Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bristol propose to ban diesel vehicles by March 2021

Thanks for that - this is also what I have heard in the past.

However - someone I know who works for the council has said that retro fits will be OK as long as can get onto the V5 (not sure if this is even possible).

I have also heard speak of the conversion costing around £2000 - which may be slightly cheaper than a Bimmer! (although nowhere near as fun!!)

Does anyone know what's entailed with the conversion? Or has anyone in Bath (where the scheme is already up and running) experienced anything to do with this?

Much appreciated!

As far as I am aware the Bath scheme only applies to commercial vehicles so not an issue for Cali owners.
Are the details of the Bristol scheme confirmed now?

As far as I am aware the Bath scheme only applies to commercial vehicles so not an issue for Cali owners.
Bristol CAZ (Clean Air Zone) has been confirmed. Currently set for October start.

Bristol CAZ (Clean Air Zone) has been confirmed. Currently set for October start.
I need to get out more! I had missed that the bath one is already active.
Interestingly the BANES gov website defines defines a private car as vehicle category M1 and exempt from the charge and but using vehicle checker posted by @Lightning my van comes up as liable for the £9 per day even though the V5 states vehicle category M1. Be interesting to see what happens next time I need to go to Bath!

I now have renewed interest in the conversion and have sent an enquiry to these people who seem to have the best developed solution and already have a certification route for busses & coaches

You can check your vehicle here:

I put the Reg of my T6 Cali in and it came up as no charge for Bath(now) or Birmingham (coming soon).

Much as I don't want to kick off the EV debate again, this made me laugh (and cry, a little... we are so doomed).

1616682365854.png

Incorrect I'm afraid. Applies to all classes of vehicles according to the relevant vehicle checkers.

Incorrect I'm afraid. Applies to all classes of vehicles according to the relevant vehicle checkers.
Agree, the info on the Bathnes website & the way it was shared during consultation has been a bit misleading so appeared inconsistent with the checker.

Taken from a story in the Telegraph
News

Bristol will ban all diesel vehicles from city under new proposal

Bristol could become the UK's first city to introduce a ban on diesel vehicles to boost air quality.

The vehicles will be prohibited from entering a central area of the city between 7am and 3pm every day under proposals by Bristol City Council.

A wider charging zone for commercial vehicles such as buses, taxis, vans and lorries which do not meet certain emissions standards is part of the measures which could be implemented by March 2021.

There is also a plan to launch a car scrappage scheme to help diesel car owners buy an alternative vehicle.

Concerns over emissions of nitrogen dioxide (NO2) have grown since Volkswagen was found in September 2015 to have cheated air pollution tests for 11 million diesel vehicles worldwide, including 1.2 million in the UK.

Bristol City Council said in 2017 it was one of 24 local authorities ordered by the Government to submit a plan for how it will comply with legal limits on NO2 by March 2021.

The Government has urged councils to exhaust other options before opting to impose charging zones.

Mayor of Bristol Marvin Rees said: "These ambitious plans demonstrate our commitment to tackling air pollution so we meet legal limits within the shortest time, without disproportionally affecting citizens on lower incomes which would happen with a blanket approach to charging vehicles.

"Protecting the most vulnerable people from pollution is central to these plans and we have ensured that all impacts have been carefully considered.

"If approved, mitigation measures will support those most affected, especially those living in the most deprived communities."

The council's cabinet is being asked to approve the Clean Air Zone proposal at a meeting on November 5.

If the plan is passed, the council would then work on developing the scheme with the Joint Air Quality Unit established by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and the Department for Transport.

RAC head of roads policy Nicholas Lyes said: "We recognise that efforts must be made to clean up the city's air but as things stand, the impact of the proposals published today on people who currently drive diesel vehicles would be unprecedented.

"Major routes into, out of, and even around the city - like Temple Way and Brunel Way - would become out of bounds, with diesel vehicles forced on to other roads, which risks causing congestion problems where they don't exist at the moment."

Lawyer Katie Nield, of green legal group ClientEarth, said: "Bristol City Council is finally responding to residents' pollution worries and looking to strengthen its proposals, but while these new plans represent a step in the right direction, they once again stop short of ridding the city of its illegally toxic air with the necessary urgency."

Data published by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders shows that during the first nine months of the year diesels held just 25.8% of the new car market, compared with 31.7% during the same period in 2018.

This is due to increases in the proportion of motorists buying petrol and alternatively-fuelled vehicles such as hybrids and battery electrics.
What about the Luxury cruise ships, or floating cities that formerly berthed in Bristol pre Cv 19. They will return post lockdown and are powered by some of the dirtiest fuel possible. Cruise ships can emit as much particulate matter as a million cars every day. Bristol council are having a severe case of cognitive dissonance by targeting only diesel cars but they’re giving a free pass to cruise companies that spew out toxic fumes that do immeasurable harm both to those on board and on nearby shores. This is very myopic.

