Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Budget hints and tips. Might have to cancel my first road trip. Too expensive :-(

Once again, huge thank you. Nice to see road trips can be done on a budget,.and by the sound of things, some really amazing road trips :) Alot of you all have the same kinda feel of amazing and brilliant memories. It really shines through on this thread :cool: The reason I've got a Cali is to try and give my kiddies some of those same memories that last a lifetime :) THANK YOU

One can easy drive 1000km in one day using the French Péage , but do count in 60-80€ extra for toll .
We have done both sevral times , using the Nationals or the tollroads is both a very diffrent way of travel .
If you go to France only one week you can do with two or three nights at a campsite , there are plenty of free aires and camperspots.
We sometimes only take a campsite every two days . In Norway we only did five campsites in three weeks traveling 3000km only in Norway .
Also we take all the food from home at least for the first week when leaving , and tin cans as back-up when stranded somewhere away from warehouses
One week or three weeks , the ferry or tunnel needs to be payed so you won't be saving money threre.
Never fill up at the péage/tollroad , use gasstations at the supermarket , lots of saving .

You need to build the Cali around your lifestyle, mine is basically a posh day van for cycling adventures, running, trips with the boy etc......

But it’s a massive expense and climate catastrophe on wheels with the sing it pumps out the back, it’s the green side of things that depresses me, otherwise it’s the best vehicle in the world.

Think of it as an educational trip, the kids will see things and learn things they simply would not see or learn staying in a single location hotel and an airport commute.
I note you don’t mention the cost of travel to from and parking at airport, transfers, trips out whilst on holiday, travel insurance, drinks, snack ice cream, incidentals and other food, ( including the airport and plane both ways) that you would still need for a airplane holiday !
Then there’s the suit case weight allowance fiasco, with possibly Extra charges?

Having spent a vast amount on the van in the first place, obviously with a plan to use for family road trips it seems strange to not value the cost of the two type of holiday you mention, in the same way ?

The hold comparison is two weeks hotel vs 3 weeks van ? So you need to add 33% to the TUI cost compared to the van holiday to give a like for like weekly cost !

From experience a family holiday half board, with a headline rate of £1700 you will most definitely have a final all encompassing bill in excess of three grand when the analysis is over and your back home

Once again, huge thank you. Nice to see road trips can be done on a budget,.and by the sound of things, some really amazing road trips :) Alot of you all have the same kinda feel of amazing and brilliant memories. It really shines through on this thread :cool: The reason I've got a Cali is to try and give my kiddies some of those same memories that last a lifetime :) THANK YOU
My eldest turns 12 next week, already he wishes he didn’t come away with us and if you ask him in a couple of years about our road trips he will probably say they were really boring and we forced him to do stuff he hated. Fast forward ten years and I’m hoping he’ll remember it differently something along the line of ‘when we were younger we went on all these great trips and saw loads of Europe in our campervan’. Maybe he’ll do the same with his family.

Whatever the cost, it is worth it.

Last edited:
My eldest turns 12 next week, already he wishes he didn’t come away with us and if you ask him in a couple of years about our road trips he will probably say they were really boring and we forced him to do stuff he hated. Fast forward ten years and I’m hoping he’ll remember it differently something along the line of ‘when we were younger we went on all these great trips and saw loads of Europe in our campervan’. Maybe he’ll do the same with his family.

Whatever the cost, it is worth it.
I have similar issue
Let the kids have a say in where you go and whats important / Fun.

I have two kids, one likes pool and sun bathing the other likes out and about adventures, they both have a say in what we do and see and often the things they think will be BOOOORING turn out to be the memorable bits of the holiday.
I agree with the sentiment that they will remember the good times and forget the lack of WiFi and other issues!
Quite often the free things turn out to be the most memorable.

Do you collect tesco points?
They are triple value on the eurotunnel- I get over three times year ( not avec un cali- yet!) and it costs me £50 in vouchers each time ! I wouldn’t save on the tolls as I think it’s a bit of a false economy ( especially if you get a speed ticket on the route nationals- done that) What might help spread the cost is a “ emovis” tag for the tolls- you get billed the following month ( they aren’t any cheaper but are a hell of a lot more convenient).
also look at booking a cheap eurocamp for one night as a stop- the ferry/ tunnel prices are really competitive with them and have always undercut the prices I have looked at direct

I have similar issue
Let the kids have a say in where you go and whats important / Fun.

