Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brandrup Isotop for pop up tent with front opening

L

Light Footprint

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach 199
Hi, first and foremost I want to thank the followers of this forum for all the tips and advice shared. I ordered my Volkswagen California Beach T6.1 204HP DSG 4MOTION 2.0 TDI earlier this year in the Netherlands and it has arrived. Still a few months to go until the registration (and de-registration of our current car) but hopefully by Christmas it will be mine. The dealership called me on Friday to ask if I really wanted to have the Brandrup Isotop installed in the Beach since there have been a number of complaints how difficult it is to close. I plan in 2024 to drive solo with my dog throughout Europe so it is important that the VW is warm enough to enjoy during the winter and also manageable for me to set-up and close down the VW by myself. I thought I would check with this forum if you have any experience with this interior tent or just have the external one?

Many thanks for your advice. I will introduce myself in the beginning thread very soon but as I need to make a few decisions before i get the VW I will reach out to the "Beach" thread first.

Hey Monique. I installed the top myself and have a bungee (must have) to help the fabric fold inwards and next to the solar install its the top must have have for my van. Apart from keeping it warmer in the cold and cooler in the sun it keeps the top darker while sleeping as the standard top is not very good at keeping the sun out. I have never had any problems with the roof closing and I never roll down the front before closing..

Most (all?) of the people you are getting advice from will have the roof tent made from a different type of material to your van.

In this case your dealer might be a good source of information.

Last edited:
Hi, first and foremost I want to thank the followers of this forum for all the tips and advice shared. I ordered my Volkswagen California Beach T6.1 204HP DSG 4MOTION 2.0 TDI earlier this year in the Netherlands and it has arrived. Still a few months to go until the registration (and de-registration of our current car) but hopefully by Christmas it will be mine. The dealership called me on Friday to ask if I really wanted to have the Brandrup Isotop installed in the Beach since there have been a number of complaints how difficult it is to close. I plan in 2024 to drive solo with my dog throughout Europe so it is important that the VW is warm enough to enjoy during the winter and also manageable for me to set-up and close down the VW by myself. I thought I would check with this forum if you have any experience with this interior tent or just have the external one?

Many thanks for your advice. I will introduce myself in the beginning thread very soon but as I need to make a few decisions before i get the VW I will reach out to the "Beach" thread first.
welcome Monique, I’ve had the Isotop fitted by VW Camper Centrum in Amersfoort and they did a great job. The roof closes no problem at all.
As said before, it’s fit and forget.
You can also opt for a winter isolation cover but that’s more hassle to put on and off. It also takes up extra valuable space.

Most (all?) of the people you are getting advice from will have the roof tent made from a different type of material to your van.

In this case your dealer might be a good source of information.
What does this mean? I thought Brandrup isotop is fairly standard. It’s a manual pop up roof so this might also make a difference. Thanks!

welcome Monique, I’ve had the Isotop fitted by VW Camper Centrum in Amersfoort and they did a great job. The roof closes no problem at all.
As said before, it’s fit and forget.
You can also opt for a winter isolation cover but that’s more hassle to put on and off. It also takes up extra valuable space.
Thanks good to know. I I am working with campers.eu in Naarden. They have been great to work with and it was just mentioned before they install it.

What does this mean? I thought Brandrup isotop is fairly standard. It’s a manual pop up roof so this might also make a difference. Thanks!

Auto or manual roof makes no difference.

VW have made some changes over the years to the type of material used for the roof canvas.

The ISOTOP fabric is waterproof & breathable (goretex type material) so is suited to all roof types; it redirects any breeze from the top mesh vents (that would normally blow directly into the sleeping area) , this breeze then creates air circulation between the van canvas and the ISOTOP ( as there is a small air cavity between the two); This keeps the upper sleeping area cooler in summer , warmer in the winter & makes it darker up top…so easier to sleep in summer when the days are a lot longer.

It also has zips for the windows so you can still enjoy the view when in bed.

You are most likely receiving a model year 23 van with new 'canvas' material introduced very recently.

