Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bluetooth connection rcd-310

Ajspicer

Ajspicer

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We bought our 2010 California last November and having only just sold our T5 camper we are starting to use the Cali more often.

The RCD 310 has a Bluetooth on/off option in settings but my iphone music will not connect, does the stereo head unit need an additional Bluetooth module for it to pair with devices or am I missing something?

If an additional piece of equipment is required can it be retro fitted?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Andrew - Bluetooth is a separate module... Dealer price around £250 if memory serves me right, although may be a little different as it's a while since I looked.

Certainly a very expensive add on.

There are a few non-OEM options on eBay which still give full functionality at round £150 but they still need coding by VW (or friendly tech) to the van/head unit.

You may have the bluetooth module though... Can you pair your phone? Earlier BT module don't support BT media streaming from most devices but handsfree phone is fine. Firmware 2.1 on the BT module and above support full media streaming

Rgds

Mark

I have now started researching the RNS-315 as it has built in bluetooth and integrated sat nav.

The RNS-510 also looks very tempting as they seem to go for an affordable price on ebay. Any advice on the version I should be looking for would be appreciated?

Andrew.

I have the P model, and I think the motto is just to get the most recent one possible, as the early versions may have some CANBUS issues.

It is worth noting that if you go for the RNS510, then you will still need the external Bluetooth module (the same one you needed for the 310)

Both are easy to fit, the hardest part is running the microphone from the BT module to the location above the rear view mirror.

T

Thanks for the responses.

Teeboy, you mention you have the "P" model, do you know what age vehicle this is from?

Thanks,

Andrew.

I think it is 2012. The numbering is not linear. From memory it goes a b c h p (there might be others). The more modern ones have bigger hard disks and clearer screens. I think you want to avoid the a and b units.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

RNS 315 or 510

Thanks Teeboy,

That is interesting, Ebay should be a safe bet if i choose the seller carefully, there are a lot of sellers with 100% feedback on hundreds of sales of VW ICE.

Now I just have to decide between a RNS 510 or a RNS 315, do I need DAB more than I need DVD :?:

Andrew

Re: RNS 315 or 510

Ajspicer said:
, do I need DAB more than I need DVD :?:

Andrew

Personally I'd say yes... watching DVD's etc on the dash mounted screen is not brilliant. Much better with a tablet/lap top for these type of things. The screen dash is actually at a very poor angle and small if you're not in the front seats.

But once again... just my opinion.

M

Buy an RNS 510 DAB :shocked

I would be cautious with fitting the mic in the centre above the rear view mirror. I had mine there when first fitted but audio quality was poor. Above the drivers head is much better.

I chose the centre location as you can buy a simple piece of trim to mount the microphone and it is easy push fit.

To put the mic above the driver involves cutting the head lining which I was not keen on.

Also as the Cali is my leisure vehicle I use the Bluetooth more for streaming than calling.

I went through exactly the same logic as you AJSPICER and to be honest only you can decide.

Stu is correct the DVD watching ability is a novelty and only used occasionally - these days most people watch films on a tablet.

We love the Hard disk feature of the RNS510, so we can have almost our entire CD collection available.

I also think there is a wider following on the internet for RNS510, so you will find more support for updated maps, firmware and other hacks.

Of course the 315 is lower cost and has integrated BT.

I think we have also covered elsewhere on the forum that the RNS510 is pretty slow to boot up and the navigation is not a slick as some more modern units, however it is so nice to have it fully integrated.

Just checked my ebay order history and I got a Bluetooth unit 7P6035730L inc Mic and Loom (£145) and I got a RNS510 model P (£506 inc P+P)

This was all 12 months ago.

I also found an old email from the seller of the RNS and the differences in the models:

Version C introduced the LED screen
Version H introduced the bigger Hard Disk
Version P - no idea what the difference is, but surely P is better than H!

Hope this helps.

T

Don't get

My mic is in upper centre & seems to work ok. Much easier to fit !!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Back