Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best ways of hanging fairy lights on Outside of the van?

Lambeth Cali

Lambeth Cali

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Has anyone got a good way of putting fairy lights on the outside of their van for decoration?
I find the awning and sliding door make it difficult. Also sometimes you want the awning out, sometimes in. I don’t want to have to yank lights around every time I do that.
I started hanging them from a tree instead but then some sites don’t like you messing with trees.
I don’t mean permanently. I just mean hanging lights with battery or solar power for an attractive effect. Not for illumination.
Pictures particularly welcome!

Last edited:
One way of putting them in your van
Has anyone got a good way of putting fairy lights on their van?
I find the awning and sliding door make it difficult. I started hanging them from a tree instead but then some sites don’t like you messing with trees.
Pictures particularly welcome!

You can get packs of suckers with hooks attached specifically for hanging lights.

I’ve amended my question. On the outside of the van.
I’ve already got lights on the inside.

We usually just use washing line pegs and peg them to the awning front and sides or weave them through the awning roof supports which is more of a faff.
We use wooden pegs too, works a treat

I have adhesive hook Velcro at various places on the inside of the awning and awning arms, and attach the lights to these. However, our lights are for seeing, and not decorative.

285d345a7e910097554115b39bae40b2.jpg

In this photo there are three lights in the tent and one Velcroed to the inside of the leading edge of the awning.

I have no Velcro on the outside of the awning casing, and the awning needs to be out ~6 inches without legs for our lights to be attached so you need to manually lift the awning casing to open the front door.

You can get black adhesive Velcro if you want lights on the outside of the casing.

These solar powered LUCIE lights just clip on to the awning post ….. by chance a perfect fit. They have several levels of brightness and work all night. Can be USB or solar charged View attachment 83974
Hi Jools. Could you provide a link as these would be perfect for us! Had a quick google but got loads of options back. Thanks

These solar powered LUCIE lights just clip on to the awning post ….. by chance a perfect fit. They have several levels of brightness and work all night. Can be USB or solar charged View attachment 83974
Ooh I have these lights but hadn't realised they fit the post so perfectly - thanks!

(They're really fab lights by the way - both decorative and bright enough to give decent lighting)

Hi Jools. Could you provide a link as these would be perfect for us! Had a quick google but got loads of options back. Thanks
I think they meant Luci lights.

I looked for some for camping a few years ago but Go Outdoors always seemed to be out of stock. From memory, think I've seen them in places like IWOOT as well. A quick Google threw up this which looks to be the same thing.

I looked for some for camping a few years ago but Go Outdoors always seemed to be out of stock. From memory, think I've seen them in places like IWOOT as well. A quick Google threw up this which looks to be the same thing.

These look great. They're on Amazon also.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KYPDPKC/?tag=eliteelect-21

The picture doesn't really do these justice. They look great.

Thanks, really helpful! Have just ordered one. Ooooooh fairy lights!

Back