Almost nobody has experience with this 'canvas' material and how it interacts with an ISOTOP.

It sounds like your dealer has this information. I would go and visit them first. Or purchase the ISOTOP later when all interactions are known and problems solved.

You are most likely receiving a model year 23 van with new 'canvas' material introduced very recently.

Almost nobody has experience with this 'canvas' material and how it interacts with an ISOTOP.

It sounds like your dealer has this information. I would go and visit them first. Or purchase the ISOTOP later when all interactions are known and problems solved.
She ordered the van earlier this year and it has been delivered, the factory closes in August and only after that will 2023 models start being produced. So she will have the 2022 canvas.

The new Canvas is installed from production week 39-'22. So 2 week ago. I doubt it is installed on the Cali that are currently being delivered. Should be another 3 weeks or so..

The Isotop gives the tentpackage a bit more volume and I can imagine the roof can be a bit more of a challenge to close. Our electric roof however doesn't struggle more than before (when we were without Isotop)

We don’t have a Brandrup ISO Top for the roof, so forgive me if I’m talking rubbish, but I recall seeing a YouTube video from California Time saying that you should remove the front section of the ISO Top before lowering the roof so that it’s not too bulky. Is that true ?

We don’t have a Brandrup ISO Top for the roof, so forgive me if I’m talking rubbish, but I recall seeing a YouTube video from California Time saying that you should remove the front section of the ISO Top before lowering the roof so that it’s not too bulky. Is that true ?

T5.1 / We just unzip the front zips, but it stays in place (There is ample room under the sliding roof hatch for the fabric, you just push it towards the sides so the hatch can close. The fabric is very thin)

It is what the isotop instruction sheet tells but in our experience not necessary. Just use one hand to guide the front canvas to fall towards the rear of the cali and it is not more difficult than with previous models.

When we are closing our ISO Top I push the sides manually folding inside (standing in the opening of the doors) to be sure. When closing the roof (manually, as we drive a Coast) I sometimes lack one mm when closing (maybe I am not strong or heavy enough) so I have to ask my wife to support me.

Hey Monique. I installed the top myself and have a bungee (must have) to help the fabric fold inwards and next to the solar install its the top must have have for my van. Apart from keeping it warmer in the cold and cooler in the sun it keeps the top darker while sleeping as the standard top is not very good at keeping the sun out. I have never had any problems with the roof closing and I never roll down the front before closing..
I've found no need for the bungee on my 6.1. Hasn't the canvas been redesigned from older models to ensure it folds well?

I've found no need for the bungee on my 6.1. Hasn't the canvas been redesigned from older models to ensure it folds well?
just got it for the addition of the isotop to help make sure with the extra material that it all folds in and i dont have to pay attention (so much) and that the canvas does what the canvas its supposed to do...

just got it for the addition of the isotop to help make sure with the extra material that it all folds in and i dont have to pay attention (so much) and that the canvas does what the canvas its supposed to do...
At first we did the same, with the bungee. Just to be aware, keep an eye on any pulling away of the canvas from the van top connection. It’s not fitted now.

At first we did the same, with the bungee. Just to be aware, keep an eye on any pulling away of the canvas from the van top connection. It’s not fitted now.
Thanks. I made sure to keep is just tight enough and not pulling hard when the top is fully extended :)

We love ours and have a T6. We’ve found that if we take out the front section it’s easier to close the hatch cover. We used to just zip it down, tucking It in, but found taking it off and refitting it when it‘s required is less hassle and quicker.

Many thanks for your response. I have decided to have it installed and will take all the good suggestions when I finally get the Beach in December.

Does this look like the new canvas? https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/attachments/74cb73b4-d5f5-453e-a7f7-80852cdb02fc-jpeg.100307/

@AlanThom2022!
@yossarian I believe the new canvas is easiest identified by being a different colour on the inside (as it is two different fabrics bonded together). This is what other postings have suggested. I am picking up my Ocean next week (also from Mike at Eurovans) and I don't expect to have the new canvas.

Back