Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Busy Campsites

M

muttley

Guest User
I went to book a site near Kettering for this weekend, and couldn't find a single site or CL which wasn't fully booked. So, I widened the net to Northampton and beyond but still couldn't find anything.

Now, we only picked up the Cali last September, and I have never camped in my life, so I have no experience of how busy campsites are in peak periods. I had assumed that they would be busy, and maybe full in really touristy areas, but not fully booked across the whole country. No offence to Kettering, but I don't think anyone would describe that as a tourist spot (I have a meeting to attend there).

I am now a bit disillusioned, as for me the whole point of the Cali is to be able to look at the weather forecast on a Friday, and head off at the last minute for the weekend. Perhaps other, more experienced owners can reassure me that this is not going to be the story from now until September (with the exception of Calis on the farm of course!!).

Simon

I know it's not a cl site you could try Wicksteed park they will fit you in. You could pop and say hello as I am doing a car boot with the kids on sun :thumb

Yup Wicksteed will normally fit you in... and a good spot for the weekend.

Have you tried the CL at Stoke Bruerne? Just off J15 M1? Next to the canal and a decent pub.

A bit of sunshine and the bank holiday is likely to make this one of the busiest of the year as people are desperate to get away early.

Rgds
M

"proper" campsites have got busier and busier over the last few years. We have struggled to book places even in the depths of winter (when admittedly, there are a lot less sites open). That said, I think it would be unusual not to find somewhere that'll slot a little van in - or even a cheeky layby for a one night stop.

Calikev said:
I know it's not a cl site you could try Wicksteed park they will fit you in. You could pop and say hello as I am doing a car boot with the kids on sun :thumb

It would have been great to say hello, but I have turned to the dark side and have booked a B&B for the night now. What a waste of money with the Cali parked outside!

Wild camping in a layby next time sounds like a good alternative ...

We are hoping to buy a little 1/2 acre field off a family friend. I admit that is a rather drastic measure to ensure a guaranteed spot for a few nights, but it is hidden behind mature trees in a little village nearby, just 100 yards from a lovely pub.

Simon

Hi muttley

It was my first time out last week
I never booked anything before hand and was a spur of the moment decision as the weather looked favorable.I like the idea of leaving things to fate,but I guess that's ok when you have not the responsibility of having children with you.
I headed for the South Downs Sussex arrived at a camp site called Ship & Anchor close to Arundel
A lovely site that was only half full to capacity. The owner did say she was expecting to be full this weekend though.
One of the perks of being retired is to miss the bank holidays!.. :thumb

Bank holidays you need to be organised and book.
I hate the fact that most sites it's a minimum of three nights. I refuse to go to those site. If they don't want my business for just one or two nights, then I will go else where.

Off for one night on Saturday to a site (with a pub in spitting distance) for an afternoon walk along the north downs way then an evening meal in said pub.

Wish I was retired. Only 25 years to go!

How about staying "in the wild" ! ;)

We have spoke to two sites in the Peaks that say to just turn up and we will be fine.

Had a good week at Easter on the Welsh coast mixing wild camping with proper sites. Found a cracking site above Tenby.

Got a long journey tomorrow to north morte farm in mortehoe.
About 15 miles! :lol:
Plenty of room there.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Back