Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a 5 seat but need 7 seat - the dealership says you can't do it!

You might want to look at this...

<src="
">

Interesting - he's able to slide the rear bench with the backrest up and with it in the sleeping position. On my Caravelle the bench back has to be folded forward to slide the seat.

Interesting - he's able to slide the rear bench with the backrest up and with it in the sleeping position. On my Caravelle the bench back has to be folded forward to slide the seat.
Think it's one of the tweaks from 5.1 - 6. My beach does the same.

Hi everyone!!! Not good news today, it seems we are one of the unlucky ones that have a v5 that says 5 seater instead of 7 :headbang

The dealership is not allowed to fit them for us and all they can offer is the possibility of getting them on our behalf and then we have to get a conversion company to fit them. But still haven't got a price for them....

What a shame, can you walk away from this Beach and find another 7 seater?

Think it's one of the tweaks from 5.1 - 6. My beach does the same.
I have T5.2 and have implemented the cord-attached-under-the-bench "hack" documented elsewhere on this forum to achieve the same. I wouldn't want to live without it anymore... so much easier.

Hi everyone!!! Not good news today, it seems we are one of the unlucky ones that have a v5 that says 5 seater instead of 7 :headbang

The dealership is not allowed to fit them for us and all they can offer is the possibility of getting them on our behalf and then we have to get a conversion company to fit them. But still haven't got a price for them....

I feel sorry for you. Then again, getting the seats approved should not be too hard, since it's changing the vehicle in a way that is already approved by VW. It would be a little disaster if you lived in Belgium though (where this would cost lots of time and money).
Perhaps you can use the opportunity to also convert the car to a camper ( I don't know the UK rules), but at least I did in Belgium, and it saves 350 euro a year on tax. I only had to add a self-made Ikea Alex based kitchen pod.​

I have T5.2 and have implemented the cord-attached-under-the-bench "hack" documented elsewhere on this forum to achieve the same. I wouldn't want to live without it anymore... so much easier.

I feel sorry for you. Then again, getting the seats approved should not be too hard, since it's changing the vehicle in a way that is already approved by VW. It would be a little disaster if you lived in Belgium though (where this would cost lots of time and money).
Perhaps you can use the opportunity to also convert the car to a camper ( I don't know the UK rules), but at least I did in Belgium, and it saves 350 euro a year on tax. I only had to add a self-made Ikea Alex based kitchen pod.​
In the U.K., the Beach is already classed as a Motor Caravan/Campervan.

It is very easy to change the V5c registration document.
See here.

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/changes-youll-need-to-update

You don't even have to provide any evidence. All for the cost of a stamp and envelope.

IMG_0242.PNG

That's excellent information @WelshGas thank you.
Unfortunately @Seaview i literally cannot find another one in the uk that ticks all boxes :headbang I've spent all day on the phone again today trying to throw something up - all I'm getting is brand new models which are 10k more than this one and not as well spec'd. We are really pushed for time and but I don't want to panic and take something that we're not going to love once the excitement has worn off.

We've been looking at seats tonight and as long as we're happy to put covers on all seats then it does seem like it's possible - just need to speak with converters tomorrow to get a "yes" we can do it and a price!! Honestly, who'd have thought it would be this difficult :(

If that is the case its just a question of getting hold of 2 extra seats. At one time dealers were ordering extra seats even if customers didn't want them as they were worth more on eBay than VW charged as an extra at build time.
I have just noticed that buying two extra seats is usually more than twice the cost of buying one extra seat:
November 2015
1 seat - £295; 2 seats - £600
1 seat with child seat - £430; 2 seats with child seat - £860
July 2016
1 seat - £300; 2 seats - £610
1 seat with child seat - £435; 2 seats with child seat - £875
November 2016
1 seat - £310; 2 seats - £630
1 seat with child seat - £450; 2 seats with child seat - £905

The ones I have ordered are from the November 2015 price list, and the exception to the rule.

Fingers crossed, I do hope it gets resolved for you asap.

Unfortunately @Seaview i literally cannot find another one in the uk that ticks all boxes :headbang I've spent all day on the phone again today trying to throw something up - all I'm getting is brand new models which are 10k more than this one and not as well spec'd. We are really pushed for time and but I don't want to panic and take something that we're not going to love once the excitement has worn off.

We've been looking at seats tonight and as long as we're happy to put covers on all seats then it does seem like it's possible - just need to speak with converters tomorrow to get a "yes" we can do it and a price!! Honestly, who'd have thought it would be this difficult :(

Sorry if I've missed something but I'm not sure why you should need to "speak to a converter and get a price" ?

Have you asked for a photo of the floor of the van you are interested in buying?

The full length rails should already be installed and it should just be a case of dropping 2nd hand seats (or new) into place.

On EBay right now are 2 new leather seats £1300 or a single in alcantara for £450.

I appreciate these are not a direct fabric match but they should just drop into the Beach you are buying.

IMG_7056.PNG

IMG_7057.PNG

What colour interior is the one your looking at got?

I have the light Grey fabric in my Beach, if you like, if you buy the 2 leather seats for me, you can have my 2 fabric seats from my Beach! :)

If you are not too bothered about the fabric matching you should be able to get a lot cheaper than that, I think I paid £150 for my "6th" seat.

