Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

BIG NEWS WITH RUST ISSUE!

P

Patrick Lima

Vehicle
T5 Beach
To all who have seen my 2015 Cali, 115,000km roof line rust issue after being apparently repaired at the factory in 2019, I just received a wonderful letter from VW headquarters in Germany that they will repair and fully take responsibility from what was done wrong during the building of that car. After 2 months of ping ponging e-mails, I say THANK YOU VW! 37F14201-5827-4E6A-BECF-A4AA14203DB7.jpeg7BAF53D7-7E86-4716-96CA-76FF293B9F67.jpeg36EC19A7-12A2-4354-9E31-5891DE9F3507.jpeg

53649E92-27A2-45C6-AD24-53EC40668E4E.jpeg

Great news for you
Does this affect the roof seal mis-design issue where newish vans are getting rust issues …?

Great news for you
Does this affect the roof seal mis-design issue where newish vans are getting rust issues …?
No. Completely different problem.

It took Land Rover over 50 yrs to solve the problem of Dissimilar metals Galvanic Corrosion on the Series 1,2,3 and Defender. They solved it by discontinuing production. They will do the same with the T6.1 California by discontinuing production.

No. Completely different problem.

It took Land Rover over 50 yrs to solve the problem of Dissimilar metals Galvanic Corrosion on the Series 1,2,3 and Defender. They solved it by discontinuing production. They will do the same with the T6.1 California by discontinuing production.
Very true!! Maybe they will go with fibreglass for the next gen.

Hope so. We have never had an issue with a fibreglass roof, and they are a lot stronger.
Don’t speak too soon. Mercedes/Westfalia Marco Polo owners would disagree.

Don’t speak too soon. Mercedes/Westfalia Marco Polo owners would disagree.

High tops instead then??

To all who have seen my 2015 Cali, 115,000km roof line rust issue after being apparently repaired at the factory in 2019, I just received a wonderful letter from VW headquarters in Germany that they will repair and fully take responsibility from what was done wrong during the building of that car. After 2 months of ping ponging e-mails, I say THANK YOU VW! View attachment 109372View attachment 109369View attachment 109370

View attachment 109371
OMG, last time I saw rust like that it was on a sunken ship! That’s absolutely shocking, glad to here VW are sorting it for you.

To all who have seen my 2015 Cali, 115,000km roof line rust issue after being apparently repaired at the factory in 2019, I just received a wonderful letter from VW headquarters in Germany that they will repair and fully take responsibility from what was done wrong during the building of that car. After 2 months of ping ponging e-mails, I say THANK YOU VW! View attachment 109372View attachment 109369View attachment 109370

View attachment 109371
Ver good news.
Although you could have left it and joined the VW Patina Club :)

IMG_4250.jpeg

That's brilliant news! Well done VW. I'm still really staggered, though, by the number of experiences posted of rust/corrosion problems on Calis produced in the last (roughly) 10 years. Mine was made in 2008, and I have never had any rust/corrosion problems. I also know of many owners of older Calis. who - like me - have never had such a problem. I wonder why such things have been more frequent in the last 10 or so years? It might, of course. be that many of the older experiences weren't shared!

That's brilliant news! Well done VW. I'm still really staggered, though, by the number of experiences posted of rust/corrosion problems on Calis produced in the last (roughly) 10 years. Mine was made in 2008, and I have never had any rust/corrosion problems. I also know of many owners of older Calis. who - like me - have never had such a problem. I wonder why such things have been more frequent in the last 10 or so years? It might, of course. be that many of the older experiences weren't shared!
Car world now is all about cost cutting and surely cheapness is more and more. Even in high end cars. VW should have never entered the camper conversion business. I once owned a 1993 Westfalia and the quality building by them is far more better made than the t5 versions.