Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

BMW 420d vs Passat CC

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
I know a few of you are generally into cars and thought this might interest you. Just a little review of a pair of cars we've had. We still have the CC as our Cali is in for a paint correction after the dealer "washed" it with what appeared to be a stiff broom...

Anyway...By a strange twist of fate, our brand new M135i AND our VW California (both grey) were both in for paint issues; we now have the BMW back. We ended up with two medium sized coupes aimed at exactly the same market - Both are white, sport 19" alloys, have 2.0 diesel engines, cost a similar amount and are probably the choice of the distance company car driver who wants a bit more style.

BMW 420d
I've already given my views on this in the BMW section but I'll summarise here. "Ours" is a 420d Sport with extra 19" alloys and a few minor options retailing at around £35,000 all in. It has no satnav and a standard stereo with a manual box. It's VERY white and has 1200 miles on it is very new on a 63 plate.

420d.jpg

Passat CC
We've had an issue with the paint on the VW California after the dealer serviced it and "washed" it - leaving hundreds of swirls and scratches. I kicked up rather a fuss and it appears that they are trying to placate me by lending me their best loan car. It has a DSG box and I don't actually know what engine it has but it sounds and pulls like a 2.0 diesel so I'll assume that's what it is. It has full leather and some nice little touches. Again I don't know the price but I'd guesstimate it as similar to the 420d Sport. It's on a 13 plate with 12400 miles.

Passat.jpg

The looks
Very subjective of course but both are clearly trying to achieve the same aim; take a fairly common saloon shape and turn it into a swoopy coupe that turns the "right" heads. In my opinion the BMW looks better from behind and in profile, the Passat has a better looking but less aggressive front.

The cabin
The 420d is well finished with red leather stitched black leather sports seats but this version, with no satnav, gets a cheaper looking media screen with a rather plasticky surround. Nav versions get a "solid" screen that looks better. The screen is well placed and operated by the i-drive controller. The system is very intuitive and easy to operate but takes a little getting used to.
This version also has the base spec stereo and it's pretty poor - tinny, lacking in bass and generally unpleasant. Our own M135i has the Advanced (mid option) speaker package and in a car of this calibre, I think it's an essential minimum option.
The back seats are very hard to get to with young kids and they look lost in them (aged 5 and nearly 3). They both find it claustrophobic with a very high sill line and dark glass making the poor things look a little like lost souls in a big black cave.
Up front things are better with more light and good sports seats but the materials are pretty much the same as a low spec 1 series which may irk some buyers.
Visibility is rather limited and with a low roof line and high sills, it feels a bit like you're driving a big tank; parking sensors are essential and AFAIK, standard.

The Passat is rather pleasant inside with much nicer looking seats and a few nice touches like a classy looking analogue clock. The light coloured headlining makes it feel lighter and airier (WHY do BMW insist on using black headlining in anything sporty including our M135i?!). Visibility feels better and our kids looks far more comfortable in the back and can see out properly. With rear doors, access is many times easier.
The stereo has loads of speakers and is pretty loud but (it may be the settings) the sounds is fairly average.
The media system has a small touch screen in the middle of the dash and is a lot harder to see and use; BMWs i-drive system is streets ahead. This model has nav which I haven't yet tried but VWs systems are usually fairly good. BT connection is excellent and it immediately found my iPhone music and streamed it with virtually no loss in sound quality; many BT music systems I've used have sounded dire.
Both have large but rather impractical boots.

The Performance
The CC is a 177bhp diesel; however the 185bhp BMW 420d is a LOT quicker. The much lauded VW DSG box feels lethargic and hesitant to me; it may be an accomplished shifter and technologically advanced but I just don't like it and I've tried several. The BMWs manual box works far more effectively and while not one of the best, it's still pleasant to use - a slightly unusual issue is catching my size 10s on the clutch foot rest but this may just been my shoes. Needless to say, the 8 speed auto in our M135i is streets ahead of the DSG effort.
Both make a fairly unpleasant four pot diesel noise but the sound is well insulated in both.

The handling
Another surprise; while it's RWD vs FWD, the rear tyres on the 420d seem to both spin and lose grip more easily than expected; I've had the TCS light on several times with fairly moderate driving and fishtailed out of a few junctions. Yes the conditions here in Cornwall are abysmal but I expected the huge 19s to grip far more; it may be that they are run flats or it could be the chassis? Certainly my old E91 335d never got out of shape so easily. However the brakes are very good and mistakes easily corrected.
The Passat is actually very good - I haven't managed to step it out of line and grip seems better. It does wash a little wide on tight bends but it alls seems controlled and composed. While I prefer RWD, I think the Passat is actually more composed than the 420d.

