Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bolts and connector missing on chairs

Explorer

Explorer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
We have realised that’s the bolt and connector on one of our chairs is missing. We have looked all over but it’s not in the van.
Can anyone advice on how to get replacement fittings? T6.1 (if that matters).

Looks like a few are rather loose so will need to keep an eye on them!

579683C3-548E-44F8-8E76-B227E1A7BAB5.jpeg

If it is a 6.1 you could ask under warranty. It may never have been there.
The club shop also sells a repair kit.

There was a chap In Germany, I think, who did sell them too but not sure post Brexit if he will send them here. Have a search on the forum for broken chair quite a few helpful threads.

We have realised that’s the bolt and connector on one of our chairs is missing. We have looked all over but it’s not in the van.

View attachment 82965
First time I sat in my chair at the weekend & one of the bolts/screws at the front broke away popping the cover off - I dont suppose it will be covered under warranty for a 4 month old van but Im going to contact dealer once photographed as pretty rubbish!

I put some thread lock on the bolts on my chair and they haven’t fallen apart again

I put some thread lock on the bolts on my chair and they haven’t fallen apart again
Please could you share photo as awaiting response from my dealer re broken bolt - thank you

Thread lock applied to all threads: dismantle, apply thread lock to the screw, re assemble = job done

edit

4F35D6AB-B791-4427-B47F-EFAC88206BBA.jpeg

2 bolts and connectors got loose / fell into long grass last month on one of my barely used chairs.
Dealer informed me no parts replacements available, only complete units, so claimed on warranty and got replacement within the week.

2 bolts and connectors got loose / fell into long grass last month on one of my barely used chairs.
Dealer informed me no parts replacements available, only complete units, so claimed on warranty and got replacement within the week.
We've got the same issue. Did you have to take the van in to make the claim?

We've got the same issue. Did you have to take the van in to make the claim?
Took it in for another issue (water pump, again) they didn’t think chair was covered at first, I insisted they check and forced the point that it was standard equipment. They agreed the next day, took old chair & ordered in a new one for me.
Looks like the bolts might be a little loose on my other one, so will tighten when home.

Please could you share photo as awaiting response from my dealer re broken bolt - thank you
Hi @Jenny H sounds like you are getting the same dealer responses to emails as me. Comms weren't fab before I paid for the van. Lost interest all together now that I have. :( If you do stumble across someone helpful, would you be so kind as to drop me a PM with their email address. Many thanks.

It’s a

View attachment 82965

It’s an ongoing design fault since the T5. The bolts vibrate loose from road irregularities while stored in the tailgate during travel. If they aren’t tightened regularly or fixed by the methods mentioned in previous posts, they fall out while stored and disappear. When it happened to me the Westfalia dealer in Spain who imported my Beach from Germany told me it’s a regular occurrence with Californias.

Last edited:
Hi @Jenny H sounds like you are getting the same dealer responses to emails as me. Comms weren't fab before I paid for the van. Lost interest all together now that I have. :( If you do stumble across someone helpful, would you be so kind as to drop me a PM with their email address. Many thanks.
Hi Stuart hope you’re having fun in your Coast? No my dealer has been fab & agreed to replace chair under warranty - SMG Tonbridge

Hi Stuart hope you’re having fun in your Coast? No my dealer has been fab & agreed to replace chair under warranty - SMG Tonbridge
Great news. I misunderstood. Apologies

Back