Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Boot drawer

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Having seen the boot drawer a few times but put off by the horrendous cost I decided to make one.
Total cost is about £160, the most expensive bit being the locking sliders at just over £100.
The frame is made from 100 X 100mm alloy angle with the corner plates being from steel to give more rigidity.

The frame, I mitre cut the sides and corner connection plates pop riveted in.
P1100986.JPG

Made up some connections to the floor runners using steel plates and 8mm rivnuts and domed allen head bolts.
P1110043.JPG
Plastic end covers removed and connectors slide in
P1110046.JPG
Then hit a problem, about 100mm from the end is the seat stop which is welded in place in the channel, the plate won't slide over the top so the two rear connections had to be modified. The plate can then be slid along lengthways just under the aluminium extrusion over the stop and when in position at the back turned through 90 degrees to sit under steel runner channel.
P1110047.JPG

The runners then attached with 6mm domed cap head bolts to the side supports which are then bolted down to the floor. The side supports have grooves at the rear end to slide under the washer on the connection which is already in place. The side supports can then be moved into position and tightened down. The holes/grooves in the support pieces are oversized to give some lattitude for final adjustment and lining up square.
P1110048.JPG

The tray is then placed in position and bolted to the runners.
P1110050.JPG
Pretty much done now, just need to trim the bolts to size and fit some plastic caps and fit a plywood base to the tray. All works fine, the red bits are the locking tabs so that the tray can be locked in the in/out position.
I left a space on the left hand side as we carry the awning rafter, awning poles, walking poles, skis etc in the this position. No reason the tray couldn't be the full width. The only difference would be the lefthand side support would have to wider on the bottom as the runner is offset from the cupboard.
I'm also going to bolt a vertical piece to the lefthand support up to the shelf to prevent items falling from the left onto the tray.
P1110053.JPG

Edit.
All finished.
P1110055.JPG

And loaded up again
P1110060.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work Brian :thumb

Nice work.
What make/size of rails did you go for...?

Hello Briwy
you used the 660mm rails
But when I measure I have about 950mm left, thats with the seats so far as possible backwards with the sleeping rack mounted.. (the room needed for the 2 chairs mounted in the tailgate deducted..)
before I order , I would like to order 914 mm rails , is there a possibility that they would'nt fit or are there other reasons you orderd the 660mm?
cheers
Peter

???? Briwy , anybody home? I would send you a pm but I dont know how it works or if that works on this forum....
cheers
Peter

???? Briwy , anybody home? I would send you a pm but I dont know how it works or if that works on this forum....
cheers
Peter

Peter.
We have a board across the rear of the boot floor. I put it there to stop stuff sliding forwards and dropping into the space when the seat is down.
This could explain why you have more space.

Peter.
We have a board across the rear of the boot floor. I put it there to stop stuff sliding forwards and dropping into the space when the seat is down.
This could explain why you have more space.
hey thanx Briwy
this means that I could make the drawer with the 910 rails without any issues..
but still a bit confused on what you mean by "a board across the rear of the boot floor"..any chanse off a foto?
cheers
Peter

Can't do a photo at the mo as I'm away for 5/6 weeks and the boot is full but it's simply a board across the boot floor behind the seat.

oh I think I have the idea now..when the seat is moved forword to make the bed it creates a a huge empty space , ....I did not think that was a issue..as I use sport bags at the moment to put stuff in , if they should move , wich I doubt as I never travel with the seats down, they would slide back once I pushed the seates back, me thinks...
cheers
Peter

Excellent job. I can’t decide whether to buy one from California-campers.de at 529€ or make one.
Can I ask where you got the 100mm aluminium angle from?
Have you welded the corners of the tray or did you just mitre them and pop rivet to corner plates? Excellent mitre if that’s how you did it, can’t see any join.

Got an excellent steel stock and engineers supply place here so got it there. Cost about a tenner I think.
I've got a proper mitre saw and it has triangular plates pop rivetted in each corner of the bootom of the angke.

Hi Briwy,
thanks for the write up, it was nice to see I’m not the first person to want a drawer at the rear of my Cali.
I’m curious about the gap you left on the left side for poles. Surely those poles can’t be any longer than the depth of your drawer, because they’re still limited by the rear seat, aren’t they? There isn’t room for long things there is there?

Hi Briwy,
thanks for the write up, it was nice to see I’m not the first person to want a drawer at the rear of my Cali.
I’m curious about the gap you left on the left side for poles. Surely those poles can’t be any longer than the depth of your drawer, because they’re still limited by the rear seat, aren’t they? There isn’t room for long things there is there?
There is a through load hole (designed for skis I guess) it allows a load from the back door to the back of the front seat if required. There is an option to fit a small drawer under the bench seat which prevents this possibility. I’ve only ever used the through load a couple of times.

Hi Briwy,
He's done that on the left sp long items go beyond the drawer into the load through hatch. Like his awning rafters etc. The load through hatch comes out next to the big drawer with a blanking plate on it. Some have a 2nd drawer fitted there so you would be right about no long items going in. The 2nd drawer or load through hatch is down to personal choice and lifestyle. I prefer the load hatch for the same reasons as briwy.

Ah. We have the 2nd drawer so I didn’t realise that was optional- cheers.

Back