What about the Luxury cruise ships, or floating cities that formerly berthed in Bristol pre Cv 19. They will return post lockdown and are powered by some of the dirtiest fuel possible. Cruise ships can emit as much particulate matter as a million cars every day. Bristol council are having a severe case of cognitive dissonance by targeting only diesel cars but they’re giving a free pass to cruise companies that spew out toxic fumes that do immeasurable harm both to those on board and on nearby shores. This is very myopic.
Bristol does not accommodate any cruise ships these days, except for the SS Great Britain, it’s harbour is way too small. Wotaboutism is not really a solution either.

Bristol does not accommodate any cruise ships these days, except for the SS Great Britain, it’s harbour is way too small. Wotaboutism is not really a solution either.
According to Bristol Cruise Terminal 'Cruise & Maritime Voyages Web page they offer. Cruises embarking at Bristol Port aboard cruise ship Marco Polo in Avonmouth and Magellan in Royal Portbury Docks' (BCT 2021). The thread is not about providing solutions, it's clearly connected to the use of the California in Bristols inner City. And I providing a balanced rational point of other contributers to the pollution problem. This does not enter the term rhetoric or moreover tu quoque, must base your post on all the known criteria. Not on your individual impression with the 'whataboutism' retort. As I would be happy to read any attached scholarly articles to substantiate. Cheers

According to Bristol Cruise Terminal 'Cruise & Maritime Voyages Web page they offer. Cruises embarking at Bristol Port aboard cruise ship Marco Polo in Avonmouth and Magellan in Royal Portbury Docks' (BCT 2021). The thread is not about providing solutions, it's clearly connected to the use of the California in Bristols inner City. And I providing a balanced rational point of other contributers to the pollution problem. This does not enter the term rhetoric or moreover tu quoque, must base your post on all the known criteria. Not on your individual impression with the 'whataboutism' retort. As I would be happy to read any attached scholarly articles to substantiate. Cheers
Would you please explain what 'tu quoque' means, as I haven't a clue and I suspect most of us don't? We're just Cali owners.

:thumb

Ok, Avonmouth is so far from the Bristol LEZ, I think of it as Avonmouth, as do most Bristolians.
Did read the thread, have you noticed that the proposal in the Telegraph article you linked was very out of date?
Wotabout China and all their power stations though?

Ok, Avonmouth is so far from the Bristol LEZ, I think of it as Avonmouth, as do most Bristolians.
Did read the thread, have you noticed that the proposal in the Telegraph article you linked was very out of date?
Wotabout China and all their power stations though?
That's a really strong point, the so called developing nations. Do not for reasons unknown have to pay the same tariff for excess pollution unlike thier colonial neighbours. Who are heavily charged. Australia's biggest problem's are over irrigation and rising salinity. The Uk's is heavy industustry, power generators and Airlines. I don't think Joe public can do without those.

That's a really strong point, the so called developing nations. Do not for reasons unknown have to pay the same tariff for excess pollution unlike thier colonial neighbours. Who are heavily charged. Australia's biggest problem's are over irrigation and rising salinity. The Uk's is heavy industustry, power generators and Airlines. I don't think Joe public can do without those.
Typo industry

So, just to be clear, because I only went to a comprehensive school. Bristol should not ban diesel vehicles because of cruise ships, China and Austraila?

So, just to be clear, because I only went to a comprehensive school. Bristol should not ban diesel vehicles because of cruise ships, China and Austraila?
Typo Australia. My grammar is no better than my spelling.

Typo Australia. My grammar is no better than my spelling.
No thats not the case at all. But it would make an amusing public forum submission, to Bristols participating Councillors in advance of thier next zoom meeting.

No thats not the case at all. But it would make an amusing public forum submission, to Bristols participating Councillors in advance of thier next zoom meeting.
It would be hilarious wouldn’t it? So funny. Like really very amusing.

Anyway where were we, oh yes. Bristol propose to introduce an LEZ and you object because of cruise ships at Avonmouth?

It would be hilarious wouldn’t it? So funny. Like really very amusing.

Anyway where were we, oh yes. Bristol propose to introduce an LEZ and you object because of cruise ships at Avonmouth?
No football and beer now its getting rather tedious and mundane.

...er... OK!

Has anyone had any experience or knowledge of adapting/retrofitting T5s to make them Euro 6 compliant?

Thanks all..

Have you found a company that is currently able to do this on a T5.1? I can only find solutions for bus, coach & taxi.

Have you found a company that is currently able to do this on a T5.1? I can only find solutions for bus, coach & taxi.

No, not yet looked into it properly. I was interested in whether anyone else had.

Quite confusing looking at the Bath website as says doesn’t apply to private cars even if not compliant.
Don’t visit often but can see some of those roads at the margin becoming even more of a rat run.
They must be taking body type into account as an M1 Cali Euro 5 is chargeable. Is it considered a van? Doesn’t mention/exclude motorhomes. Anyone have any better knowledge?

F3B012BB-B16B-4C55-8A3A-FB8E37F79BCC.png

Back