Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brandrup carpet wont fit

Dougie Dubz 72

Dougie Dubz 72

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi all,
I took delivery of my new carpet yesterday for T6.1 Cali 2 rail. unfortunately it will not fit under the centre of the bench seat due to what I can make out to be a small lug/downward projection under the seat..
Any suggestions?
Thanking you in advance
Ray

The drawer is reasonably simple to remove. Two silver screws either side internally, then pull up and forwards.

Reverse requires a little more oomph mind, I have to remove the tool kit to longer things up.

I bought this carpet last year, did not realise it went under the bench seat. Like you struggled to get it to go under the drawer, but perseverance and much swearing managed to get it installed, did not remove the drawer. Once in looks good, not sure now why I went with the wood floor option, as can’t see it now, also have the Brandrup carpet in the boot also.

The drawer is reasonably simple to remove. Two silver screws either side internally, then pull up and forwards.

Reverse requires a little more oomph mind, I have to remove the tool kit to longer things up.
I think the obstruction is on the seat frame itself....further investigation required

I bought this carpet last year, did not realise it went under the bench seat. Like you struggled to get it to go under the drawer, but perseverance and much swearing managed to get it installed, did not remove the drawer. Once in looks good, not sure now why I went with the wood floor option, as can’t see it now, also have the Brandrup carpet in the boot also.
I'll try again...cheers

I had the same 'issue' - I think it's a roller under the drawer which stops the carpet from being pushed under easily due to weight of the drawer.
My solution was simple - get most of the carpet in place and push the part which goes under the drawer through as much as you can... then go in through the tailgate and pull the carpet ! Only took a minute in the end

Hi all,
I took delivery of my new carpet yesterday for T6.1 Cali 2 rail. unfortunately it will not fit under the centre of the bench seat due to what I can make out to be a small lug/downward projection under the seat..
Any suggestions?
Thanking you in advance
Ray
I made the error of ordering the "two track rug", instead of the "three track Bandrup rug", as it appears did you. I had the same on my 2005 Cali.

That "projection" is a plastic roller that is intended to run on the middle floor guide track. When you lay the rug down there is insufficient space for the roller. I simply removed the drawer (2 small black screws at inside front of the drawer), lifted the drawer up and out. The roller is held in place by a spring clip on the spindle axle. Remove the 'C' spring clip, axle and roller and then carefully bend/hammer the angle tabs flat against the bottom of the drawer.

Re-install the drawer, ensuring that you catch the locking tabs at the far back corners, and then insert the screws.The drawer will run fine, even loaded with bedding. All fine now. I've seen that a number of Cali are as confused by the lack of clarity surrounding the entire issue. The roller isn't necessary.

The roller has two different height fittings. A VW garage techie told me that this was to accommodate no or thin carpet vs. thick carpet.

If I recall correctly, you just take the drawer out and turn the roller fitting over to change the height.

The roller has two different height fittings. A VW garage techie told me that this was to accommodate no or thin carpet vs. thick carpet.

If I recall correctly, you just take the drawer out and turn the roller fitting over to change the height.
There is no such provision on my 2005. The right angle tabs, spot-welded to the drawer bottom have no provision for raising the roller height, although it might be possible to drill another set of holes to accommodate raising the roller shaft. My drawer operates smoothly without it and given the depth of the sheet metal drawer it is difficult to imagine the drawer pan dropping enough to require the roller support in any case. It would require a concentrated weight exceeding perhaps 75 lbs. or more to distort the pan enough to bring it into contact with the track.