Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bye bye Beach

Depends on what you want / need for your lifestyle.
I don’t disagree - just saying that the Coast would give a lot more kit for the money if £50k for basic Beach is the asking price.

The amount of utility you get from either depends on your lifestyle.

I don’t disagree - just saying that the Coast would give a lot more kit for the money if £50k for basic Beach is the asking price.

The amount of utility you get from either depends on your lifestyle.
Yup. I sold my Ocean because I need access to dog crates in the back when towing. So a 2 seater with double sliding doors would be perfect.

I was told 53k & 53.3k + OTR costs by a dealer tonight. All internal information at the moment. Nothing online yet.

i bet the increase is only about 2.5k over the last Beach once the full spec is known. 17” Alloys were nearly a grand. Would imagine Sat Nav and Better headlights are now standard.

I was told 53k & 53.3k + OTR costs by a dealer tonight. All internal information at the moment. Nothing online yet.

i bet the increase is only about 2.5k over the last Beach once the full spec is known. 17” Alloys were nearly a grand. Would imagine Sat Nav and Better headlights are now standard.
Sat Nav wasn’t listed in Breeze’s post. I would be expecting H7s (at least), auxiliary heater, 3 zone climatic and light concept for that money. Even then, it’s steep!

My total guess of standard spec over last T6 Beach:

H7 headlights (exterior pack) were around £400ish
17” Alloys were £950ish
6.5” Screen - £400ish (but Only available with Comfort Dash)
App Connect £150
MFSW £400
Cruise Control £300ish
Lights & Vision Pack £300

Once you add the hob or an extra slider which is about £800 on a transporter, the above few items would be come to over 3.5 grand worth of extras included.

Last edited:
Or did I not understand your quote:
I'm really pleased it's back but £53k starting price (if true) seems rather optimistic. Last year the T6 started at £47, 303 otr. What will you be getting for the extra £5697? A second sliding door or a single burner stove I hear you say. Well they'd better be bloody good that for sort of money.
Were you not suggesting that VW includes or a second sliding door or the stove as standard for that extra money?

As I understand it there are two versions of the T6-1 Beach or at least there are in main land Europe. We will have to wait and see what we are allowed to have in the UK. The two versions are I believe - the 'Camper' and the 'Tour':

1. The Camper features a pop up single burner stove as standard. This version has the two seater rear bench and storage box. No second sliding door.

2. The Tour is a five seater with the option of up to two extra swivel seats making it a seven seater. This version has a second sliding door as standard. It isn't an option. I believe it is possible to delete the second slider and have the pop up kitchen instead. If I am correct then that would be an option.

Both options have been confirmed for the UK.

i believe the Camper with Hob is available with the 3 seat bench

Wow if that price is even nearly correct it makes a Coast looks cheap and yes I know it's all about individual circumstance's which one you would choose but surely VW are taking the p**s with pricing.

Some one needs to start a, Has the Cali become too expensive thread. ;)

My total guess of standard spec over last T6 Beach:

H7 headlights (exterior pack) were around £400ish
17” Alloys were £950ish
6.5” Screen - £400ish (but Only available with Comfort Dash)
App Connect £150
MFSW £400
Cruise Control £300ish
Lights & Vision Pack £300

Once you add the hob or an extra slider which is about £800 on a transporter, the above few items would be come to over 3.5 grand worth of extras included.

I also suspect that due to the WTLP testing that the Awning may also be standard on the T6.1 Beach.

I believe that’s the reason the Awning is also standard on the Coast.

I also suspect that due to the WTLP testing that the Awning may also be standard on the T6.1 Beach.

I believe that’s the reason the Awning is also standard on the Coast.
Was the awning not already standard on T6?

I don’t think so, it certainly wasn’t when I bought both of mine. However although it wasn’t listed as a standard item, every Beach Edition came with the exactly same spec and few options included, the Awning being one of them!

Anything is worth what its purchaser is prepared to pay for it....as the saying goes.

People have been shocked by the general direction of California prices for as long as I can remember.... and yet there is still demand & they still sell.
Think when I ordered my beach it was £47k basic, which then went to £60k factory list price when a decent set of options were added, then there were dealer mods on top of that...... so not sure £50k+ is any big deal if the vehicle is the right solution for someone.

Large SUV's are £55-£70k these days with eye watering depreciation to go with it, so as always context is a useful thing to take into consideration.

List Pricing allows head room for dealers to discount when they need to increase sales and allows extra margin to be made on some sales, whilst maintaining a line in the sand Regarding pricing.

All retailers use list price discounting as a sales influencer, who actually paid the list price for their Cali, regardless of model ?

When I bought mine, discounts were IRO 5 - 8% regardless of model. Prices increased year on year.

my budget, for second hand, went from 30k, to 35k to 40k, still I could not find a van that was to my spec !

