Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack usefulness

Boops

Boops

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hello,

I've noticed that the number one item in the for sale section is awnings. I have one myself and have only used it twice in a year and a half and only when away for longer trips so I can see why people sell these.

One of the other things that often comes up for sale is the bike rack. I am thinking of getting one for my California but am wondering how much it would get used. I've had my cali for a year and a few months and I have never seen any VW Campervan with bikes on the bike rack. I've seen plenty of Campervans with the bike rack, but none with bikes on the rack. Maybe that's a sign!

My questions are for the folks that have/had a bike rack, or anyone planning to buy one. Does it get used much? Does it affect the fuel usage when not in use (it must do when in use)? Is it better to spend the money on a folding bike?

Thanks for looking.

I have an aftermarket lowball rack that is always on my van and always with bikes on when I'm camping.

If you are a cyclist you will use it lots - if not you probably wont.

Mine comes in useful for carrying loads of other stuff - removals / old fridge to tip / delivering a dirty fire pit to parties / carrying boogie boards / carrying my solar shower / picking up our christmas tree annually - wouldnt be without it View recent photos (4).png

Hello,

I've noticed that the number one item in the for sale section is awnings. I have one myself and have only used it twice in a year and a half and only when away for longer trips so I can see why people sell these.

One of the other things that often comes up for sale is the bike rack. I am thinking of getting one for my California but am wondering how much it would get used. I've had my cali for a year and a few months and I have never seen any VW Campervan with bikes on the bike rack. I've seen plenty of Campervans with the bike rack, but none with bikes on the rack. Maybe that's a sign!

My questions are for the folks that have/had a bike rack, or anyone planning to buy one. Does it get used much? Does it affect the fuel usage when not in use (it must do when in use)? Is it better to spend the money on a folding bike?

Thanks for looking.
We have a tow bar mounted rack. Dead easy to put the bikes onto. Swings out of the way to open the tailgate. Wish I had one on my estate car years ago. Brilliant.

We use our tailgate mounted bike rack all the time for bikes. Boat trailer on the tow bar. Bike rack is also useful for drying wet sailing kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are a cyclist you will use it lots - if not you probably wont.

Mine comes in useful for carrying loads of other stuff - removals / old fridge to tip / delivering a dirty fire pit to parties / carrying boogie boards / carrying my solar shower / picking up our christmas tree annually - wouldnt be without it View attachment 93564
Great use for a bike rack. Watch out obscuring your number plate. You could get 3 points on your license I believe.

Hello,

Thanks for looking.
We have the genuine VW bike rack (t5), it is very good and we use it lots. We fit 4 bikes on for almost every holiday and for visits to bike park etc. in between. It is strong and stable. It definitely increases fuel consumption when on but that's expected really. When not in use I remove it so it doesn't affect economy then, so I can't comment on what it would be if left on. It's very easy to remove.
I have previously used bike racks on the roof of cars I owned, the VW tailgate rack is much easier to fit than those and much easier to load and fix bikes on.

Ditched mine years ago.
Just stops access to the rear boot with bikes attached.
Bought a sliding rack in 2014. Still use it now :thumb

No one has mentioned potential damage from the tailgate mounted bike rack,
even when using the plastic protective stickers supplied with the rack that are require to be stuck on the paint work to provide a level of protection from the mounting of the bike rack, there is a moderate to high chance that the tailgate mounted rack will at some point cause damage to the vehicle Paintwork, let alone panel damage if the rack hits something For example when reversing, accident, abrasion etc.

IMO tow bar mounted bike rack does not touch the vehicle (other than tow bar) And is removed totally from the Vehicle when not in use, thus limiting the potential for damage to the vehicle.
The Tailgate mount is often left on vehicles as it’s a pain to fit, take off and refit as may be required, that’s why most who have the tailgate rack leave it on permanently, when loaded prevents the easy use and increases the potential for damage if lifting the tailgate with bikes loaded,
the tailgate the tow bar rack can be removed to / from the vehicle in a matter of minutes and if certain models are chosen can allow easy access to the boot without the need to remove bike at all.

Tailgate version Restricts rear view whilst fitted (semi permanent)

I can see the initial appeal of the VW tailgate mounted bike rack and the allure of the “factory” fitment, but I also see the many downsides of a semi permanently fitted tailgate rack.

For full disclosuse, I have a tailgate mounted bike rack (altera strada tilting rack for 4 bikes) I bought it for my previous car & van (T5.1).
tow bar racks fit any vehicle with a tow bar, not so with the tailgate rack which is specific to vehicle / model. I.e. The T5 rack only fits the t5 / 5.1 the T6 only fits the T6 / 6.1 and is a similar price to a tow bar rack.

That is some of the reasons why you see VW tailgate racks for sales regularly

horses for courses.

26A8D780-2904-446D-9F8D-1EAD6BBBAD67.jpeg

Last edited:
Is it better to spend the money on a folding bike?

If you’re talking about one bike, (or even two) for getting around while the van’s parked up, then yes - buy a folder. They’ll take up no space in the van when moving, and you can lock them to a wheel while camping.

We’ve always travelled with bikes inside, but as Junior needs ever bigger bikes, I’m going to fit a rack on the tailgate. There are only two as cycling is beneath my OH ;)

No one has mentioned potential damage from the tailgate mounted bike rack,
even when using the plastic protective stickers supplied with the rack that are require to be stuck on the paint work to provide a level of protection from the mounting of the bike rack, there is a moderate to high chance that the tailgate mounted rack will at some point cause damage to the vehicle Paintwork, let alone panel damage if the rack hits something For example when reversing, accident, abrasion etc.

