Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Blackvue Dash Cam

B

Buds

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I am having a Blackvue DR750-2CH LTE front and rear dash cam with a Power Magic Pro fitted on Tuesday.

I am wondering if I should have it wired to the Leisure or Starter battery?

I have noticed some people have installed a switch to turn the camera off but not sure why?

I am thinking of installing Solar at some point in the year.

I really would appreciate some help on this.

Thanks
Jan

HI Buds

there are lots of threads on the Blackvue, try using the search function (top right of the forum header) you can them post any specific questions into existing threads and get a more targeted response.

As you would need an ignition feed it seems logical to take all power from the same battery for all power connections.
Unless you either fit a manual switch in the ignition power line from the leisure battery or a relay controlled by the ignition to do this automatically. ie if using the Leisure Battery only.

I powered my Blackvue from the leisure batteries using the Power Magic Pro supply. It was easy to pick up an ignition feed from the front fuse box. As this is just a sensing supply for the camera to know when the van is in use, it does not affect the performance of the system.

The camera can be set to record while parked if it senses any movement of the vehicle. Adding a switch to power down the system is useful when you are sleeping in the van. I also switch it off when at home, but given the power source is from two leisure batteries, the system would run for many weeks before flattening them. However, I think recording the inside of the carport is pointless.

Alan

I currently have mine wired back to the 20v connection behind the passenger seat. I’ve not bought the power magic pro supply. I’ve had no issues with this set up but it’s probably not optimal if you’re out and about for weeks on end or needing to use that socket for other items. It works for me though. It’s a good purchase and the live view mode is really why I bought it so I can monitor the van when its parked. The cloud storage is the only real issue I’ve had, it clearly needs some work on their side.

I am having a Blackvue DR750-2CH LTE front and rear dash cam with a Power Magic Pro fitted on Tuesday.

I am wondering if I should have it wired to the Leisure or Starter battery?

I have noticed some people have installed a switch to turn the camera off but not sure why?

I am thinking of installing Solar at some point in the year.

I really would appreciate some help on this.

Thanks
Jan
Unless you want to switch off the cameras when you’re driving (why would you?) there’s no need to fit a switch because the PowerMagicPro has it’s own switch to disable Parking Mode. Just ensure it’s installed in an easily accessible place. (Mine’s in the fusebox below the headlight switch). Of course the other way to switch the system off is to pull the power plug from the front camera. This is what you’ll find the VW workshop does when working on your van - privacy issues I guess?
Wiring to the leisure batteries rather than the starter battery would undoubtedly give you a longer period in Parking Mode before the PMP cuts the power. So far, i’ve not had an issue connected to the starter battery but it obviously depends how long you leave the van undriven.

5795CC4F-3C0B-4015-B035-BC6C65A490F3.jpeg

Thanks everyone for your posts very much appreciated, I was looking at lots of threads and getting confused.

Spoke to the guy who is fitting the dash cam and he also advised to link to the starter battery and that the PMP would cut off the power if the starter battery gets low.

Thanks
Jan

Just for information for any Blackvue dash-cam users.

I have replaced the supplied 32Gb Micro SD Card in my Blackvue DR750-2CH LTE dashcam with a Sandisk 256Gb High Endurance Micro SD card. It comes formatted exfat and can be installed without reformatting.

Blackvue discourage using 3rd party cards saying they can cause problems. They charge £261 for a 256Gb whereas the Sandisk card is £32.

All seems to be working fine at the moment. I’ll update if it fails.

I've previously had problems with my Nextbase Dashcam and a Sony DSLR with lost recordings both of which turned out be due to NOT formatting the card in the respective units.
Both worked OK for some time before the fault manifested itself.

I've previously had problems with my Nextbase Dashcam and a Sony DSLR with lost recordings both of which turned out be due to NOT formatting the card in the respective units.
Both worked OK for some time before the fault manifested itself.
I have formatted it in camera by holding the button for >5 seconds and all is working. It’s recording fine, events are uploaded to the cloud and I can view and playback footage remotely on my phone. Based on your experience @B J G I’ll obviously monitor it for any problems that might develop. Cheers.

Just had a Blackvue DR750x-2CH Plus installed by TTW Installations in Sherwood Nottingham. Very carefully done neat installation. It took them over 4 hours to install, which was predicted, given the complexity of routing the rear camera cable. We had a good demo of how to use the system when collecting the van. Installation was £225 + VAT. I’d recommend them.

image.jpg

image.jpg