Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying new in continental Europe - tips please

R

RobertM

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi everyone,

Has anyone looked into buying a (LH drive) California from a dealer in continental Europe please? A weak euro surely makes this a good option (as well as a good time to tour)? Any hints or tips much appreciated.

Robert.

I'm thinking brand new, but nearly new would also be fine.

I've bought mine in Spain, and I'll take deliver if it in few weeks after waiting 6 months. I'm very lucky because now that I'll transfer the money to Spain the euro it's really cheap.

I did because I prefer a LHD vehicle (I'm Spanish), because I,'ve found it cheaper than at UK and because in UK you cannot buy a Cali Beach 140cv 4motion. Also because my current LHD Passat it's better quoted to be part-ex.

IMO it's a good option providing the specs match with what you want.

Thanks, you've done very well there!

My intention is to buy in Europe and then tour in Europe, so LHD is perfect as well. And I could start my travel in any country. Spain is an option. But is it the cheapest? Perhaps someone can recommend a particular VW dealer in France , Germany or the Netherlands for example?

Only one more suggestion, ask for quotations to as many dealer as you can. In my case, I've invested several month contacting different dealer in Spain, and the difference between some of them was about several thousand euros (mainly in my case due the part-ex variable).

Another point I've found is that usually VW dealers are not quite pressured and was very usual even not to get reply from some of them, or just ridiculous prices. Some other were reluctant to sell me the California with no taxes neither plates (we have to pay taxes and register in UK).

Just think you could need months to find the proper offer.

Thanks again for the advice! To get a good deal I see that it's not going to be as easy as strolling into a dealership with a suitcase full of euros! :)

To give you an idea of the 2nd hand prices a VW dealer who only does recreation verhicles , and specialy Cali's.
See here , in Dutch and in euro's....but it might help
http://www.campercentrumnederland.nl/campergebruikt/voorraadgebruikt
They have the skills and knowledge to arrange selling to people from outside the Netherlands , they also rent Cali's.
Alltough i guess it's to expencive buying in the Netherlands
Try Germany ....

Many Germans import their Cali from Autohaus Schweiger in Reutte/ Tirol / Austria. Due to tax reasons it seems to be a lot cheaper than in Germany.

Chris

Yes it is. My Comfortline Editipn TSI 150kw is listed in Germany with a Price Tag from 68800,-€.
My Dealer gets the Californias from Schweiger in Austria and I payed 52.400,-€.
Depending on the Model Luxemburg is another option as well as Denmark.

Bear in mind that, if you buy a brand new California, and if you are British resident, you have to buy it with not taxes and pay them in UK, what means that the advantages of buy it in a "more relaxed" taxes country shouldn't impact in your price.

Different thing is when you buy an used one (at least 6 months old, at least 6000 Km and (not sure about this point) already registered)

Yes,estresao
I live in Germany and wanted my Cali from reutte aswell,but I would of had to pay the tax aswell.The other place is Autohaus schweiger nesselwang which is on the Austrian border.By the time all the tax paperwork was done( Germans love their red tape and paperwork!!)the dealer is very good at negotiations!!!
Fozzy

Met some spaniards in a cali last year, and they bought theirs from slovakia much cheaper than spain. I don't know how this compares with other countries

John

Hi Robert,
I bought my used Cali a couple of years ago. I live in France and found that there was much more selection and cheaper prices in Germany so I purchased there. It took a few months to get my registration taken care of in France (had to get some paperwork from VW saying that the car conforms to EU standards-what BS!). Hotel California mentioned campercentrum in Holland and I have been there several times for service on the vehicle when I am traveling through. They were a little expensive but very good. They had a large selection of vehicles, fun to look at while your car is being serviced. Good luck! Laurent

Import an used one it's a different animal than get a brand new one because of the taxes