Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best tie-down kit for awning?

Smiffy4bikes

Smiffy4bikes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all,

I was going to post question about whether or not it's a good idea to wind in your awning at night, but after a quick search amongst old posts, seemingly most people do, or at least, use a tie-down kit.

Personally I like the idea of leaving the awning up so if the weather is a bit 'damp' in the morning I can open the sliding door and at least stay dry!

So do any of you use a tie down kit at all? Can guy ropes be used with the awning just to stop it blowing about and getting damaged in the wind?

Thanks in advance as always...:thumb

Fiamma sell a kit that clips on to the top of the legs .

Cheapest way is to make your own with an off cut piece of figure of eight and a hole punch kit from a camping shop that allows you to make a plastic or brass eyelet. I did that and it works well.

The Forum shop has a Tie Down kit.

However you could buy the Awning Hooks, also in the Shop, which fit in the Awning Channel and attach guy ropes to them.:thumb

I bought a tie down kit from Comfortz at Tewksbury the other week. I think it was £20. Not sure if it's different from the club one - two very substantial pegs, springs, guys and hardware to attach to awning rail; comes in a box about 14" long x 2" x 2" (350 x 50 x 50mm). Too lazy to go to the van and read what it says on the box! :D

Thanks everyone, very useful replies, as always :thumb

That's put my mind at rest, I shall check out the club shop, thank you.

We bought the Thule tie down kit which is excellent although the heavy duty pegs can cut your mallet up a bit when you bash them in.

We leave the awning up overnight if the wind is gentle enough. Always have one side lower than the other at night unless you are certain it will not rain to avoid waking up to the dreaded bulge in the awning.

We use the awning a lot (sometimes with a side panel) as we find it creates a cozy outdoor space and as you say it keeps you dry when opening the door on wet days.

I always use one - since getting up once at 3am in Scotland to wind in the awning when a sudden storm came in and threatened to demolish the awning. One tip - the fiamma type use a flat webbing strap - this can annoyingly vibrate even in a relatively low breeze - if the webbing is twisted several times to get a spiral effect it stops the vibration completely (maybe some effect like the spiral wind deflectors fitted to large chimneys?).

Used our Thule kit for first time in Norfolk last night. Did the job perfectly but as a previous poster said the pegs do cut into your mallet!

image.jpeg Has anyone ever tried to mount legs to the side of the van? I wonder if that's even possible. I like the idea.

View attachment 15018 Has anyone ever tried to mount legs to the side of the van? I wonder if that's even possible. I like the idea.
T4's can be fitted with the Panel Leg clip but not the T5 as there is insufficient room at the rear because of the sliding door and I believe the front is problematical as well as it would have to be fitted on the door so could not be used when in use.

Which awning tie down kit do forum members think the best (for Ocean MY2023); there are several described at the Shop and in past postings (Thule, Fiamm, Brandrup, DIY, etc.)?

Perhaps there is little in it. I was about to buy the Thule kit, which seems to be the most commonly posted about, but thought I would ask first.

Last edited:
i use a hammer with two different heads
tho5270192c.jpg
both can be replaced if they get to damaged or worn out.it costs around £20 for the hammer which some may feel expensive compared to the rubber mallets but it is far more useful than a rubber mallet.

Thor

Aluminium & Plastic Hammer, Size 2​

Which awning tie down kit do forum members think the best (for Ocean MY2023). There are several described at the Shop and in past postings (Thule, Fiamm, Brandrup, DIY, etc.)?

Perhaps there is little in it. I was about to buy the Thule kit, which seems to be the most commonly posted about, but thought I would ask first.
Thule are purpose built for the Cali awning, but I had Fiamma straps on my old van and they seemed more sturdy + pegs were longer and more solid (but a real pain to get out of hard soil!). That said, both are good!

Main difference is that they attach to different points on the roller awning, Fiamma might prvent you from using full kador strip if you plan on attaching connecting a free standing awning into the guide rail:

Thule:

1683031388333.png
Fiamma:
1683031440433.png

i use a hammer with two different heads
tho5270192c.jpg
both can be replaced if they get to damaged or worn out.it costs around £20 for the hammer which some may feel expensive compared to the rubber mallets but it is far more useful than a rubber mallet.

Thor

Aluminium & Plastic Hammer, Size 2​

Great idea, I have a Thor with two soft ends, I’ll order an aluminium and thick plastic !

I bought the Peggy Peg System last year, at a show. Absolutely brilliant bit of kit. I used to have the Fiamma tie downs and the pegs bent like bananas after one show. Screenshot (50).png

helpful posts, thank you. Peggy Peg system looks great - though pricey. I like that Thor hammer too, my only thought is would a 8oz stubby claw hammer be a useful alternative to help with peg removal if I take the traditional pegs route?

1683201113571.jpeg

Back