Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Birmingham NEC

Not sure your correct re pricing, I have used the VW configurator. And have Westfalia pricing options list. Re GC I have excluded the additional bed as that space will be better utilised for storage as we do not envisage additional bodies.
ok, i may be wrong but looking at my vw prices the auxiliary heater and remote etc is £1140 extra, met paint £1400, basic on the road price about £71.5k, soon mounts up and yes the Westys aren't cheap either. Happy, If it works for you. :thumb

Went to the show yesterday, we were the first on the VW stand so got a uninterrupted look at the Grand, my impression echo's others on here a big van externally but cramped inside. Without going into detail I and the other half were left underwhelmed TBH. I would not have a conversation over a California Transporter but would have a converted Crafter over the Grand. I saw at least two converted Crafters better thought out than the Grand, also the MAN shares the same shell and there was a very nice conversion on that.
Talking to the staff about the 6.1 I was told that they were all in Canada, I said it would not of hurt them to have one here, but was informed that the journalists needs came before the UK buyer. I also raised the MPV/Motor caravan issue but fell on deaf ears, so spoke to conversion companies who are still registering transporters as Motor caravans with DVLA make of that what you will?

All converted vans are a compromise either from main manufacturer or third parties, its what does it for you and your pocket.

My summing up,
VW stand disappointing and boring, not impressed with the Grand Cali.
Converters have upped their game but also their prices, saw lots over 70k and one at 110/112k- madness.
Looking at something slightly bigger than the Cali, the Westfalia Columbus was ideal, 6m and top quality.
So many others poor quality finish. Net curtains for god's sake.
I think you are spot on with your comments. Some "interesting" conversions but the prices, lack of storage and the compromises were very off putting.

I thought the GC was great but just tooooooo white inside. I asked the VW guy about optional interior finishes, you can guess where that one ended!

Loved the Westfalia Jimmy Cook, the one with the slidy-out rear and based on the Sprinter with full off road bling. Just 90k reasons not to buy at the mo.

If you are interested in the current VW stand at the NEC Here We Tow have done a great show tour. VW features at 18min 43sec into the video. Nice to see the GC 680 on show.

Cool. Up there on Friday weather permitting!

Oh man....reading all these posts in shock that the T6.1 isnt at the NEC only realise these were from Oct 2019!!!

:headbango_O:D

So im still on for a nosey then! :p

My summing up,
VW stand disappointing and boring, not impressed with the Grand Cali.
Converters have upped their game but also their prices, saw lots over 70k and one at 110/112k- madness.
Looking at something slightly bigger than the Cali, the Westfalia Columbus was ideal, 6m and top quality.
So many others poor quality finish. Net curtains for god's sake.
Would agree with all that and go as far to say the VW effort was a disgrace - you would think they would have a more professional stand and have some (or even a lot) of accessories on display - absolutely nothing . My first time there so my expectations were based on the brand not past NEC shows - really disappointing and not befitting of the brand.

Interesting day.

Have to say I would tend to agree with larrylamb in regards to the VW stand. The VW rep engaged with me while I was waiting to enter the 680 so learnt that I didn't have a "great white", but a California. A woman and 3 young children then bundled into the vehicle (no concept of waiting), I poked my head in (no space left) and turned and quietly said its not the vehicle for us as I left; and he literally deflated in front of me. His reaction indicated a lot.(Hard sell?)

The 6.1, not a lot to say. A tad plain looking after walking through the conversions. Was the floor suede, the same as the cabinets? As it was set up for camping the new dash was hidden from view and I was unable to look at the control panel as a couple and VW rep were in the vehicle deeply engaged in the ordering process.

We went, we saw, we were very happy to come home in:IMG_20200221_093434 (002).jpg

Went on Thursday. Agree with most comments on here about the NEC, we struggled to get a good look round any of the vehicles without being over run by young children racing around them, opening all the cupboards and jumping on the beds.

Last edited:
Went on Thursday. Agree with most comments on here about the NEC, we struggled to get a good look round any of the vehicles without being over run by young children racing around them, opening all the cupboards and jumping on the beds.
Half Term.

Was thinking of going tomorrow, probably not going to bother now.

Good afternoon

We went on Wednesday. I thought it was very good. It certaily was not too full. Yes, later in the morning it was difficult to see some vehicles, but from 4 pm it got quite.

I agree that Volkswagen should have put more effort into the stand. I only can remember the T6.1 Coast (green), T6.1 Ocean (white/orange) and a Grand California 680.

We visited the VW stand twice that day. The first time at 5 past 10. At that time there were only VW staff at the stand. At least they had enough people working there.

I also wanted to look at the new radio and the digital dashboard. The key was quickly organized, but the batterie of the Ocean was flat. I have to wait until the end of March to have a closer look. My dealer will get an Ocean in at that time.

Overall I think the fair was good. I did not regret to go there. What I missed a wee bit was some 4x4 offroad versions of camper vans. Not necessarily hard core, just a bit. But I didn't see one vehicle. I believe last October I saw a few.

Regards,
Eberhard

Last edited:
Back