Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Booked a rental for the first time

18ME

18ME

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Good morning,

My partner and I are renting a VW Camper in June for three days.

I’ve never thought about getting one until recently and can’t think what made me start looking or even thinking about them as I’ve always been into cars and staying in hotels or villas abroad. I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in Nov 21 and had a Prostatectomy in Feb last year and now currently cancer free, just have to have the normal PSA test every three months. Anyway this may be the reason for the sudden desire to do different things, or it could simply be because I’m getting old What is the average age of a VW camper owner?

I’m really looking forward to the three days booked in June and now got to decide where to go, the last time a went anywhere near a campsite was probably about 40 odd years ago as a kid with my parents so I’m a complete novice / newbie. I’ve watched quite a few YT videos of the couple from California Time and now Camper Time which has been helpful not only about the actual California but also different sites to go. I‘m guessing that there’s a few different memberships and books you can get for campsites across the UK which I’ll have to look into. Is it best to try and book each site you want to stay at as soon as possible?

The idea of renting one is to make sure that we’re going to enjoy it and if we do buy one next spring. I’ve already spec’d one up and they’re not cheap are they and I can imagine you can go crazy with the accessories too.

Apologies for the long post but I’m really excited and trying to get as much info as possible and I’m sure there’s a lot here, so will enjoy browsing the forum and asking questions etc.

Thanks for having me

Well done. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
As a first timer I would suggest booking sites. You can use Caravan and Motorhome or Camping and Caravan Club sites but will pay more unless you are a club member. Join maybe when you finally decide.
Best time to buy is Autumn or Winter as prices rise in Spring but drop in Autumn or Winter.

Good morning,

My partner and I are renting a VW Camper in June for three days.

I’ve never thought about getting one until recently and can’t think what made me start looking or even thinking about them as I’ve always been into cars and staying in hotels or villas abroad. I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in Nov 21 and had a Prostatectomy in Feb last year and now currently cancer free, just have to have the normal PSA test every three months. Anyway this may be the reason for the sudden desire to do different things, or it could simply be because I’m getting old What is the average age of a VW camper owner?

I’m really looking forward to the three days booked in June and now got to decide where to go, the last time a went anywhere near a campsite was probably about 40 odd years ago as a kid with my parents so I’m a complete novice / newbie. I’ve watched quite a few YT videos of the couple from California Time and now Camper Time which has been helpful not only about the actual California but also different sites to go. I‘m guessing that there’s a few different memberships and books you can get for campsites across the UK which I’ll have to look into. Is it best to try and book each site you want to stay at as soon as possible?

The idea of renting one is to make sure that we’re going to enjoy it and if we do buy one next spring. I’ve already spec’d one up and they’re not cheap are they and I can imagine you can go crazy with the accessories too.

Apologies for the long post but I’m really excited and trying to get as much info as possible and I’m sure there’s a lot here, so will enjoy browsing the forum and asking questions etc.

Thanks for having me
Hello Martin and welcome to the forum.
Most start off the same way as you and of course everyone is different to their likes and dislikes.
If you like countryside then that’s where you head. If you like the seaside, and so on.
We’ve had our van for 8 years and our first outing was Easter in Wales so no so warm. We tried a couple of campsites that Easter and enjoyed them both in different ways.
Our previous holidays were Florida in villas and Portugal in a friends apartment. And 15 years on a motorcycle in Europe so a fairly varied types of travel.
Although you won’t have the time in your 3 days away we love going to France and Spain in the van which have booked again for September for 3 weeks.
So whatever you choose I’m sure you and you and your partner will enjoy it. Whatever happens don’t be put off with the weather, sometimes it’s sunny sometimes it’s raining and that happens everywhere but it can still be enjoyable.

Enjoy your trip...

Welcome. We did the same and it is a great entry point. It’s not for everyone and you will quickly find out if it is for you.

The rental will come with everything you need. Just add clothes and bedding. It’s too early to worry about memberships but plot your three days route and pre book on the way. Try not to fill your time with driving. Explore and enjoy the freedom the Cali brings.

Note. Unless you’re buying used the situation for new next year is looking limited to none.

Martin you’ll have to be careful as once you have tried it’s hard not to want more the campervan lifestyle!