Overall
It's a close run thing TBH and although the Passat in now getting on a bit, it's actually a very good car. More comfortable, more composed and possibly more luxurious.
The BMW has a lot more brand desirability and is a better looking car as well as going and stopping more quickly but IMO it doesn't all go BMWs way; which doesn't happen very often.

Attachments

• 420d.jpg
    420d.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Passat.jpg
    Passat.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 0
I'm no car expert but the BMW looks sweet :thumb

Before I got the Cali I kept up to date with the new models car manufactures released but losing track now. Is the BMW 420 roughly the same size as the latest 3 series? I.e have they rebranded the 3 series coupes as 4 series? Always felt that the coupe versions look a bit to similar to their saloon cousins. Mate has a 12 year old 330ci with 180k on the clock that still sounds great, if not quite as good as his other car.....a Lamboghini Gallardo.

owen_h said:
Before I got the Cali I kept up to date with the new models car manufactures released but losing track now. Is the BMW 420 roughly the same size as the latest 3 series? I.e have they rebranded the 3 series coupes as 4 series? Always felt that the coupe versions look a bit to similar to their saloon cousins. Mate has a 12 year old 330ci with 180k on the clock that still sounds great, if not quite as good as his other car.....a Lamboghini Gallardo.

Yep, in their wisdom BMW has decided to call the 3 series coupe a 4 series and the soon to be released 1 series coupe a 2 series!

Calikev said:
I'm no car expert but the BMW looks sweet :thumb
]
It's definitely a looker but it does limit visibility and the poor kids looked a bit lost in the back!

KernowLad said:
James said:
I didn't know you owned a BMW - why didn't you tell us this before?

How original and witty. :headbang

Well it is another post about your BMW. Personally I like the 4 series but it's a shame BMW can't get back to basics, when they had models you actually wanted.

They still make some of the best cars but all this niche marketing which they all do now, puts me off a little. I miss the shark fin nose stance and the days when they stood apart from the crowd.

Where I think they will make a dramatic difference is with their electric vehicles, if, as looks likely, they make the idea of an electric vehicle desirable or aspirational then that will be a game changer.

The new big coupe looks something special, even if it comes at a price.

Now let's talk proper BMW's

http://www.4starclassics.com/BMW-E30-32 ... or-Sale-2/

4 Star have a election of 'old school' classics

James

I saw the four series in what car? magazine last week and thought it looked really nice.
The only thing i find with the three series(I assume that's what it's based on?) is that it seems small inside, at least smaller than it should be looking at it from outside if you get what I mean.
Having said that we don't have kids so a smart looking coupe would be right up our street.
As for electric cars at the moment they seem pretty useless in terms of range, 100 miles or less is pretty limiting. It might be fine for commuting but pretty much rules out anything else.
What car? tested the new range rover hybrid this month, range rover claimed an electric only range of 1 (yes 1!) mile but they couldn't even get that and said it ran out after 400 yards!!!!
Bearing in mind how expensive electric cars are they seem a bit of a non starter at the moment unless you do only use them for local commuting and have another vehicle for everything else.

Freeley said:
I saw the four series in what car? magazine last week and thought it looked really nice.
The only thing i find with the three series(I assume that's what it's based on?) is that it seems small inside, at least smaller than it should be looking at it from outside if you get what I mean.
Having said that we don't have kids so a smart looking coupe would be right up our street.
As for electric cars at the moment they seem pretty useless in terms of range, 100 miles or less is pretty limiting. It might be fine for commuting but pretty much rules out anything else.
What car? tested the new range rover hybrid this month, range rover claimed an electric only range of 1 (yes 1!) mile but they couldn't even get that and said it ran out after 400 yards!!!!
Bearing in mind how expensive electric cars are they seem a bit of a non starter at the moment unless you do only use them for local commuting and have another vehicle for everything else.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think Electric Cars are not an answer, what interests me if BMW make them desirable, that will be interesting to see how this pans out.

No one aspires to a Nissan Leaf do they ??????

:) :):) : :) :) :)

James

I think the BMW brand is diluted by all these models. Look at the 3 and 5 series hatchback variants??????

What were they thinking?

The 4 series will be a fabulous car no doubt, but I don't want one... I know if I drove one I would go wow and oh this is nice....

But it is boring - perhaps that is harsh but in this instance it's just another model. In a few years time they will replace with something else.

I would take the Passat just because it's not a BMW. Even though that's crazy, for me sometimes the less obvious choice is the best choice.

