Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brand new T6.1 not starting - Help!

brodieolson

brodieolson

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
  • So here is the issue:
  • Key is not turning. Engine doesn't start.
  • When I press the DSG button it beeps and says: "Position the gear to position P".
  • The gear is already in P, since I've parked in front of my house 2 days ago.
  • If I put the key in and I don't press the DSG button there is no beep, only the radio/nav system turns on, not the dash.
  • Still, key not turning and engine not starting.
  • Only 292km total. Yep...
  • Any ideas? Should I just wait for Monday morning and talk to the dealer?
  • Video here:

Do you not have VW assist in Italy? just ring them up any time & they come to you specifically for this sort of breakdown.

To me it sounds like the gearbox inhibitor switch may be faulty. I cant remember if it is the same for an Ocean but most automatics will also start in neutral as well as park - have you tried that?
\

Do you not have VW assist in Italy? just ring them up any time & they come to you specifically for this sort of breakdown.

To me it sounds like the gearbox inhibitor switch may be faulty. I cant remember if it is the same for an Ocean but most automatics will also start in neutral as well as park - have you tried that?
\
Calling VW assist now. Will update here. The gear is not moving from P so I can't try N.

This solved the issue. Many thanks. And yes, I do feel a bit embarrassed . I’ve own several automatic cars, including VW and I thought I knew how to operate DSG. What a lesson!
The main thing is that your dream machine isn't faulty and your enjoyment of it can continue uninterrupted. The real beauty of this forum too. Go enjoy

This solved the issue. Many thanks. And yes, I do feel a bit embarrassed . I’ve own several automatic cars, including VW and I thought I knew how to operate DSG. What a lesson!
It isn’t actually anything to do with the DSG. It is a straight forward Steering Lock . When the ignition key is removed the steering wheel will lock in position if turned without the key.
If, when the key is reinserted it will not turn to ignition On position then just wiggle the steering wheel to disengage the lock while turning the key.

It isn’t actually anything to do with the DSG. It is a straight forward Steering Lock . When the ignition key is removed the steering wheel will lock in position if turned without the key.
If, when the key is reinserted it will not turn to ignition On position then just wiggle the steering wheel to disengage the lock while turning the key.
Better still is to ensure that the lock clicks in easily when taking the key out, don't force (turn) the steering wheel to get the key out/lock on as it puts a constant strain on the lock and can have the result as in this post.

OK, a little off topic……. when I was 18 I had a ‘67 1500 Beetle with very loud after market ‘trumpet exhaust’……. It made so much noise that dropping my girlfriend off at her parents house (late again!) was difficult to achieve without detection…… so I figured drive fast and get some speed on…switch off the ignition…..coast silently to the doorstep :)……. It all went so well until one day I also took the key OUT! That was the day I learned about steering locks! The road had a gentle curve also…… it was the best I could manage to get the key back in, steering unlocked and just about avoid announcing my yet again late arrival as a result of going off the road and crashing through the neighbours front garden!

Happy days :)

Back