Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bought an Ocean, have questions (Towbar, Wild Camping)

W

williamd

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
After looking at a Grand California we decided it was too large so took the plunge on an Ocean. Looking forward to getting a few nights in it soon.

I want to retrofit a tow bar, mainly so I can attach a tiltable bike carrier for 2 e-bikes. Vehicle does not have pre-wiring as far as I know. Got two quotes locally, one at £1,100, another at half the cost. Both detachable. Neither guarantees no issues with sensors. So confused reigns. Looking for advice and possible recommendations of supplier/fitter, West Scotland region (Ayrshire/Glasgow OK). Tried Lookers Baillieston, still waiting on a reply.

Wild camping - this is likely what we will do most, with only odd visit to campsites where necessary. Any recommendations on iOS Apps for good off grid stopover information?

Thanks in advance.

EDITED 4.40PM

Forgot to say, my van has Discover Nav Pro and a WeConnect Plus subscription (active). My understanding is the navigation map should show traffic flow, i.e. roads in red/orange/green indicating the flow of traffic. It does not appear to be working, any menu options I've missed, been through them a few times but can't see anything?

Last edited:
Hey there, I can't help with the Tow bar stuff, but for apps/wildcamping checkout Park4Night, worth paying to upgrade, it's never let us down on multiple trips in the UK, Ireland and France.

All the best and welcome to the club.

Hey there, I can't help with the Tow bar stuff, but for apps/wildcamping checkout Park4Night, worth paying to upgrade, it's never let us down on multiple trips in the UK, Ireland and France.

All the best and welcome to the club.
Thanks, I will check out the app.

After looking at a Grand California we decided it was too large so took the plunge on an Ocean. Looking forward to getting a few nights in it soon.

I want to retrofit a tow bar, mainly so I can attach a tiltable bike carrier for 2 e-bikes. Vehicle does not have pre-wiring as far as I know. Got two quotes locally, one at £1,100, another at half the cost. Both detachable. Neither guarantees no issues with sensors. So confused reigns. Looking for advice and possible recommendations of supplier/fitter, West Scotland region (Ayrshire/Glasgow OK). Tried Lookers Baillieston, still waiting on a reply.

Wild camping - this is likely what we will do most, with only odd visit to campsites where necessary. Any recommendations on iOS Apps for good off grid stopover information?

Thanks in advance.
We've got a Westfalia Towbar, but are you able to adjust your order? I heard without the pre-wiring it is a lot of work and errors may occur.
we paid 370eu for the towbar and 150 for installing it.

Thanks in advance.
Hi last week I had a Westfalia detachable towbar fitted by PF Jones at my home address. It included VW wiring harness ( not bypass kit). Total cost was £718.40 including fitting also with 13 pin electrics. We had it fitted for same reason as you. Also bought a Pro User Diamant SG2 towbar mounted cycle rack which takes 2 bikes and folds away from tailgate so you can open without catching rack or bikes.

We've got a Westfalia Towbar, but are you able to adjust your order? I heard without the pre-wiring it is a lot of work and errors may occur.
we paid 370eu for the towbar and 150 for installing it.
Hi, we already have the van, bought 2nd hand, so can't change anything.

Hi last week I had a Westfalia detachable towbar fitted by PF Jones at my home address. It included VW wiring harness ( not bypass kit). Total cost was £718.40 including fitting also with 13 pin electrics. We had it fitted for same reason as you. Also bought a Pro User Diamant SG2 towbar mounted cycle rack which takes 2 bikes and folds away from tailgate so you can open without catching rack or bikes.
Thanks, yes had a look at that carrier, looks pretty good.

How is the tow bar, any issues with it?

I got a quote from PF Jones but they don't fit in my home area. Their cost for a fit at their place was similar to what you've quoted above.

No issues with towbar. I did have to reset the auxiliary heater this morning as obviously battery disconnected fitting electrics but once I’d reset all good. Tovar and bike rack combination have worked perfectly on our fist trip. No movement at all after 120 mile journey across fast A and twisty B roads.

