Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bristol propose to ban diesel vehicles by March 2021

Quite confusing looking at the Bath website as says doesn’t apply to private cars even if not compliant.
Don’t visit often but can see some of those roads at the margin becoming even more of a rat run.
They must be taking body type into account as an M1 Cali Euro 5 is chargeable. Is it considered a van? Doesn’t mention/exclude motorhomes. Anyone have any better knowledge?

View attachment 75789
You are right that it takes body type into account. There is a slim possibility it could be open to legal challenge as I don’t think that any of the information on their website now or during the public consultation ever made it clear that certain subsets of M1 would be chargeable.
To establish it any other way than simply trusting the online checker you have to read the legal “charging order” ,which seems to be what put’s the zone into law, and cross reference it with definitions in a 1994 act that I can’t remember the name of.
For me it’s pretty inconvenient but will just mean I use the other car more so I suppose it’s served it’s purpose.
They have done a pretty good job of having an area that is small but at the same time covers lots of the obvious rat runs.
Overall I think they have done a reasonable job with the Bath one, I think the private car exemption is good idea as it seems to avoid penalising those that can least afford to pay.
It’s a shame Bristol didn’t go the same way.
I’ll just pay the charges for now.

Bristol clean air zone will be live from 28 November so please check your vehicle's and travel plans.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Bristol clean air zone will be live from 28 November so please check your vehicle's and travel plans.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
No charge for my MY22. OK it is RDE2 compliant, but was the top of this thread a load of hot, noxious, particle-filled gas then?

No charge for my MY21 Ocean.

T5.1 2014. No Charges.
5972B8BE-66C7-439E-A3C7-99E0BDEED2F1.jpeg

No charge for my MY22. OK it is RDE2 compliant, but was the top of this thread a load of hot, noxious, particle-filled gas then?
Yes.

Any modern dictator looking to conquer a city, unable to win militarily, would look to stave such city off in order to force it to surrender. Instead of destroying roads, bridges and tunnels, quite time consuming and expensive, they should instead just impose a diesel vehicle ban.

I think I agree with Clean Air Zones. With a 2008 T5 it’ll cost me though. We need a combination of carrot and stick. It’s the laws and charges that have made your 2014 vans cleaner. London air has got so much better. I think it might even be legal now.

24D452AD-FD00-47C6-95F8-B7DA3EC1B22E.jpeg

They've introduced one in Sheffield. Strangley they've charged buses and taxis but private cars still ok. For now. Inoften wonder how it qould work for night shift workers. Do you pay on the way in on one day and then again on the way home the next day? Tossers. As usual up here they don't provide an alternative before punishing workers for driving

So I have just checked our van and there is no charge for us luckily, however I see that the council have placed Temple Meads rail station ‘just’ inside the zone……. So how will this encourage people to take the train? We sometimes have to collect family from the station, if I had to pay it would be a bit more tricky (I suppose could park on the North side of the river and walk over the pedestrian bridge)

I think it’s a good idea badly thought out :(

I see leccy cars are now going to pay road tax. Didn't take long did it.

Checked our T6 150 Ocean ( euro 6 ) & it’s £9 per day . Our son lives in Easton & my brother in Long Ashton . Will have to travel a different route between the two. Must admit I’m surprised . Can challenge .

Last edited:
Checked our T6 150 Ocean ( euro 6 ) & it’s £9 per day . Our son lives in Easton & my brother in Long Ashton . Will have to travel a different route between the two. Must admit I’m surprised . Can challenge .
That’s strange, I checked my 2019 T6 and there were no charges listed.

That’s strange, I checked my 2019 T6 and there were no charges listed.
Mine is 2016 T6 . Just checked a conversation I had with VW guru in 2019 . Van serviced breeze May 2019. Martin said adblue update recall 23Z7 came out July 2019.
Not sure we ever had this done at our local VW Snows Plymouth in 2019/2020. Can’t find anything on the documents . Will check on Monday. UPDATE software 23Z7 was done.

VW recalls the T6 model due to emissions 2019​

Volkswagen has announced a new recall for 185,323 VW T6 models produced between October 1, 2014, and November 1, 2017, which covers California (Beach), Multivan, Kombi and Caravelle variants equipped with the 2.0 TDI Euro 6 engines.
During the regeneration of the diesel particulate filter, increased nitrogen oxide emissions may occur. The remedy is a software update that takes about an hour in the workshop.
According to VW, fuel consumption, CO2 emissions, engine power, torque, noise emissions, and exhaust aftertreatment devices should not be affected by this update.

Last edited:
WARNING Check your V5

I phoned Bristol clean air zone . They say V5 doesn’t say it’s euro 6 engine.

We bought the cali new from Eurovans Crawley.
VW customer service says we can not change the V5 but can apply for a Certificate of Conformity.

Bristol insist we have a V5 with euro 6. & certificate of conformity.

Dear Mrs

Thank you for your recent request for certificate of conformity.
To request a Certificate of Conformity the customer must email type.approval@vwg.co.uk.co.uk with the following details included:
Full Name
Registration number/ VIN
Customer contact details (usually email address)
Full postal address

For legal reasons, we are unable to provide photocopies or scanned copies of the Certificate of Conformity.

