Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a T5

DazPetersen

DazPetersen

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
Hi all.
I’m looking to buy a 2012 T5 180 4 motion cali and am wondering what are the main things to look out for when looking at the vehicle. I am mechanically minded and know what to look out for with bodywork I’m just wondering if there’s anything specific I should be looking for? Thanks
Thank you for your time.

I used to have a T5, loved it, great vehicle. The main issue I had was with one of the electric sliding doors, which cost me a few hundred to get repaired, and the door opener on the driver side which failed internally inside the door card. Other than that, the engine was in good order, I made sure the oil was changed every 10k.

I’d start with the service history and check that the intervals and associated parts which need servicing / checked have been done. obviously the mileage will determine what may need checking/servicing. This is a good guide: https://haynes.com/en-gb/tips-tutorials/volkswagen-transporter-t5-routine-maintenance-2003-2015

I’d also check the 4motion gear, it may have a Heldex which I had on a later T6. Hopefully no issues but worth checking that it’s had the necessary oil changes.

I sold my T5 with 160k miles in the clock and she was still going strong.

Sit down with a pot of tea and do a search (on here) on the 180 engine. Do you feel lucky?
I bought a used 2014 T5.1 180 a couple of years ago. It had 43000 miles on the clock, I knocked the seller down by £2000 to cover the cost is changing the EGR cooler to the latest D version. Excellent performance and hasn’t used a drop of oil between 2 annual services.

I bought a used 2013 T5.1 180 three years ago with 55000 miles on the clock and a "D" EGR cooler fitted. One oil change and now on 67,000; recently began showing worrying signs of excess oil consumption. As it's currently severely underused, it'll probably be some time before I know exactly what is going on. I don't regret buying though.

Yep D cooler is not a guarantee. Mine is on 67k and doesn't use oil. Regular annual oil changes and the EGR C cooler blanked at 43k as I wasn't happy with the D offering

Back