Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Blokey gadgety things

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Anyone else get a little over enthusiastic about rather mundane but gadgety items?

I needed a torch - I ended up with two bombproof, mega power Fenix TK torches.
And just last week, my Leatherman mini tool's file (which I pretty much never use) snapped. So I decided I needed another one despite having a Gerber Suspension and a little Victorinox penknife.
The Skeletool looked good but the Wave looked better. Oh but the Charge TTi has a posh blade and a few more functions - suddenly I have a top end multi-tool with my name engraved on it!! For Cali owners, it does come with a load of screwdriver bits so should cover most tasks - the the S30V blade is VERY sharp and shouldn't need a sharpen for years….!

Knife2-1.jpg

Knife.jpg

What pointless items do you obsess over?!

Not just blokes - I have a Leatherman Juice that I bought in the States some years ago. I must confess I rarely use it, although I always bring it with me. I am certain that one day it will save my life!

Kitty x

Kitty A said:
Not just blokes - I have a Leatherman Juice that I bought in the States some years ago. I must confess I rarely use it, although I always bring it with me. I am certain that one day it will save my life!

Kitty x

My sister has one in purple - it's a lovely little thing.

This is a particularly nice looking one too:

pi-8479.jpg

KernowLad said:
Anyone else get a little over enthusiastic about rather mundane but gadgety items?

I needed a torch - I ended up with two bombproof, mega power Fenix TK torches.
And just last week, my Leatherman mini tool's file (which I pretty much never use) snapped. So I decided I needed another one despite having a Gerber Suspension and a little Victorinox penknife.
The Skeletool looked good but the Wave looked better. Oh but the Charge TTi has a posh blade and a few more functions - suddenly I have a top end multi-tool with my name engraved on it!! For Cali owners, it does come with a load of screwdriver bits so should cover most tasks - the the S30V blade is VERY sharp and shouldn't need a sharpen for years….!

Knife2-1.jpg

Knife.jpg

What pointless items do you obsess over?!

Haha I'm glad it's not just me, I have the exact same Leatherman living in my Cali glove box. Amazing bit of kit that I always find an excuse to use/need must trip. :bananadance

Fenix TK 20 was my first serious torch, last was the Zebralight sc600(2) which at over 1000 lumens is a tiny powerhouse, both live in the Cali and both are used regularly. Still on the original Leatherman however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Goodness,

people as old as me just cannot go anywhere without the Mk4 hand-honed, environmentally friendly and superbly crafted flint and stone.

Bit fiddly to light a gas burner with though.

I have a wave in each of our other 2 vehicles and a juice in my bike tool bag.
What do I put in the Cali?
I've just bought a re-chargeable Led lenser torch for the Cali., it charges through the usb fitting.

GrannyJen said:
Goodness,

people as old as me just cannot go anywhere without the Mk4 hand-honed, environmentally friendly and superbly crafted flint and stone.

Bit fiddly to light a gas burner with though.

I quite often light a fire or bbq using a flint and steel, just for fun :D

Doesn't work with our alcohol stoves though.

I have multiple LED lensers too!

As for tools; Cold Steel Pocket Bushman and the trusty old Wenger Ranger series

+1 for leatherman juice, smugly cut myself a walking stick on a long walking trail - almost worth the pain of a sprained ankle!

What gadget would you use to remove the gas bottle connection?

rob

robo said:
What gadget would you use to remove the gas bottle connection?

rob

Hands... ;)

The fittings should be finger/hand tight, otherwise you risk over compressing O-rings etc.

Assuming you have the same fittings I do that is.

By the way... I've lost count of the Gerbers and Leathermans that are dotted around the van.. Can't beat a good multitool. I've also go a small bicylcle tool that has spanners, screw drivers and allen keys on. That get's more use than the normal multitool. :) (Particularly useful for tightening the bots on the folding chairs)

Something a little like this:-

Bicycle_repair_tool.jpg

Rgds

M

I have the Lezyne version of that SD!

870694d1392767989-do-i-need-multi-tool-trail-wmb80.gear.lezyne-399-75.jpg

And a Lezyne pump for each bike; great kit!

Glad I'm not the only one then - my "bit kit" just arrived for the Charge so I can now "fix" (or break) almost anything. And the "bit extender" is on it's way…

Grannyjen - :lol: :lol:

Back