Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike Rack - paintwork protectors

JOHNB61

JOHNB61

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Anyone know where I can get some replacement sticky plastic that protects the paintwork on the Cali tailgate from the bike-rack please?

Cheers
John

Anyone know where I can get some replacement sticky plastic that protects the paintwork on the Cali tailgate from the bike-rack please?

Cheers
John
I cut some old cycle inertube to fit directly onto my T5 bike rack
l can’t remember what glue I used but it’s still stayed good and Im frequently taking the bike rack off !

Clear Gorilla tape (screwfix, Halfords or Amazon)

You can buy clear paintwork protection film on a roll on ebay or Amazon. VW prices are extortionate.

I use copter tape from Just Riding Along because I normally have some lying around but it’s good stuff.

I cut some old cycle inertube to fit directly onto my T5 bike rack
l can’t remember what glue I used but it’s still stayed good and Im frequently taking the bike rack off !
Whilst that seems to be working for you worth being carful if you leave the rack on in winter.
The idea of the protection film is that it sticks to the paintwork so any friction / abrasion happens between the rack & the film.
By sticking the protection to the rack there is still the opportunity for dirt & grit to get in between the protection and the paintwork and cause damage.

Thanks everyone - that gives me some good options.

Cheers John

You should be able to get them from the club shop. But they are ridiculously expensive for what they are. Much better of making your own as above.