Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken spring - AGAIN!

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
so just failed MOT due to broken front spring (ouch costly)
not hit any potholes or debris or anything I would have noticed that!
3 years ago I had another broken spring found at MOT time
2 springs in 3 years????!!!
Jan 2012 bus...35000 miles...( i know, get out more)..never been overloaded...
never ever had a broken spring on any other VW or car in my life till this..
is it a common prob on Calis? Are they rubbish springs or have built in short life?
and could I / should i replace them with stronger versions (not into the lowering route at all)
or is components that wear out / break quickly now just a fact of life...

so just failed MOT due to broken front spring (ouch costly)
not hit any potholes or debris or anything I would have noticed that!
3 years ago I had another broken spring found at MOT time
2 springs in 3 years????!!!
is it a common prob on Calis? Are they rubbish springs or have built in short life?
and could I / should i replace them with stronger versions (not into the lowering route at all)
Well you are either extremely unlucky or it’s something you or your vehicle are doing.
Not a common Forum topic. I’ve just topped 90,000 miles on my original springs and I have definitely hit some potholes and speed humps on my travels.
GrannyJen even managed to burst 1 or possibly it was 2 front tyres when she tried to launch into orbit in Scotland some years back but didn break any springs.

Give a shout out on here for some replacement
springs,
when had mine lowered i had the old ones lying around for
ages before i found someone who would take them for free.

Hi David haven’t heard of front springs breaking before but lots of rears . Our roads are in the worst state I’ve known in the last 48 yrs of driving in UK . There are also many speed humps poorly marked / illuminated . I’m thinking of upgrading front suspension to Bilstein B6 . Rear is T32 Bilstein B6 and big improvement .[/QUOTE]

Two years ago I had 2 broken font springs & one rear.
I knew one front was broken, I heard it brake. Others were a surprise when vw replaced them.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Garages now say that broken springs is a regular MOT or Service inspection fault.

Lots of standard springs on Ebay due to taking off for lowered ones being fitted.

I was told a while ago that part of the problem is that European vehilcles don't have the ends of the coils machined so that they sit flat on the spring seat. So there is basically only a point contact which unduly stresses the spring leading to failure. Apparently Japanese vehicles still have machined springs so dont suffer the same.

Both rear springs went on my Cali (2010) a year apart at about 20,000 miles. Local garage said the top of the screen is tapered which makes it weaker. They replaced with non-tapered springs. I expect front springs are more complicated to replace but it will be worth getting a price from a local garage if you have a good one. Bound to be cheaper than the dealer

I have had a leaking inside front shock and broken inside front spring on consequtive MOTs. I am sure it is down to appalling potholes on my regular daily route.

I have a set of standard spring from my T6 , if they are of any use you are welcome to them.

Just failed MOT on my 2016 Cali Beach - rear spring broken!
Shocking, only 48k and not yet 4-yrs...
Waiting to see if VW will cover on my factory extended warranty.

Just failed MOT on my 2016 Cali Beach - rear spring broken!
Shocking, only 48k and not yet 4-yrs...
Waiting to see if VW will cover on my factory extended warranty.
Covered by factory extended warranty :)
Just a little annoyed in had to point out I had the warranty cover and ask the question...

Covered by factory extended warranty :)
Just a little annoyed in had to point out I had the warranty cover and ask the question...
Surprised that springs are not in the 'wear and tear' exclusion category.

Surprised that springs are not in the 'wear and tear' exclusion category.
The phrase used in our conversation was "reasonable wear and tear."
Less than four years is unreasonable in my view, unless mileage and/or load is excessive.
They've agreed to it, so I'm not going to agrue!