You might want to check who you are renting from as I believe some have membership with certain clubs so you won’t need to take membership out yourself.

Having a little home on wheels bring far more than just camping holidays. If this a try before you buy maybe consider when else you might use the Cali, for us a warm place to change after cycle trips or rugby match and that we can at a drop of a hat do a night away or a day trip is what makes the Cali so versatile.

I hope you enjoy your taster to the campervan life!

Welcome to the forum,
I recommend the free sites app “searchforsites” which probably contains every conceivable site in the uk and loads of into and reviews
Every one has their own preferences for sites so point in plugging my own favourites but the app has it all in one place, just pick your region and browse away
Enjoy the experience

Welcome. Renting is a great idea. It’s quite important in van ownership to be confident your family is as keen as you.

I personally would say there are a couple of different significant differences with people on the forum.

I think there are people in their 40s and 50s with young kids. And there are retirees. There’s not a great deal to separate these but travelling with 2 is different to travelling with 4.

Also I think there are a lot of people who travel mainly in the UK. Our van ownership revolves around our 2-3 week trips to Spain and France every summer. Again you wouldn’t thinks there is much to differentiate these but there are little details e.g. we plan to be in warm weather most of the time and so travel fairly light. Camping in the UK always requires a bit of thought about the weather!

At the end of the day we all love our vans. I would say, for me, it’s all about creating memories.

I always recommend the Cool Camping books as I have never been to a site that I didn’t like from those books. Martin Dorey’s books are also good.

I really hope you enjoy your rental. VWCampersales used to do a deal where if you bought a van they would refund a rental. Not sure if that’s still the case!? You might want a 2nd rental before you jump in.

Hi, I’ve been lusting after a Cali for over a year now and hired one for the last bank holiday we have just had just to try it out and see if we liked it before spending a load of cash on one. 3 weeks later I now own one. Only got it on Thursday so been cleaning it etc. Got another weekend away booked for next week. I wasnt intending on getting one so soon as someone else said it’s a bad time to buy but good time to sell but we saw one on AT and fell in love with everything about it and the price was good in my view. So went to view it and liked it even more. The deal was done then 2 days later it was on my drive.

Well done. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
As a first timer I would suggest booking sites. You can use Caravan and Motorhome or Camping and Caravan Club sites but will pay more unless you are a club member. Join maybe when you finally decide.
Best time to buy is Autumn or Winter as prices rise in Spring but drop in Autumn or Winter.
Thank you, I will look at the membership and sites, I didn’t realise there were two different ones.
I guess it would depend on delivery times if I bought new and I would i agree it’s probably similar to buying convertible cars. Always group just before the season.

Hello Martin and welcome to the forum.
Most start off the same way as you and of course everyone is different to their likes and dislikes.
If you like countryside then that’s where you head. If you like the seaside, and so on.
We’ve had our van for 8 years and our first outing was Easter in Wales so no so warm. We tried a couple of campsites that Easter and enjoyed them both in different ways.
Our previous holidays were Florida in villas and Portugal in a friends apartment. And 15 years on a motorcycle in Europe so a fairly varied types of travel.
Although you won’t have the time in your 3 days away we love going to France and Spain in the van which have booked again for September for 3 weeks.
So whatever you choose I’m sure you and you and your partner will enjoy it. Whatever happens don’t be put off with the weather, sometimes it’s sunny sometimes it’s raining and that happens everywhere but it can still be enjoyable.

Enjoy your trip...
Thank you Pete.

I think the first time we’ll try and head towards the coast but we do also like the countryside.

We have a shop so long breaks away will unfortunately not be possible straight away but we do normally get Sunday and Mondays off so would try and get a few days here and there. Don’t think bad weather would put us off too much unless it was too miserable.

Welcome. We did the same and it is a great entry point. It’s not for everyone and you will quickly find out if it is for you.

The rental will come with everything you need. Just add clothes and bedding. It’s too early to worry about memberships but plot your three days route and pre book on the way. Try not to fill your time with driving. Explore and enjoy the freedom the Cali brings.

Note. Unless you’re buying used the situation for new next year is looking limited to none.
Thanks for the welcome and advise.

Might buy a porta pottie though, just think it will give some sense of security

I was thinking new rather than used, is there a major issue with supply? Whats the current lead time? I was hoping if I ordered one around July then I could get it by March / April next year.

