Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best toll tag for France, Switzerland, Italy.

J

Jester

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi all,

I know a lot of you have completed this journey lately, so looking for the most up to-date option of which tag should I invest in that covers France, Switzerland, Italy as travelling early June then in September to Croatia. Ideally looking for just the one. Appreciate it may not be possible.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I know a lot of you have completed this journey lately, so looking for the most up to-date option of which tag should I invest in that covers France, Switzerland, Italy as travelling early June then in September to Croatia. Ideally looking for just the one. Appreciate it may not be possible.

Thanks in advance.
Switzerland doesn't use a Toll system. You purchase a Vignette either over the Internet or at a border service station to use the motorway road system.

Switzerland doesn't use a Toll system. You purchase a Vignette either over the Internet or at a border service station to use the motorway road system.

Many thanks WG for the guidance

Following.
I am looking into the same thing but the only france. I saw it is possible to buy an tracer you place on the dash so you can pass all the Peage points. and you are billed once you are back.
This bill is once every month as long as you have the tracker active.
I was wondering if there is an other way. (Now i just stop and pay with VISA card)

Following.
I am looking into the same thing but the only france. I saw it is possible to buy an tracer you place on the dash so you can pass all the Peage points. and you are billed once you are back.
This bill is once every month as long as you have the tracker active.
I was wondering if there is an other way. (Now i just stop and pay with VISA card)
I use this.

Also following. Have checked into a few options but nothing decided yet. Primarily interested in France but with an upgrade path to include Spain/Portugal and Italy

I use this.
Emovis doesn't seem to be an option if based on the Continent

I've got an Emovis tag in the UK, this thread reminded me I should check it and the website says battery life is nearly up so I just ordered an additional tag to be ready for this summer. No complaints with Emovis, service is always very prompt.

*edit* reloaded page and saw Emovis not an option, will leave the above anyway in case UK people are interested.

I used an emovis sanef tag for many years.
Covered France only.
And had an Italian telepass tag.

I have now returned the sanef tag and upgraded the telepass to cover Italy France and Portugual - with just one tag.

We use Fulli (was Mango):

Requires payment by international direct debit (SEPA) will not accept credit cards debits, but the system works well.

France, Spain, Portugal and Italy.

I used an emovis sanef tag for many years.
Covered France only.
And had an Italian telepass tag.

I have now returned the sanef tag and upgraded the telepass to cover Italy France and Portugual - with just one tag.
and Spain

I use Bip&Go (part of the Sanef group). France, Spain, Portugal and Italy, subscription fee only in months that I actually use it.

Last edited:
I used bip and go last summer through France and Italy, it worked perfectly. I got separate bills for each country.

We use Fulli (was Mango):

Requires payment by international direct debit (SEPA) will not accept credit cards debits, but the system works well.

France, Spain, Portugal and Italy.
I'm also with Fulli(Mango) and I pay my invoice with a Halifax Clarity credit card. Been payiny with credit card for the last five years when Mango were APRR.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
If you are going through Slovenia you will also need a vignette which you can buy online from the official website https://evinjeta.dars.si/en.

If you plan to go through Austria you can register your vehicle online to pay the toll charge but you need to register for Digital section toll FLEX https://www.asfinag.at/en/

You can also buy the Austrian vignette online but you need to register the date you want to travel at least 18 days before entering Austria. It is a lot easier to buy the vignette from the motorway services.

Last edited:
I'm also with Fulli(Mango) and I pay my invoice with a Halifax Clarity credit card. Been payiny with credit card for the last five years when Mango were APRR.
They must have tightened up since, I tried really hard when joining last year for credit card billing but they would not have it. However, given the Mango to Fulli switch I think you have inspired me to try again as I don’t like direct debits.

Can anyone confirm if Bip and Go or Sanef allow credit card charging? Or any other tag system which does Italy, Spain, France and Portugal?

They must have tightened up since, I tried really hard when joining last year for credit card billing but they would not have it. However, given the Mango to Fulli switch I think you have inspired me to try again as I don’t like direct debits.

Can anyone confirm if Bip and Go or Sanef allow credit card charging? Or any other tag system which does Italy, Spain, France and Portugal?
Here is a screenshot from my Fulli account:

Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 06.44.14.png

I also use Bip&Go. The first "transponder " I've received didn't work, which you only find out when you travel for hols , I arrived at Vipiteno Autostrada after the Brennero from Austria-Germany, packed with cars queueing for their ticket and with a smile , smirk in my face headed for the Telepass gate in a line of slow but constantly moving big trucks. The the bip&go didn't bip so I couldn't go, with me trying to hold the damn thing in various positions to no avail. It is better that I don't report what the truckers behind me yelled on this occasion. Same story on other attempts, so I had to return it at my expenses, couple of euros, and I did receive a new one which works now perfectly, very happy with bip&go since, despite the initial random issue

I also use Bip&Go. The first "transponder " I've received didn't work, which you only find out when you travel for hols , I arrived at Vipiteno Autostrada after the Brennero from Austria-Germany, packed with cars queueing for their ticket and with a smile , smirk in my face headed for the Telepass gate in a line of slow but constantly moving big trucks. The the bip&go didn't bip so I couldn't go, with me trying to hold the damn thing in various positions to no avail. It is better that I don't report what the truckers behind me yelled on this occasion. Same story on other attempts, so I had to return it at my expenses, couple of euros, and I did receive a new one which works now perfectly, very happy with bip&go since, despite the initial random issue
Every trip the first toll booth holds a certain trepidation ;)

So what do you do, enter the toll booth at a snails pace and then stop if no Bip?

So what do you do, enter the toll booth at a snails pace and then stop if no Bip?
There's a button so a ticket would be automatically issued by the machine as you were in another boot. I would advise for the very first time to test in one of those boots that indicates manual ticket AND Telepass

Every trip the first toll booth holds a certain trepidation ;)
I experienced very rare failures with both the emovis tag and the telepass. Say 1% failure rate …
Still when the device had been dormant for many months you never know if it’ll wake up

Back