Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bridges

This looks like a Transporter Bridge I have not visited. Which one is it? I have been to Portugalete/Getxo, Newport and Rochefort, Charente-Maritime. Pictures of Rochefort, Charente-Maritime earlier in this tread. post 6.
It's on the River Tees in Middlebrough. Sadly it's not currently in use.

Middlesbrough also has the Newport bridge, a vertical lift bridge. Amazing engineering unfortunately rendered obsolete by structural concrete.

newport.png

It's on the River Tees in Middlebrough. Sadly it's not currently in use.

Middlesbrough also has the Newport bridge, a vertical lift bridge. Amazing engineering unfortunately rendered obsolete by structural concrete.

View attachment 99584

Here’s a railway lifting bridge over the River Ravensbourne on the Greenwich Lewisham border. (The bridge in front is a footbridge.)

The Ha’penny Hatch, Deptford.

3f56d7b3bfdfa0dd8f2cb7466ff43b9d.jpg

Here’s a railway lifting bridge over the River Ravensbourne on the Greenwich Lewisham border.

I have worked on that bridge & the adjacent viaduct.
That bridge is on one of the very earliest rail lines in the world. The original lifting bridge there was built in 1838 when the whole rail network was only a few hundred miles, Stephensons Rocket & the first steam hauled railways were circa 1835.

The current bridge does not lift as the rails do not have a joint in them but it is a listed structure so will be staying there. Prior to 1963 the bridge was manually operated, took an hour to lift & required 10-14 men to operate it. The rails were actually unbolted & removed every time it was lifted.

Last edited:
The Bridge in Bordeaux is, as a lot of French bridges are, amazing. The central section is raised parallel 20m in the air by four corkscrew drives, one at each corner. I took a time lapse of it opening and even then it was still dreadfully slow to watch.Screenshot 2022-09-21 at 16.02.48.png

The Bridge in Bordeaux is, as a lot of French bridges are, amazing.
Opened in 2013 works exactly the same as the Greenwich bridge in Amarillo's post, Ok its a slightly longer span & lifts it bit higher but its taken the French 175 years to catch up!

Opened in 2013 works exactly the same as the Greenwich bridge in Amarillo's post, Ok its a slightly longer span & lifts it bit higher but its taken the French 175 years to catch up!
That's quite a fascinating link through time. As always though the French do it with Style!

The Bridge in Bordeaux is, as a lot of French bridges are, amazing. The central section is raised parallel 20m in the air by four corkscrew drives, one at each corner. I took a time lapse of it opening and even then it was still dreadfully slow to watch.View attachment 99647
Hmm. That looks like a Boris Johnson 'Brexit' bridge to me (Sorry, but I just had to say it).

Sustrans were hoping to get another like that for pedestrians and cyclists between Rotherhithe and Canary Wharf to save pedestrians and cyclists from running the gauntlet of the Rotherhithe Tunnel.
355ca5f1c158102c7bed4c0102220cb0.jpg

The raised bridge needs to be at least as high at the QE2 bridge at the Dartford River Crossings.

Stumbled across this one today, it was awesome to walk across and we virtually had it to ourselves :thumb5FAB74D3-5524-4098-B63D-974C3BDE492B.jpegF2399B1F-3D08-4F76-99A0-DFD62327D8CF.jpeg1283DCB6-A4D9-41E3-BB34-7CC1A4E21265.jpeg

Last edited:
At last a chance to cycle in Valencia after 3 years.IMG20221026151042.jpgIMG20221026152022.jpg

The Severn Bridge
DSCF2154.JPG
Sydney Harbour Bridge
P1010164.JPG

The Severn Bridge

Sydney Harbour Bridge
View attachment 101040
There's a story about a construction worker who fell from Sydney Harbour Bridge to a certain death in the still warm waters below him. As he accelerated downwards he had an amazing presence of mind to throw his hammer into the water, close to his entry point, that alone disrupted the surface tension of the water and allowed him to fall into the harbour without serious injury. He went on to represent Australia as a diver, apparently.