I hope this information proves to be of use, if you have any further inquiries, please call us on the number 0800 783 4909. Our opening hours are: Monday to Friday, 08:00 – 18:00. Please quote the reference number above upon contacting us

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK Commercial vehicles Customer Services.

Kind regards

Shekh Mehmudo
Customer Relations Advisor
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles

T 0800 783 4909
E customercare@vwcv.co.uk

it could take several weeks to get the certificate.
Anyone else encountering this probleM.

WARNING Check your V5

I phoned Bristol clean air zone . They say V5 doesn’t say it’s euro 6 engine.

We bought the cali new from Eurovans Crawley.
VW customer service says we can not change the V5 but can apply for a Certificate of Conformity.

Bristol insist we have a V5 with euro 6. & certificate of conformity.

Dear Mrs

Thank you for your recent request for certificate of conformity.
To request a Certificate of Conformity the customer must email type.approval@vwg.co.uk.co.uk with the following details included:
Full Name
Registration number/ VIN
Customer contact details (usually email address)
Full postal address

For legal reasons, we are unable to provide photocopies or scanned copies of the Certificate of Conformity.

I hope this information proves to be of use, if you have any further inquiries, please call us on the number 0800 783 4909. Our opening hours are: Monday to Friday, 08:00 – 18:00. Please quote the reference number above upon contacting us

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK Commercial vehicles Customer Services.

Kind regards

Shekh Mehmudo
Customer Relations Advisor
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles

T 0800 783 4909
E customercare@vwcv.co.uk

it could take several weeks to get the certificate.
Anyone else encountering this probleM.
Hi @calimera that’s a strange one. Is the ‘Euro status’ left blank on your V5 or does it say something else?

F90FB59E-9DA2-475B-BC6B-ADF8CF14FE5B.jpeg

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK Commercial Vehicles regarding an issue with incorrect specification about the Euro Emission standard of the vehicle mentioned above.

I am truly apologised for the issue you have encountered,

I have contacted Carrs Volkswagen Van Centre Exeter and spoke to Marcus in service, i have explained the process and he has informed:

Customer can bring in the vehicle with V5 and proof on ID and they will help as much as they can.

VW Carrs is over an hour from us near Plymouth. Apparently will look at V5 then draft a letter to branch support(VW) who will send us a letter.( will take weeks). Then we have to send letter & V5 to DVLA so they can issue a corrected V5 certificate ,which will take weeks.
Have also contacted Eurovans Crawley who we originally bought the Cali (NEW) in 2016.

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK Commercial Vehicles regarding an issue with incorrect specification about the Euro Emission standard of the vehicle mentioned above.

I have contacted Carrs Volkswagen Van Centre Exeter and spoke to Marcus in service, i have explained the process and he has informed:

Customer can bring in the vehicle with V5 and proof on ID and they will help as much as they can.

VW Carrs is over an hour from us near Plymouth. Apparently will look at V5 then draft a letter to branch support(VW) who will send us a letter.( will take weeks). Then we have to send letter & V5 to DVLA so they can issue a corrected V5 certificate ,which will take weeks.
Have also contacted Eurovans Crawley who we originally bought the Cali (NEW) in 2016.
What a pain !!!

Have also contacted Eurovans Crawley who we originally bought the Cali (NEW) in

Is it definitely a euro 6 engine?

Is it definitely a euro 6 engine?
Of course it is. How could it not be !!!!As mentioned above T6. We add adblue. It is administrative error by Eurovans Crawley who we ordered it from. It’s a really pain to sort out. Could take weeks.

Volkswagen California Ocean SWB EU6 150 PS 2.0 TDI BMT 7sp DSG 2016
Clue is EU6

Of course it is. How could it not be !!!!As mentioned above T6. We add adblue. It is administrative error by Eurovans Crawley who we ordered it from. It’s a really pain to sort out. Could take weeks.

Clue is EU6
Do you need to go into Bristol regularly @calimera ? If so and this issue causes you inconvenience and cost, it might be worth pursuing a ‘gesture of goodwill’ from Eurovans.
Obviously needs to be sorted as more and more clean air zones are implemnted.

Do you need to go into Bristol regularly @calimera ? If so and this issue causes you inconvenience and cost, it might be worth pursuing a ‘gesture of goodwill’ from Eurovans.
Obviously needs to be sorted as more and more clean air zones are implemnted.
Thank you . Have already contacted Eurovans Crawley yesterday. Send email to Mike Harbinson who sold us the Cali. He has forwarded the V5 to their admin department. Have also requested email address of sales manager.
We love the Cali . It’s had its problems but fixed by warranty & by the helpful members on this forum. Latest job , husband going to fix control panel by fitting a new front fascia with new control knob . Always recommend this forum to other Cali owners we meet.
Marcus Arscott Carrs Exeter has checked the process to rectify the V5 is correct . So we don’t have a wasted journey. He will scan the V5 & send an email to VW branch support team. Also have to take cali & ID.

Clue is EU6
I think @Explorer was asking as some early 2016 T6s still had the euro 5 engine.

Back