Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bridgestone all season

Mine on the front are still going strong. Around 12k on them which is pretty exceptional when on 18in and lowered. I suppose less urban driving helps.

Real mixed bag with the A005 on the Cali but I do find the tyres mighty in tricky wet conditions. I came back through Wales recently and it was like I was on full wets and everyone else was on inters.

I have a set going on the XC70 tomorrow. Paid around £118 each (18in) so a bit of a steal. The Volvo is a lot softer on tyres. These are to replace a set of half work Maxxis Premitra tyres which are horrible and wobble when cold on a hit and miss basis.

Well the Bridgestones are finally off the Cali and now fully on Cross Climates. The transformation was instant(A005 were on the rear and circa 3mm) and the Cali is much less susceptible to camber pull / camber changes which I'm now starting to experience on the Volvo.

I wouldn't recommend the Bridgestone for the California and now regretting my choice on the Volvo.

After my 2 week, 3600km jaunt in the Coast I can safely say the Bridgestones suck. Soft walls and a tread pattern that is an absolute stone magnet. No wonder some have had repeated issues with them puncturing. Once stuck in the tread thats where the rocks stay constantly burrowing into the tyre carcass. Luckily no punctures for me but I was constantly prising out the pebbles, just in case. Can't wait to be rid of these Bridgestones.

After my 2 week, 3600km jaunt in the Coast I can safely say the Bridgestones suck. Soft walls and a tread pattern that is an absolute stone magnet. No wonder some have had repeated issues with them puncturing. Once stuck in the tread thats where the rocks stay constantly burrowing into the tyre carcass. Luckily no punctures for me but I was constantly prising out the pebbles, just in case. Can't wait to be rid of these Bridgestones.
My three punctures in a few months were all in the sidewall. They really are unsuited to the Cali and VW shouldn’t fit them.

Well the Bridgestones are finally off the Cali and now fully on Cross Climates. The transformation was instant(A005 were on the rear and circa 3mm) and the Cali is much less susceptible to camber pull / camber changes which I'm now starting to experience on the Volvo.

I wouldn't recommend the Bridgestone for the California and now regretting my choice on the Volvo.
are those SUV cross climates ?

I drive my Coast on Continental VanContact 4season tyres, and drove 21000 km, also on many gravel roads, with no issues at all. They still look and feel “as new” The MPG on average is very good (7.0 L/100 km or 40 MPG). So highly recommended

are those SUV cross climates ?
Yes I believe so. California is now a joy to drive with a straight steering wheel. (Also changed the bushes)

Interesting to note that the camber pull I had on the Cali is now the affecting the Volvo with is also shod with Bridgestone A005

Yes I believe so. California is now a joy to drive with a straight steering wheel. (Also changed the bushes)

Interesting to note that the camber pull I had on the Cali is now the affecting the Volvo with is also shod with Bridgestone A005
Thats very interesting re camber pull, suggesting its tyre rather than bushes. I discussed what the difference was between normal vector xl and suv version with Goodyear uk,. They said SUV was designed higher centre of gravity which makes we wonder if thats why it’s sensitive to camber on non SUV version . I was actually interested in the tyre edge wear which meant scraping tyres with still 3mm left about 11-12K miles on the front.
SUV or commercial 215 seems the way forward.

I have the Michelin 235/60/17 SUV CrossClimates fitted.

For serious durability and roughish terrain I'd go for the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate, pricey but---

Thats very interesting re camber pull, suggesting its tyre rather than bushes. I discussed what the difference was between normal vector xl and suv version with Goodyear uk,. They said SUV was designed higher centre of gravity which makes we wonder if thats why it’s sensitive to camber on non SUV version . I was actually interested in the tyre edge wear which meant scraping tyres with still 3mm left about 11-12K miles on the front.
SUV or commercial 215 seems the way forward.
Too early on the Cross Climates to tell. Just replaced the rear Bridgestone and swapped back to front with the new CCs.

The main issue for junking the Bridgestones was the front tyre wear. Also the main reason for replacing the bushes as well. About 9-11k mileage so its tallies with yours. I think the 103 loading is too low. My X5 is the same weight / GVW and has a lot higher load rating.

I was thinking of an ATR tyre which seems to last a lot longer. A 235/55 R18

Too early on the Cross Climates to tell. Just replaced the rear Bridgestone and swapped back to front with the new CCs.

The main issue for junking the Bridgestones was the front tyre wear. Also the main reason for replacing the bushes as well. About 9-11k mileage so its tallies with yours. I think the 103 loading is too low. My X5 is the same weight / GVW and has a lot higher load rating.

I was thinking of an ATR tyre which seems to last a lot longer. A 235/55 R18
Similar to you, but I fitted the CROSSCLIMATE 2 235/55R17 103Y XL to the front with the original Bridgestone summer tyres still on the back. These are not SUV specific tyres, but being XL they are perfectly suitable for the California.

It’s early days to get a view on durability but I can say they are very reassuring and have transformed the handling. Dare I say they have made the Cali more fun to drive! :)

Back