I have two kids, one likes pool and sun bathing the other likes out and about adventures, they both have a say in what we do and see and often the things they think will be BOOOORING turn out to be the memorable bits of the holiday.
I agree with the sentiment that they will remember the good times and forget the lack of WiFi and other issues!
Quite often the free things turn out to be the most memorable.
If I let my kids choose what we did we’d spend the summer playing Fifa 20 on the PS4

Here's my theory. Your right to fly and stay in a hotel is probably cheaper. BUT. I did a tour of Switzerland France and Germany in mine. Had the most amazing time. I would have paid double to do that again rather than be a boring banana in a hotel. But I saved money by filling the fridge with beers and using my cadac. I wouldn't change it for all the money in the world. Fill your fridge. Buy a cadac and hit the road mate. You will never ever regret it.

I'll throw in an unrequested alternative if I may. If you go to Italy instead of Spain , through Germany, you have no motorway costs in Germany. You can visit even some nice cities in Germany or by the lake just south of Munich. I know of a couple of camping places by the lake starnberg where it will cost you 20-30 € per night only, and your kids will have fun bathing in the lake or bicycling along its banks.
Diesel in Germany is 1.20 to 1.30€ a litre, very cheap (don't refuel at the stops on the autobahn as they are 20cent more expensive) .
From there you can go to the beach in Italy in 5 hours in Cavallino. There, camping sites will cost you 50€ a day , but it will include amazing swimming pools, day and evening animation, and other attractions. If you refuel while you drive through Austria, diesel it' even cheaper than Germany, and you'll manage to go to Cavallino and back with a tank. Or you can just go exploring the dolomites as an alternative. There on average you'll spend less , about 40€ per day
If you do that, i can guarantee you your kids will annoy you for a year to go back next year .That is what my daughter does with me.

I'll throw in an unrequested alternative if I may. If you go to Italy instead of Spain , through Germany, you have no motorway costs in Germany. You can visit even some nice cities in Germany or by the lake just south of Munich. I know of a couple of camping places by the lake starnberg where it will cost you 20-30 € per night only, and your kids will have fun bathing in the lake or bicycling along its banks.
Diesel in Germany is 1.20 to 1.30€ a litre, very cheap (don't refuel at the stops on the autobahn as they are 20cent more expensive) .
From there you can go to the beach in Italy in 5 hours in Cavallino. There, camping sites will cost you 50€ a day , but it will include amazing swimming pools, day and evening animation, and other attractions. If you refuel while you drive through Austria, diesel it' even cheaper than Germany, and you'll manage to go to Cavallino and back with a tank. Or you can just go exploring the dolomites as an alternative. There on average you'll spend less , about 40€ per day
If you do that, i can guarantee you your kids will annoy you for a year to go back next year .That is what my daughter does with me.
Ooh, really interesting idea...... we went to the edge of the Dolomites in a hire car for a day trip when we flew to lake Garda last year. Amazing place, we found some fantastic roads and tunnels.
At May half term they were still repairing roads from snow melt damage and the weather was very changeable - beach weather one day, cold and wet the next.......

Thanks.

We are leaving UK 22 May and staying for around a week (hopefully). Nothing certain yet as re planning a whole new route due to this threads hints and tips , but Northern France seems a good choice.and yes, a pool would be a proper treat, my kids love the water!!

My children are 11 (boy) and little girl (6 - going on 18).

It would be absolutely wonderful to meet anyone around then, even for a quick cuppa ;-)
We are awaiting our first Cali to arrive but we have stayed at a variety of Yelloh Village sites in Brittany over the last 3 years. Our kids are about to turn 8 and 6 and love both of these. These 2 sites are highly recommended. The evening entertainment at Ocean Breton was superb last year. The beaches in Brittany are stunning.