It's why everyone should at some stage own an Alfa :)

James.

Gasgas said:
I'm with you on this one James as some one who has spent most of my career in the motor trade and 25 years of it with BMW I now find them to be a little too clinical. My personnel favourite was the Z3 M-COUPE and the E30 328i Sport was pretty good .

http://www.vwvortex.co.uk/images/mcoupe ... /pic66.jpg

I with you there on the coupe - an immaculate yellow one recent sold on 4 Star Classics.

Very very pretty :)

i wouldn't mind this

http://www.4starclassics.com/BMW-M635-CSi-For-Sale/

James

James; we've just bought a new car. It's a BMW and some are interested in it; deal with it.

I drove the CC a fair distance today and I'm warming to it. Very good at wafting, a good stereo and although small and badly placed, the satnav works well. Very good seats too.
There are a few cheap bits like the stalks but overall, not my thing but a good car.

The lack of rear doors and low roofline/high waistline did make the 420d a bit of a PITA as a family car but I can see the appeal without kids. I've never really got saloons or saloon derived coupes though; difficult access, impractical boots, poor visibility.

Our little hatch feels like a greenhouse in comparison; excellent visibility all around.

KernowLad said:
James; we've just bought a new car. It's a BMW and some are interested in it; deal with it.

I drove the CC a fair distance today and I'm warming to it. Very good at wafting, a good stereo and although small and badly placed, the satnav works well. Very good seats too.
There are a few cheap bits like the stalks but overall, not my thing but a good car.

The lack of rear doors and low roofline/high waistline did make the 420d a bit of a PITA as a family car but I can see the appeal without kids. I've never really got saloons or saloon derived coupes though; difficult access, impractical boots, poor visibility.

Our little hatch feels like a greenhouse in comparison; excellent visibility all around.

We're just chatting - you've posted in Open House Chit Chat - you did complain that no one replies to your posts.

No one is dissing BMW - they still make some of the best cars but people miss the days when car makers didn't have this ridiculous niche marketing policy of quite literally making a model for everyone.

What were BMW thinking with their GT Range - they are diluting their brand and run the risk of making cars that stand out, that people desire to cars that become a laughing stock.

Which would a shame, because in engineering terms, BMW are right up there.

James

I have to agree on that one; some of the brochures they do are so full of inane lifestyle waffle, it's hard to realise they actually make cars.

We were offered a 3 GT as a loan car; I chose the 4!

The M brand has been over used too; ours does actually have some M input (30% apparently!) but I'd never call it an M car. And the M Sport stuff often stuck on the slower models is simply for looks and really spoils the brand; and is really expensive!

My dad had a new E21 323i with all the extras in the 70s and he loved it; he thinks ours is a sort of modern day version. Try one if you can; they are terrific fun but still fairly practical.

The point is.....all this politics on here is pure waffle......

Man is not judged by the car he drives......but how he drives it.....

BerndRos said:
The point is.....all this politics on here is pure waffle......

Man is not judged by the car he drives......but how he drives it.....

in an ideal world lol

James

Lol indeed James......

I agree with your general sentiments 100%...........

James said:
Gasgas said:
I'm with you on this one James as some one who has spent most of my career in the motor trade and 25 years of it with BMW I now find them to be a little too clinical. My personnel favourite was the Z3 M-COUPE and the E30 328i Sport was pretty good .

I with you there on the coupe - an immaculate yellow one recent sold on 4 Star Classics.

i wouldn't mind this

James

An M6 What a great car I sold one of these in the 80's very rare even in those days

Gasgas said:
James said:
Gasgas said:

i wouldn't mind this

James

An M6 What a great car I sold one of these in the 80's very rare even in those days

To me it's one of those cars like the Jag XJS - time has been kind to it. The whole 6 Series BMW from that era looks like a modern class now.

James

Hexagon classics BMW section, always has a few jems a little pricey but always the cream of the crop.

Those 6 series are lovely - always like the bonnet and grille profile and general look. Good cars too. I like the very latest ones too but they nudge two tonnes which is simply too heavy.]

The original M3 is a gem too and now worth a fortune in good nick.

KernowLad said:
Those 6 series are lovely - always like the bonnet and grille profile and general look. Good cars too. I like the very latest ones too but they nudge two tonnes which is simply too heavy.]

The original M3 is a gem too and now worth a fortune in good nick.

4 Star classic had an original M3 - that looked great even now - much be proper quick still as they are so lightweight.

Also had 1987 M5 - one of the few that were sold in the UK from that era - again proper classic now.

James

Back