long time, and not with the idea of getting rid of it already.
The point is does it suit me, the rest doesn't matter, it's my choice.

Providing the conversion is a top quality job I can't see a problem. There will always be a market for your van and anyway it should be more about your needs now and not about what happens when you sell it.

If it were me, I would ask to see a Caravelle that they have converted or at least the very least detailed interior photos of one. Get them to show you the parts they will be using and ask then to run through how the job will be done. The big issue will be how well they deal with relocating the lighting and ventilation that features in the Caravelle roof and not forgetting fitting the pop top.? How good do the non standard ventilation and lighting fittings look and does the head lining look professionally adapted or merely a bodge. I should mention that I have seen an example that had been coverted to take a pop top and it was these issues that IMO let it down. However, don't let that put you off as I am sure that there are companies that do this type of conversion very professionally indeed. They wouldn't be in business for long if they didn't.

It may be that your company will use the interior ventilation, lighting, trim and roof parts from the Beach. If that's the case then it should be a great conversion. Who knows it might even add value.

Good luck.
Thanks all good pointers - early doors conversation but will report back on progress

Just a thought but what about importing a LHD Beach?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry to revive an old thread and also new here - we are in a position the moment of either going for a Cali or keeping our Velle and doing the conversion. We have found a company (kernow) who can deal with the business climatic aircon & fit genuine cali parts inc the roof - I'm slightly concerned that we will devalue our van I suppose. But on the flip side its a 204 blackberry with lots of extras that we love and really works for us (inc the lovely interior) - having the pop top & go for a removable slide pod I think will be superb..but I'm still hesitating! Would be interested to hear from anyone who has had this done and perception of it as a 'thing' amongst the forum.
I too own a 'Velle and would be interested in seeing the results. I believe that the folks who own Slidepod converted their own 'Velle. Would like to see how that turned out.

So according to Car Magazine Beach T6.1 isn't destined for UK shores....

Such a shame, for us the Beach was the only Cali that ticked our boxes.

I am wondering if the all singing and dancing mini kitchen in a side panel will be orderable as parts though......

I saw a coast in the garage where I bought my ocean a couple of weeks ago. I don't know but I think they may have just renamed it

Wonder how many potential Coast orders will be switched to Beach?

53k starting price though

So this costs more than my fully equipped SE (Ocean)?
VW is going berserk with their prices!
Also without the pullout kitchen it is not registered as a Campervan but now as a MPV and subject to the U.K. luxury Car Tax and higher VED than the Coast or Ocean.

Probably very few as it’s quite a different proposition
It is. But if you missed out on the T6 Beach and were left with no suitable option the Coast became the cheapest VW built pop roof. Lots of us joked about buying Coasts and selling on the kitchens.

Great to see it back. Humdinger of a price difference though.

Also without the pullout kitchen it is not registered as a Campervan but now as a MPV and subject to the U.K. luxury Car Tax and higher VED than the Coast or Ocean.

So even more confusion for Eurotunnel when booking a crossing... Which Beach is a campervan and which is an MPV?

I'm really pleased it's back but £53k starting price (if true) seems rather optimistic. Last year the T6 started at £47, 303 otr. What will you be getting for the extra £5697? A second sliding door or a single burner stove I hear you say. Well they'd better be bloody good that for sort of money.

Last edited:
So even more confusion for Eurotunnel when booking a crossing... Which Beach is a campervan and which is an MPV?
The one with the pullout kitchen is the Campervan/Motorhome so lower VED and No luxury car tax.

I'm really pleased it's back but £53k starting price (if true) seems rather optimistic. Last year the T6 started at £47, 303 otr. What will you be getting for the extra £5697? A second sliding door or a single burner stove I hear you say. Well they'd better be bloody good for sort of that money.
We all dismissed the cost of buying the panels/ components to add the integrated stove as a mod but when you put it like that they probably seem cheap.

I'm really pleased it's back but £53k starting price (if true) seems rather optimistic. Last year the T6 started at £47, 303 otr. What will you be getting for the extra £5697? A second sliding door or a single burner stove I hear you say. Well they'd better be bloody good for sort of that money.
I beg your pardon? This will not be an option?
Surely VW won't put that as standard.

Wonder how many potential Coast orders will be switched to Beach?
I would hope the answer is zero, else people haven't been concentrating.

So according to Car Magazine Beach T6.1 isn't destined for UK shores....

Such a shame, for us the Beach was the only Cali that ticked our boxes.

I am wondering if the all singing and dancing mini kitchen in a side panel will be orderable as parts though......
Same here, Beach was the only Cali for us.

53k starting price though
Where are you seeing this? I’m searching and not even finding the Beach, let alone a price...

Where are you seeing this? I’m searching and not even finding the Beach, let alone a price...
It’s €53k in Germany. So that would be quite a premium over exchange rates! If it turns out to be £50k or more, then the Coast is MUCH better value.

You can order a new Coast for £49.5k on Autoebid currently and that has way more kit...

It’s €53k in Germany. So that would be quite a premium over exchange rates! If it turns out to be £50k or more, then the Coast is MUCH better value.

You can order a new Coast for £49.5k on Autoebid currently and that has way more kit...
Depends on what you want / need for your lifestyle.