Thanks all, unfortunately I don't shop at Tesco, its too far but been routing around for discounts for p&o ferries now that I out that idea in my head. I found this tonight, no way near as good as the Tesco deal but hopefully this can help some of you save some £s :) Nice to input something myself to save you all some £s as a massive thank you :) I'm genuinely overwhelmed by all the comments and advice! :thumb :D :thumb
Screenshot_20200111-005806_Chrome.jpg

Our kids are older now (20 & 18) but of all the holidays we went on, from keeping to a budget to much more expensive, their two favorite holidays were when we hired a camper van. We didn’t get a Cali until they were too old to want to come with us, so hired vans.

First we did Northern France in a big white, then Canada in what we thought would be a beast, but turned out to be quite small by Canadian standards.

Obviously, Canada was not cheap at all (we knew it would be the last holiday we could do like that as the kids got older). The point is that we now regret not buying a Cali sooner, whilst they were younger. They loved the freedom of roaming from place to place, meeting new kids every few days, finding different places to go and explore. They really didn’t care where we were or how much we spent...they loved it for what it was, an adventure.

Over the years, we spent much more on package holidays which are now long forgotten, but the camping ones they loved. Wherever you choose to go, even if it’s 10 miles down the road, I’m sure they will love it and the whole family will have lifelong memories.

The beaches in Brittany are stunning.
Another benefit of holidaying in Brittany is that since 1532 there have been no road or bridge tolls. This is unlikely to change soon.

On the downside, it is possible to have a two week summer holiday in the region and suffer from daily drizzle rolling in from the Atlantic.

I bet average speed using French back roads will be at
If I let my kids choose what we did we’d spend the summer playing Fifa 20 on the PS4

Still, that’s not a bad way to spend a few days ;)

As you’ve booked the ferry...
Reduce trip by a week.
Travel up the west coast of france.. visit
Biscarrose Plage and lake (lovely beach)
Dune du Pilat (my kids were amazed by this and loved it)
Ile de Oleron (went on ptit train, my kids loved this)
And visit Puy du Fou (absolutely amazing & worth the expense)

Eat beans on toast most days and you’re kids will have a holiday they wont forget!

How bad does your van smell, after a few days of baked beans...

Biscarosse is a good call. Loads around that way to keep the kids entertained.

Funny enough we took about 6 cans away last year and I'm sure we came home with 5!! We don't really eat many beans while away but it doesn’t stop the van from stinking!

Hi Mark we always camped in the south of France when our daughter was younger she still maintains they were her favorite holidays and much preferred them to hotels.

I have taken our camper to Salou, crossed Dover to Calais avoided most of the tolls and went via Vielha tunnel through the Pyrenees, didn't really eat out much as we prefer to stay on the beach until late then have a lazy dinner & drinks without the need for getting dressed up. I think last year we paid about 20-25 Euro a night on a site called La Siesta, fab facilities and close to the beach. We shopped in Lidl and spent about 10-15 Euro a day on food and drink. Hope all the response you have had helps and what ever you decide you and your family have a great time..

Mark,

We stayed on this campsite a couple of years back and the kids loved it.. when we went in August, the weather was lovely.

Just looked and a pitch for a week in May is less about £130 (2 adults and 2 kids)

CCBBE6DF-0A34-4730-9B34-4E797FA8AEF9.png

5D11EE63-0231-4E08-B954-F87DEDF508F5.png

Our kids are older now (20 & 18) but of all the holidays we went on, from keeping to a budget to much more expensive, their two favorite holidays were when we hired a camper van. We didn’t get a Cali until they were too old to want to come with us, so hired vans.

First we did Northern France in a big white, then Canada in what we thought would be a beast, but turned out to be quite small by Canadian standards.

Obviously, Canada was not cheap at all (we knew it would be the last holiday we could do like that as the kids got older). The point is that we now regret not buying a Cali sooner, whilst they were younger. They loved the freedom of roaming from place to place, meeting new kids every few days, finding different places to go and explore. They really didn’t care where we were or how much we spent...they loved it for what it was, an adventure.

Over the years, we spent much more on package holidays which are now long forgotten, but the camping ones they loved. Wherever you choose to go, even if it’s 10 miles down the road, I’m sure they will love it and the whole family will have lifelong memories.
Very wise words, thank you!:thumb

Back