No issues with towbar. I did have to reset the auxiliary heater this morning as obviously battery disconnected fitting electrics but once I’d reset all good. Tovar and bike rack combination have worked perfectly on our fist trip. No movement at all after 120 mile journey across fast A and twisty B roads.
Thank you, good to know.

If you go for the Pro User Diamant SG2 make sure you get the SG2 Plus version. The standard SG2 DOES NOT tilt far enough to open the tail gate, SG2 Plus is fine - it's what we have. We used PF Jones for our tiw bar - no issues, works well.

I can’t help with towbar fitters in Scotland but some general comments on retrofitting a towbar which we have done.

A reputable local fitter I have used before has had quite a journey with our fitting. Initially, they had to rebook us in since the wiring in the 6.1 was different to T6 Californias they had done before and really hard to reach behind the dashboard. The wiring position apparently moves around a lot, so ours might have been a VW fitter having a bad day! Anyway, all successfully fitted and we bought a Thule tiltable rack from them at the same time.

We have just been back to them since it can be really difficult to take the rack off sometimes and is generally harder than it should be. Apparently, we had the rack too flat and it is designed to be tilted (back) up. This was demonstrated and I then said, “let's open the tailgate”. I did so carefully since I thought it wouldn’t open and it didn’t.

To cut a long story short(ish) it is going back next week to have the removable Westfalia towbar changed for a removable Towtrust. The Westfalia is very close (within legal limits but only just) to the bumper. The Towtrust should be further away and that should give enough room to open the tailgate!

The bike rack is going in with the van so that it can checked and everything sorted properly. Whilst, it has been a pain toing and froing, the fitters have been helpful and are doing everything within the original agreed price, so I can't complain.

If you go for the Pro User Diamant SG2 make sure you get the SG2 Plus version. The standard SG2 DOES NOT tilt far enough to open the tail gate, SG2 Plus is fine - it's what we have. We used PF Jones for our tiw bar - no issues, works well.
Thanks, yes, that was the one I was looking at. Bit less expensive than Thule version and looks more than capable.

I can’t help with towbar fitters in Scotland but some general comments on retrofitting a towbar which we have done.

A reputable local fitter I have used before has had quite a journey with our fitting. Initially, they had to rebook us in since the wiring in the 6.1 was different to T6 Californias they had done before and really hard to reach behind the dashboard. The wiring position apparently moves around a lot, so ours might have been a VW fitter having a bad day! Anyway, all successfully fitted and we bought a Thule tiltable rack from them at the same time.

We have just been back to them since it can be really difficult to take the rack off sometimes and is generally harder than it should be. Apparently, we had the rack too flat and it is designed to be tilted (back) up. This was demonstrated and I then said, “let's open the tailgate”. I did so carefully since I thought it wouldn’t open and it didn’t.

To cut a long story short(ish) it is going back next week to have the removable Westfalia towbar changed for a removable Towtrust. The Westfalia is very close (within legal limits but only just) to the bumper. The Towtrust should be further away and that should give enough room to open the tailgate!

The bike rack is going in with the van so that it can checked and everything sorted properly. Whilst, it has been a pain toing and froing, the fitters have been helpful and are doing everything within the original agreed price, so I can't complain.
All good to know, thank you. Have read other similar things.

One company emailed me a quote after an online enquiry. I replied with a few questions about it working with a tiltable bike rack and asked them for a quote for a rack (their website says they sell them and even have a picture of a Thule XT3). Helpful reply was "you'll need to speak to manufacturer" and "try Halfords". Red line through that one.

Can’t offer advice on fitters in Scotland as had mine fitted down south. What I will say is the tow trust solution in my opinion (based on my research) is the better option.
It does not require the infill piece behind the bumper like the Westfalia does, it has a higher unsupported weight limit - 100kgs vs 65kgs for Westfalia, so for a bike rack with e-bikes in my opinion it is the better choice. Having looked into this I had the Tow Trust fitted.

edit: fully fitted, wired and coded to the vehicle cost £650 from memory.

