Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack problems

H

Hels

i have recently bought a Cali (T5) and had a west falia detachable tow bar fitted (by the dealership) as we already had a Thule tow bar bike rack (euro classic G6 929). Anyway love the Cali and the bike rack except we cannot open the back door when bike rack is tilted ( we are 2-3 cms out). Seen on other threads that this bike rack works on other calis and so cannot work out what we are doing wrong? Are we using the wrong tow bar? All thoughts welcome.

I would suggest you put some fotos so we could help around

That's similar to mine, which has worked OK with a Thule towbar and a VW one; I do have to get the inner bike pedals in the correct position though.

I don't know if it will help, but there is an adjustment on the 'A' bracket; I haven't got the rack handy at the moment to give you any more detail.

Looks to me like the ball is slightly closer to the van than my fixed Westfalia bar. That would make the difference. Can you flex the bike rack away from the van to clear the door?

Alan

Thanks both will go and have a look. Just realised though that I did not add the key photo - doh. So attached incase that gives others any ideas. As it is not the problem getting the bikes on - just cannot open the door when bike rack tilted. However sounds like fixed tow bar may be longer than our detachable ( will investigate ). However where is ' a ' bracket on bike rack.

Thanks both will go and have a look. Just realised though that I did not add the key photo - doh. So attached incase that gives others any ideas. As it is not the problem getting the bikes on - just cannot open the door when bike rack tilted. However sounds like fixed tow bar may be longer than our detachable ( will investigate ). However where is ' a ' bracket on bike rack.
On your middle picture, it is the 'A' shaped section adjacent to the rear door that the clamps attach to. Look towards the bottom and you will see that the position can be adjusted (this from memory so can't be specific as to what it does)

Doesn't look to me as if that will ever adjust enough to be able to open it. It's the rack, not the towbar that is causing the problem.

I can't post any photos of ours until next weekend, but now I can see that your's is a different type and the the whole assembly is closer to the van.

The Thule Euro Classic G6 is the only one they state is designed for 'even very large rear door' so should be OK.

Looking at the picture in the brochure the bikes tilt to almost horizontal. Does yours do this?

Alan

I have a detachable Witter bar on mine and the Thule Euroclassic rack (bought S/H for under £100) doesn't quite work - the door fouls the rack when the rack is dropped down. I recall seeing some advice on a rack-sellers website which explains that small differences in the height of the ball and distance from the bumper means that there a rack may work on one Cali/Transporter but not on another. So you have to 'try before you buy'. But you already had the rack, of course.
I have borrowed an Atera Strada rack which does clear the door when folded down. It doesn't actually 'fold' but slides back on curved rails. Probably a better design - it also gives more clearance between rack and bumper when 'dropped' so better for boot access. But not cheap.
Cheapest option is live with the Thule rack and take off rack/bikes for boot access OK once you are on site, but a pain if you want to get in the boot en route - like turning on the gas for a brew!

Currently in Italy. Atera Strada with westfalia towbar right here right now. Works perfectly, the best cycle for a T5 bar none...!!!

A big thank you to all - a combination of your comments has solved it. For those interested we moved the bracing wires ( which hold the bike rack in place when tilted) this changed the angle of tilt from 50 degrees to 70 degrees ( frankly we should have read user manual for this one as it is included ) in addition if you make sure when you clamp on the bike rack it is horizontal and not slightly up at the back then we have about 5 mm clearance!!!! Now sitting on campsite in thetford with glass of wine feeling particularly happy about sorting out this one. Thanks!!

Oops, misread that last post.... Sitting on a thetford in a campsite with a glass of wine....,..

Good to hear all is sorted.

When I looked at the tilted photo I wondered about those wires.
I will now be buying the G6 Bike Rack again, was changing my mind at one point during this thread.

Alan