As others have said there is no need to speak to a converter. The vehicle handbook tells you how to fit the seats.
Once a year I do a trip with 6 seats in an SE, my V5 has been updated to state 6 seats & I have a letter from a VW technician to satisfy the insurers that states something like - the additional seat is a VW accessory with an integrated seat belt, fitted to factory fitted floor rails in accordance with VWs instructions.
Thats in a vehicle thats only ever supposed to have 5 seats.
Your situation is far simpler, update the V5 & get on ebay...

6 seats in an SE? I'm really interested to know how that's done. Is this 2+2+2 or 3 (in the front) +1 +2 ?
I didn't order an SE because I thought five seats was the max and the fifth seat has to be removed to make the downstairs bed.. (and I need 5 and would've wanted at least 6, now I got 7 in my beach).

For the seat search it might be worth speaking to Oxford T5 http://www.oxfordt5.co.uk and Kernow Transporters http://www.kernowtransporters.co.uk . Both of those have dealt in VW seats for many years.
I had very good advice from Oxford T5 in the past.

I dealt with OxfordT5 when they installed a 3rd row bench in a friends Kombi Transporter. They were extremely helpful and installed the bench in a only a few hours whilst they went shopping.

Definitely recommend.

6 seats in an SE? I'm really interested to know how that's done. Is this 2+2+2 or 3 (in the front) +1 +2 ?
I didn't order an SE because I thought five seats was the max and the fifth seat has to be removed to make the downstairs bed.. (and I need 5 and would've wanted at least 6, now I got 7 in my beach).
At least one member has replaced the passenger seat with a 2 seat bench. I haven't got time to search the thread but there is one here that gives all the details.

You do not want 6 in an SE unless its an emergency ! its 4 rows 2 in front seats then 1 5th seat on rails nearest the sliding door, next 5th seat behind it on rails near the fridge & 2 seater bench pushed as far back as it goes. One seat on the bench has about 1 inch of legroom so ok for a toddler on a booster.
The disadvantages are - no way of putting lower bed down, no leg room in one seat, smaller boot no access to rearmost undersink cupboard, no access to overhead locker etc

We set the van up like this once a year to go down to spain & stay in a villa for three weeks, can just about squeeze in everything we need without roof box etc there is no way we could go camping like this.

The rest of the year we have it set up as a four seater & leave the 2 oldest kids behind!

I understand that your dealer cannot (will not) assist with the additional seats - unfortunately that is VWpolicy. However you should certainly be talking to them about compensation. Whatever the circumstances they have misled you. I would hope that any reputable dealer would wish to protect their reputation in this respect. My baseline would be the cost of quality covers (since you will probably not be lucky enough to match fabric) and a bit more for inconvenience.

If they do compensate you then name and shame them here. But give them the opportunity to compensate first. I had issues with my Ocean being wrongly built. It took a while to sort but dealer came up trumps in the end taking responsibility for retro-fitting OEM parking sensors and providing some accessories FOC.

Sorry if I've missed something but I'm not sure why you should need to "speak to a converter and get a price" ?

Have you asked for a photo of the floor of the van you are interested in buying?

The full length rails should already be installed and it should just be a case of dropping 2nd hand seats (or new) into place.

Hi @2haw thank you - ive been on this forum since i started looking in January and i certainly had the impression it was that easy - the dealership has totally thrown a spanner in the works which felt like it was a massive deal and it was basically a dead loss. Ive now pulled myself together, spoken to a seat importer, and yep as i knew dead down as this forum has always reassured me of, it is as simple as that - and my worse fear that i am doing something dangerous is simply not founded. THank you for recommending the seats, i have found some for £400 which are brand new and in a material called cheyenne from a 2010-2015 vehicle, we may buy just one for now and hold off for a pair of the correct ones.

@andyinluton im happy to find something that will make do until i find the correct ones and put seat covers on - like you i would ideally like to get it as cheap as possible if im going to do this

For the seat search it might be worth speaking to Oxford T5 http://www.oxfordt5.co.uk and Kernow Transporters http://www.kernowtransporters.co.uk . Both of those have dealt in VW seats for many years.
I had very good advice from Oxford T5 in the past.

@owen_h Thats a coincidence as is it was Kernow that i spoke to earlier in the week and he was very helpful - they have a £400 similar set in a fabric called cheyenne.

@2haw ill give OxfordT5 a try as well - thank you

@DM Its clear where the mistake has come from now - the salesman that my husband was speaking with had ONLY been there a year - a year seems long enough to know the basics but hey ho!! the frustration was because the manager was accusing my husband of lying; this was something we mentioned when we first rang about the beach and it was dealt with as if there was no problem, we left it with him to find the price out - he didnt find out the price, hence the first the manager knew of it was when he had unhappy customers on the phone 5 weeks later and it appeared that we had only just brought, what was now a big issue, up - not the case!! We've since had an apology and we are getting a service plan thrown in, still waiting to get the price of new seats from them and the final answer if they can help with the cost given the situation they have left us in; selling our car, needing a vehicle to transport a family of 6 (baby due in 5 weeks) and only having 4 weeks to now find one if we were to pull out. Its been a nightmare, but now weve taken control of the fitting the seat situation ourselves, and not asking for approval from VW, it is moving forward - just wish we could get a price so we knew where we stood financially!

Thanks everyone again for replies and stopping us from giving up!

If you've got a baby on the way & you intend keeping the van for a few years it would be worth looking out for the 5th seat that has an integrated child seat built in. They tend to be more like £600 each but saves the hassle of a separate child seat / booster in a few years time.

If you need to borrow a seat for a few weeks whilst you source some matching ones let me know.

Back