Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying an Ocean..

calibeach76

calibeach76

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi all

Looking at returning to the Cali fold after selling our Beach last August. We have spotted a well specced 2016 Ocean 204 bhp manual and in many ways it is perfect for us. We will primarily use this for short stays and weekends away with our girls who are 3 and 5, longer term trips we will use our tourer but the Cali will be the tow car for best of both worlds on day trips etc. Now the stumbling block (potentially) it has done 70k miles in 5 years. Should I swerve this (it has full dealer history) or should I not really worry?

Thanks all in advance.

Jon

So many questions...
So what made you sell the Beach? It could have been the perfect vehicle for short trips? And then towing something else for longer ones... I’m a bit confused. Maybe I read your post incorrrectly.

We sold the Beach for a number of reasons but mainly to use as deposit on another property and with covud we were unsure how much use we'd get from it after returning from France mid August last year. We sold it back to the supplying dealer fir what we paid for it in August 19. I didn't grumble. Tbh the Beach has its advantages but we found the lack of internal cooking space and the built in storage etc just became grating for us and 2 young kids. We also didn't have a heater. For us as a second/ third car plus a short stay self contained unit an ocean I think will knock of most of our objections to the Beach. We like the space of the caravan if we go away for a few weeks and only move once or twice if at all. For us the caravan suits us better for the long stay but we do love nipping away at weekends with or without the children and fir that the campervan option is better/ easier/ more realistic than hooking up a tourer for one or two nights.

Hi all

Looking at returning to the Cali fold after selling our Beach last August. We have spotted a well specced 2016 Ocean 204 bhp manual and in many ways it is perfect for us. We will primarily use this for short stays and weekends away with our girls who are 3 and 5, longer term trips we will use our tourer but the Cali will be the tow car for best of both worlds on day trips etc. Now the stumbling block (potentially) it has done 70k miles in 5 years. Should I swerve this (it has full dealer history) or should I not really worry?

Thanks all in advance.

Jon
A Cali that has done 70K in 5 years is a better bet than one that’s done low mileage in 5 years.

Beagle mum. That is what I thought. For business I average 16/20k a year so in the same period a car would do 80 to 100k and tbh my experience is ivebever had an issue and my nate has VW 102ps vans on his fleet that are pushing 150k miles over a 5 year period. I recall an AA guy telling my mum that a low mileage car was not always a good thing.

Is the 204 mated to a manual any good? My Beach was a 150 DSG.

Thanks again

On one hand - that 5 years including a covid year is about 17000 miles
per year, to do that every year is some going with a camper especially
in the Uk.

On the other hand - a well looked after one service wise and everything else
i probably wouldn't dismiss.

in the Uk.

Thanks. It is a hard one and price wise I think £43k is reasonable money too?

Hi all

Thanks all in advance.

Jon
The Transporter is a working vehicle and some of them will do 70K per year. If the engine is well maintained and serviced then it will be be good for 300k miles +. Obviously have it properly checked over but if everything is in good order and the price is right I don't see any reason why the milage should put you off, it is normal mileage for a daily driver.

The Transporter is a working vehicle and some of them will do 70K per year. If the engine is well maintained and serviced then it will be be good for 300k miles +. Obviously have it properly checked over but if everything is in good order and the price is right I don't see any reason why the milage should put you off, it is normal mileage for a daily driver.
Thanks Algor. Those were my gut thoughts too.

I agree..that's a fair price. I have a 2016 ocean. Paid 46k 2.5 years ago for it. Mileage now 26k. I'd make an offer of a solid 41k as a serious buyer and let them think about it

I agree..that's a fair price. I have a 2016 ocean. Paid 46k 2.5 years ago for it. Mileage now 26k. I'd make an offer of a solid 41k as a serious buyer and let them think about it
Thanks FB how do you find the manual and 204 combo?

Hi Jon

That mileage would not trouble me, It's 14k per year which is about what I do. I would be more concerned if it was only 20k and left standing around most of the time. A FSH is an indication it has been well loved.

That price seems reasonable. I have a DSG but the 204 is a lovely engine, especially for a daily driver. It is quite nippy and very relaxed.

Hi Jon

That mileage would not trouble me, It's 14k per year which is about what I do. I would be more concerned if it was only 20k and left standing around most of the time. A FSH is an indication it has been well loved.

That price seems reasonable. I have a DSG but the 204 is a lovely engine, especially for a daily driver. It is quite nippy and very relaxed.
Thanks Jen. Most comments backup my gut instinct and not to worry. I'll add about 7k a year so over the next 5 years probably total around 100k. I'll keep you posted

Beagle mum. That is what I thought. For business I average 16/20k a year so in the same period a car would do 80 to 100k and tbh my experience is ivebever had an issue and my nate has VW 102ps vans on his fleet that are pushing 150k miles over a 5 year period. I recall an AA guy telling my mum that a low mileage car was not always a good thing.

Thanks again
Sorry I don’t have any experience of the 204 but there will be others on here who have that will give you their opinion.
It sounds like a solid Cali, hope it works out for you.

in the Uk.

Maybe for some.:cool:

We bought a 3 year old beach with 56k miles. It’s now 5 years old with 71k. No regrets so far - the higher mileage meant we could just afford the newer adblue engine. Covid has meant it hasn’t had as much use as expected, even as my daily drive.

Before we got our beach we looked at a 4 year older conversion (a T5 so no adblue) that had only done 11k. That worried me far more and had a similar price tag......

Thanks FB how do you find the manual and 204 combo?
fantastic. i had the 150 before. the 204 is the one. as for DSG i prefer manual but that's a long thread is that one. DSG V manual

Thanks again
I don't think that manual 204's are very common, if memory serves, 204 4M was only available with DSG and would be the most popular 204 version.

Basically there might be little usage knowledge of manual 204.
I do seem to recall the Salesman (not a font of good information) saying something about the 204 4M being DSG due to the power output.

Dual mass flywheel and clutch seem to come up as problem on manual vans on the Forums more than gearbox faults other than low powered 5 speed ones.

Well guys just as an update, the 70k ocean wasn't for us and we have decided to order a new Coast. I've gone for options of climate, LED lights, privacy glass, grey panoramic bellows, Devonport alloys with all weather tyres and cherry red. I'm being offered a discount if c 4k from Liverpool Van centre. Does that sound about right? Lead time of 8-10 months but we have our tourer to use in the meantime so hence why we were prepared to wait and have a factory order to our desired spec. Anything else I should add?

Cheers

Well guys just as an update, the 70k ocean wasn't for us and we have decided to order a new Coast. I've gone for options of climate, LED lights, privacy glass, grey panoramic bellows, Devonport alloys with all weather tyres and cherry red. I'm being offered a discount if c 4k from Liverpool Van centre. Does that sound about right? Lead time of 8-10 months but we have our tourer to use in the meantime so hence why we were prepared to wait and have a factory order to our desired spec. Anything else I should add?

Cheers
Good choice, but I got over £8k off an Ocean through Drive the Deal. AutoeBid also worth calling. Then see if your dealer will match it.
I would tick all your option boxes and add the 80L fuel tank and the Dynamic Chassis Control.

Good choice, but I got over £8k off an Ocean through Drive the Deal. AutoeBid also worth calling. Then see if your dealer will match it.
I would tick all your option boxes and add the 80L fuel tank and the Dynamic Chassis Control.
Thanks. Maybe I should shop around and squeeze the dealer? Any suggestions for alternative dealers but not Birmingham....

Back