I ended up buying a fully loaded Ex demo, less than 200 miles on the clock, with just about every option, the list price was north of 60k, the dealer had already discounted the list price to shift the pre reg van, they also missed some of the options that were fitted When costing it for sale !
I did not pay the list price but I did bag a very highly specced van, I could not buy a second hand Beach with a decent spec.
I was happy to part with my hard earned to own that vehicle,
was it too expensive? definitely,
Did it suit my needs fully? Definitely
we’re other vehicles available more cheaply, that suited my needs? possibly, but I did not want a conversion.

second hand markets were and still are mental, this has been used by many man math calculations to “justify” the mind numbing sum of money you are required to part with to own the dream.

IMO high spec Beach were (are) a rare beast, new or second hand, so I bit the bullet and paid up what I thought (think) is a ludicrous sum of money for a van!

Given my time again, would I do the same, again, definitely.

would the cost of a new T6.1 beach put me off future purchase if I were in the market for one ? not really.

How many of us live in houses we could not afford to buy at current market prices ?

The rule of affordability doesn’t come into modern society, people will always aspire to things that should be considered too expensive, and out of reach, they will always find that bit more to get the one they want, access to cheap finance available from those who set the prices increases the availability, the motor manufacturers, house builders use this to their advantage !

Glad to see the Beach coming back, for many the list price may be irrelevant?

I agree with scorf, the Cali, in whatever format, has always been “ too expensive“ we just forget how eye watering large the bill was when we were taking the plunge, whenever that was, now smugly sitting on the right side of the fence Looking at future prices and exclaiming the cost of the current offerings to be ridiculous!

Oh how we all forget so quickly !

will we ride that wave when we want sell ? definitely, it’s one of the reasons we all state as a justification to part with an eye watering amount of money to buy a Cali in the first place “depreciation“ (ever increasing new sales prices, support low depreciation)

Last edited:
List Pricing allows head room for dealers to discount when they need to increase sales and allows extra margin to be made on some sales, whilst maintaining a line in the sand Regarding pricing.

All retailers use list price discounting as a sales influencer, who actually paid the list price for their Cali, regardless of model ?

When I bought mine, discounts were IRO 5 - 8% regardless of model. Prices increased year on year.

my budget, for second hand, went from 30k, to 35k to 40k, still I could not find a van that was to my spec !

I ended up buying a fully loaded Ex demo, less than 200 miles on the clock, with just about every option, the list price was north of 60k, the dealer had already discounted the list price to shift the pre reg van, they also missed some of the options that were fitted When costing it for sale !
I did not pay the list price but I did bag a very highly specced van, I could not buy a second hand Beach with a decent spec.
we’re other vehicles available more cheaply, that suited my needs? possibly, but I did not want a conversion.

second hand markets were and still are mental, this has been used by many man math calculations to “justify” the mind numbing sum of money you are required to part with to own the dream.

IMO high spec Beach were (are) a rare beast, new or second hand, so I bit the bullet and paid up what I thought (think) is a ludicrous sum of money for a van!

would the cost of a new T6.1 beach put me off future purchase if I were in the market for one ? not really.

How many of us live in houses we could not afford to buy at current market prices ?

The rule of affordability doesn’t come into modern society, people will always aspire to things that should be considered too expensive, and out of reach, they will always find that bit more to get the one they want, access to cheap finance available from those who set the prices increases the availability, the motor manufacturers, house builders use this to their advantage !

I agree with scorf, the Cali, in whatever format, has always been “ too expensive“ we just forget how eye watering large the bill was when we were taking the plunge, whenever that was, now smugly sitting on the right side of the fence Looking at future prices and exclaiming the cost of the current offerings to be ridiculous!

will we ride that wave when we want sell ? definitely, it’s one of the reasons we all state as a justification to part with an eye watering amount of money to buy a Cali in the first place “depreciation“ (ever increasing new sales prices, support low depreciation)
Interesting write up Perfectos, now Caliless I will be interested to see what happens to new prices and deals over the next year or so as we edge towards recession.

Thats a really good piece of writing that talks a lot of sense.

Interesting write up Perfectos, now Caliless I will be interested to see what happens to new prices and deals over the next year or so as we edge towards recession.
I agree.
Before ordering our latest van in August 2019, two different VW sources confirmed that UK California sales had been falling year on year for the previous two years. One of those sources was our salesman.

This tends to suggest that if the design is still as popular as ever then an ever increasing number of potential buyers saw the Cali as either too expensive for their budget or not worth the asking price. However, different factors have come into play since then. The post Covid buying frenzie followed by a possible recession may be in the process of creating a very interesting set of sales figures.

two different VW sources confirmed that UK California sales had been falling year on year for the previous two years.
Coinciding with the UK introduction of the Marco Polo (and the gentrification of campervanning).