IMO tow bar mounted bike rack does not touch the vehicle (other than tow bar) And is removed totally from the Vehicle when not in use, thus limiting the potential for damage to the vehicle.
The Tailgate mount is often left on vehicles as it’s a pain to fit, take off and refit as may be required, that’s why most who have the tailgate rack leave it on permanently, when loaded prevents the easy use and increases the potential for damage if lifting the tailgate with bikes loaded,
the tailgate the tow bar rack can be removed to / from the vehicle in a matter of minutes and if certain models are chosen can allow easy access to the boot without the need to remove bike at all.

Tailgate version Restricts rear view whilst fitted (semi permanent)

I can see the initial appeal of the VW tailgate mounted bike rack and the allure of the “factory” fitment, but I also see the many downsides of a semi permanently fitted tailgate rack.

For full disclosuse, I have a tailgate mounted bike rack (altera strada tilting rack for 4 bikes) I bought it for my previous car & van (T5.1).
tow bar racks fit any vehicle with a tow bar, not so with the tailgate rack which is specific to vehicle / model. I.e. The T5 rack only fits the t5 / 5.1 the T6 only fits the T6 / 6.1 and is a similar price to a tow bar rack.

That is some of the reasons why you see VW tailgate racks for sales regularly

horses for courses.

View attachment 93575
They are another good solution, but very expensive if you don't already have a tow bar.

Most of the vw bike racks for sale are the newer design (scaffolding easy to pinch) the older shape is more popular and better.

The cost of an after market towbar would probably be cheaper than a proper repair to a tailgate / new tailgate.
I routinely carry 4 bikes on mine and have done for the last 5 years, no problems with any damage at all; and not aware of more than 1 or 2 reports of such, where the van’s been backed up into something (pretty sure that would apply to a tow bar fitted rack too) or its been over tightened; both easily avoided. Practicality is relevant and a choice, not sure damage should be quoted so strongly as a ‘thing’.

Personally, I wouldn’t be without our (tailgate mounted) bike rack.

As @CALI FATE said, its use will depend on whether you/ family are regular cyclists

Great use for a bike rack. Watch out obscuring your number plate. You could get 3 points on your license I believe.
I was pulled over for this on a motorway & got fined (wee VW Polo, the original shape, many years ago) . So definitely be careful...

Thanks for the responses. I'm starting to lean towards getting one but still not 100% decided yet. I tend to think along the lines of maybe if I get one then I will use it and cycle more. A bit like buying a pair of jeans a little bit on the tight side to encourage me to reduce my waist size! But I digress.

With all the responders saying that they use it, it still does not explain why I have never seen one with bikes attached to it. It does add a bit of bling to the cali though.

Thanks for the responses. I'm starting to lean towards getting one but still not 100% decided yet. I tend to think along the lines of maybe if I get one then I will use it and cycle more. A bit like buying a pair of jeans a little bit on the tight side to encourage me to reduce my waist size! But I digress.

With all the responders saying that they use it, it still does not explain why I have never seen one with bikes attached to it. It does add a bit of bling to the cali though.
I suspect because its a faff to remove a tailgate mounted one, so they're left on permanently, and in London not used to transport bikes round town so much.
Towbar one is preferable (and not much more expensive if you have a towbar) because it is easily removed, preserves more view out of the back window, and allows easy access to the boot whilst loaded with bikes.

We don’t have our Cali yet but tailgate bikerack is my No.1 on my “to buy” list . We go for tailgate bikerack because we didn’t go for tow bar on our order. We do mounting biking regularly so it will be used often.

It's part of the " Scene " and " Lifestyle ", practicality has nothing to do with it.

Use our tailgate rack about 2/3 times a week for short trips. Find it great in small car parks as it clears the bonnets of most cars & still allows full access to the boot. The fact that its on there 24/7 ready for use is a bonus for us.

We used to have an Atera Strada in the past which was great, but wife found 14kgs rack weight too heavy to lift off the garage wall & hassle for her to connect the van electrics each time. Towbar mount would interfere with how we use the van when camping in our Beach as we tend to cook at the rear of the van to have access to the fridge etc and use the tailgate as protection from rain (and have sliding boot tray, tailgate tent. so the rack + bikes would be in the way). Also one less thing to maintain as no bulbs / electrics to maintain. I Once managed to fry the flasher relay in our T4 by stupidly squashing the bikerack wire in the towbar clamp, which almost prevented us from getting the ferry...so have used a tailgate rack ever since.. I still remember the acrid electrical burning smell!

Just a case of choosing which works best for your needs.

Mine could not in any sense be called bling.It's more a rather bruised and battered formation of Aluminium hanging off my tow ball with a pretty light board attached.

However take one step back. as with your bike rack deliberations, I could never see a use for a tow ball but had one added anyway.

I could not then see that our Mum would go into a years long decline, that with my Sister we would be travelling 300 miles North regularly for those years and that the answer to our accommodation problems would be for her to buy a caravan and hang her accommodation off the Cali.

Post that we also did not see a 400 mile challenge walk being scrubbed because of her increasing arthritis but we could do a 900 mile bike ride instead. Electric bikes changed our lives, made the dream possible and all I needed was a bike rack to hang off the tow ball.

I did not see ever, not me, a mountaineer, long distance hiker, would ever be creating the objective that I describe in my signature link. Electric bikes again, a total life-changer and my battered and bruised bike rack the most essential commodity in my camping accessory list.:)

Last edited:
Back