Martin you’ll have to be careful as once you have tried it’s hard not to want more the campervan lifestyle!

You might want to check who you are renting from as I believe some have membership with certain clubs so you won’t need to take membership out yourself.

Having a little home on wheels bring far more than just camping holidays. If this a try before you buy maybe consider when else you might use the Cali, for us a warm place to change after cycle trips or rugby match and that we can at a drop of a hat do a night away or a day trip is what makes the Cali so versatile.

I hope you enjoy your taster to the campervan life!
Thanks.

I’ve booked with Cotswold Campers and think they have a membership.

I can imagine the camper could be very versatile and useful in lots of situations

Welcome to the forum,
I recommend the free sites app “searchforsites” which probably contains every conceivable site in the uk and loads of into and reviews
Every one has their own preferences for sites so point in plugging my own favourites but the app has it all in one place, just pick your region and browse away
Enjoy the experience
Thanks for the welcome and the app. I will definitely have a look.

Thanks for the welcome and advise.

Might buy a porta pottie though, just think it will give some sense of security

I was thinking new rather than used, is there a major issue with supply? Whats the current lead time? I was hoping if I ordered one around July then I could get it by March / April next year.
If you are thinking to purchase new, be aware the T6.1 Transporter production has closed to new orders and the T6.1 California order book is on countdown to close. When?, only VW know when, but sometime this year is highly likely.

Welcome. Renting is a great idea. It’s quite important in van ownership to be confident your family is as keen as you.

I personally would say there are a couple of different significant differences with people on the forum.

I think there are people in their 40s and 50s with young kids. And there are retirees. There’s not a great deal to separate these but travelling with 2 is different to travelling with 4.

Also I think there are a lot of people who travel mainly in the UK. Our van ownership revolves around our 2-3 week trips to Spain and France every summer. Again you wouldn’t thinks there is much to differentiate these but there are little details e.g. we plan to be in warm weather most of the time and so travel fairly light. Camping in the UK always requires a bit of thought about the weather!

At the end of the day we all love our vans. I would say, for me, it’s all about creating memories.

I always recommend the Cool Camping books as I have never been to a site that I didn’t like from those books. Martin Dorey’s books are also good.

I really hope you enjoy your rental. VWCampersales used to do a deal where if you bought a van they would refund a rental. Not sure if that’s still the case!? You might want a 2nd rental before you jump in.
Thank you for the welcome and advise and suggestions especially with the books.

It will mainly be just the two of us although my partner mentioned earlier that we could take one of the granddaughters with us possibly one day, I’m not too sure about that

We‘re both in our late 50’s so not quite retired although can’t see me retiring until I’m 90

A second rental might be a good idea.

Hi Martin,
enjoy your first camping trip in a while ... then IMHO you'd make your mind around a smal compact campervan like the Cali - which USP is that you can use it to travel like in a car an have the occasional wild stop - or a more feature full van or motorhome.
I was hooked on the Westfalia Joker high top but am happy to have picked the Cali as at this stage in my life is more appropriate. However I know my other half would love a fixed toilet and hot water ...

Hi, I’ve been lusting after a Cali for over a year now and hired one for the last bank holiday we have just had just to try it out and see if we liked it before spending a load of cash on one. 3 weeks later I now own one. Only got it on Thursday so been cleaning it etc. Got another weekend away booked for next week. I wasnt intending on getting one so soon as someone else said it’s a bad time to buy but good time to sell but we saw one on AT and fell in love with everything about it and the price was good in my view. So went to view it and liked it even more. The deal was done then 2 days later it was on my drive.
Hi John,
Similar situation to you then but I couldn’t see me jumping in quite as quick as you though. Wow.
Did you get a much better deal buying used compared to new? The residuals are supposed to be really good so I was leaning more towards new and don’t mind waiting until next year to get one.

If you are thinking to purchase new, be aware the T6.1 Transporter production has closed to new orders and the T6.1 California order book is on countdown to close. When?, only VW know when, but sometime this year is highly likely.
Oh, I wasn’t aware. Is this because a new or facelifted model is due or a completely new California is likely to replace the current one, maybe all electric?