Sorry yes ours is SG2 Plus.

Thanks in advance.

EDITED 4.40PM

Forgot to say, my van has Discover Nav Pro and a WeConnect Plus subscription (active). My understanding is the navigation map should show traffic flow, i.e. roads in red/orange/green indicating the flow of traffic. It does not appear to be working, any menu options I've missed, been through them a few times but can't see anything?
Regarding the Satnav @williamd We have the Pro version and WeConnect. Our nav does show congestion along with road works etc. We also get audible announcements i.e. ‘there is congestion on your route an alternative is available’ we can then accept the alternative via the touchscreen.

Can’t offer advice on fitters in Scotland as had mine fitted down south. What I will say is the tow trust solution in my opinion (based on my research) is the better option.
It does not require the infill piece behind the bumper like the Westfalia does, it has a higher unsupported weight limit - 100kgs vs 65kgs for Westfalia, so for a bike rack with e-bikes in my opinion it is the better choice. Having looked into this I had the Tow Trust fitted.

edit: fully fitted, wired and coded to the vehicle cost £650 from memory.
Thanks for that. I did get a quote from PF Jones but they don't fit in my area. They recommended a Westfalia, it had a nose load of 100KG (which should be plenty - 2 bikes at 25kg plus rack at up to 20kg). So more confusion...

Regarding the Satnav @williamd We have the Pro version and WeConnect. Our nav does show congestion along with road works etc. We also get audible announcements i.e. ‘there is congestion on your route an alternative is available’ we can then accept the alternative via the touchscreen.
Thanks. Is there something you turn on in a menu? I can see road works icons on the map, but no orange/red road overlays like it describes in the handbook. Certainly on my car (not a VW) roads are overlaid with green/yellow/red showing live current traffic flow and I was expecting something similar on the van, based on handbook description.

Thanks. Is there something you turn on in a menu? I can see road works icons on the map, but no orange/red road overlays like it describes in the handbook. Certainly on my car (not a VW) roads are overlaid with green/yellow/red showing live current traffic flow and I was expecting something similar on the van, based on handbook description.
No nothing that i’ve turned on (as far as i’m aware) @williamd . Are you sure it’s not just that there are no jams in your area at the moment? Have you tried entering a destination and starting route guidance to see if conjestion then shows.

Thanks for that. I did get a quote from PF Jones but they don't fit in my area. They recommended a Westfalia, it had a nose load of 100KG (which should be plenty - 2 bikes at 25kg plus rack at up to 20kg). So more confusion...
I didn’t use PF Jones and the nose load of 100kg is different to the unsupported load.

No nothing that i’ve turned on (as far as i’m aware) @williamd . Are you sure it’s not just that there are no jams in your area at the moment? Have you tried entering a destination and starting route guidance to see if conjestion then shows.
To clarify, I was expecting it show flow, as in show whether there is a jam or not, so green = no jam (free flowing), orange = slow moving, red = stopped (or very slow).

I didn’t use PF Jones and the nose load of 100kg is different to the unsupported load.
hi, yes I never suggested you used PF Jones. Nose load/unsupported load - hence why I’m seeking advice/guidance/tips, thank you.

Yes a Westfalia detachable is the way to go: the VW one is actually made by them and is the same.
We paid £595 plus vat from SGM Cardiff with Westfalia vehicle specific wiring loom and vagcom coding to stop the hitch being picked up on the reverse sensors.

Hi, we already have the van, bought 2nd hand, so can't change anything.
And you're sure there isn't any pre-wiring? You're dealer (or yourself) can look it up in VW Erwin with the VIN. The T6.1 seems to be a bit different than a T6.

And you're sure there isn't any pre-wiring? You're dealer (or yourself) can look it up in VW Erwin with the VIN. The T6.1 seems to be a bit different than a T6.
Hi, when I registered with VW Online I can see full specification of the vehicle - pre wiring is not mentioned in there, but I will double check. Don't know what VW Erwin is :)

Back