Oh, I wasn’t aware. Is this because a new or facelifted model is due or a completely new California is likely to replace the current one, maybe all electric?
Lots of rumours but facts a little scarce.

Hi Martin,
enjoy your first camping trip in a while ... then IMHO you'd make your mind around a smal compact campervan like the Cali - which USP is that you can use it to travel like in a car an have the occasional wild stop - or a more feature full van or motorhome.
I was hooked on the Westfalia Joker high top but am happy to have picked the Cali as at this stage in my life is more appropriate. However I know my other half would love a fixed toilet and hot water ...
Hi, Thank you.

My other half would love a fixed toilet and shower but a California size camper would suite our needs more at the moment. I wouldn’t want anything bigger on the drive which wouldn’t get used as much.

Hi Martin, yeah I wasn’t planning on getting one so quick but remember I’ve been after one of these for over a yeah so had lots of time to do the research. I spent a lot more than I wanted as I was looking at a T5.1. I knew all about specs etc and knew what I wanted so was just a case of waiting for the right one to come along . My budget was around £40K and was looking at 2013 to 2015 years. Then I saw a 2018 ex rental Cali for £48K.with 56K on the clock. This was the T6 model. Unfortunately this Cali was poverty spec, (didn’t even have parking sensors) and by the time I hade got bottom half wrapped (£1700 plus vat), windows tinted (£400 plus vat), set of decent 2nd hand factory wheels (£1000)), parking sensors fitted (who knows) I’d probably be in the £50Ks and then wouldn’t be happy as the was no Nav and other goodies. Then I saw the one I bought. Factory 2 tone colour, very high spec, nice wheels, larger engine, less miles, all for a similar price I would have paid f to upgrade the £48k one to what I wanted (sort of). Anyway went to see it and deal done and can’t be happier. These vans hold their money like nothing else on the market ( I know the pandemic has something to do with this) hence why I spent a bit (a lot) more than I originally planned but hopefully with get that back when it comes to resale..Don’t dismiss the T6 over the T6.1. There is a great YouTube video where a couple compare both vans side by side to see which is the best. Well worth a look. There are lots of low mileage high spec T6s at dealers at very good prices.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
Thank you.

I’ve been doing quite a bit of research on here and also spent quite a bit of time contemplating spec on the VW configurator. According to the configurator the 4 Motion isn’t available but it’s still in the price list. It’s almost £7k more for the 4 Motion than the 150hp 2WD which seems a lot of money but an option that I would have considered if still available.

There‘s quite a lengthy thread on here about whether the 4 Motion is worth having (cost aside) over the 2WD. I’ve always been a car enthusiast but to be honest don’t know much about the technical oily bits. I’ve got T-Roc R which is 4WD and know it’s haldex and believe that it’s front wheel drive all of the time unless it needs traction at the rear. I’ve had many mid size Audi quattro’s in the past and believe these were full time all wheel drive. I’ve got an Audi R8 which I’ve been told is 90% rear drive and 10% front. Never tracked it and never took it beyond its or my limits so have never knowingly broke traction. Is the system on the California more like my T-Roc where it’s front wheel drive all the time unless the front wheels start spinning?

I think the camper I’m renting in June is a 150ps and would be nice to try a 4 Motion to compare but I guess that would be difficult as I’m guessing its difficult to test drive one from a dealer. All irrelevant though if they have stopped making it unless I buy used but then I won’t get the options want to spec.

Also noticed that the VW Happy Camper event is finishing this week. Any idea if VW have these promotions fairly frequently?

You have an R8! Wow. A great car. My dad had an Audi 80 Quattro and a 90 Quattro way way back. I would like a 4WD but not sure it’s essential. Depends how and where you drive. Ours is a 2008 174ps but various people have said they’re happy enough with the 150ps. Enough torque to move the van. No R8 though. For me the French motorway is where I want the van to work best. Ours is really quiet at speed and covers miles effortlessly.

There are a million different variations. Your call. We bought our van as an 18 month old ex VW employee van. It has every available extra and was a great deal. Wasn’t necessarily the colour I would have chosen, but after 15 years it’s now part of the family. This summer we’ll be ferrying to Santander and then driving back via Calais over 17 days. It’s just a great machine.
1682418341776.jpeg
August 2022
1682418412633.jpeg

Back