Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bedding for upper and lower

Yes, we have silk quilts. The great benefit is they take up so little space. A standard duvet cover almost adds more space and weight than the duvet. You can't use quite the same tog rating comparison with standard quilts because of the way silk regulates body temperature. They are cool in summer and warm in winter, especially if you use both the summer and autumn together. If you go for the all silk type, they are very hypoallergenic. For this reason I don't see the point of having a silk filling in a cotton casing (eg John Lewis), as they are less hypoallergenic and bulkier. I prefer the all silk type, eg from Silkwood Silk, but there are other suppliers. The duvets are best aired out in sunlight.

Small pack size is a big Cali advantage. The downsides are cost and lack of weight; they may not suit if you prefer heavier bedcovers.

For the roof bed, we also use a washable wool mattress topper from The Woolroom, which was previously recommended on another thread and is also hypoallergenic and good at regulating body temperature. The small double is a good fit, but obviously you have to remove it before closing the roof, so that adds some bulk to your overall packing. They are currently 25% off, but still quite expensive.
Thank you Jane for your knowledge. I bought a "half n half" silk quilt and used it on our first outing when the evening temperature plummeted to zero degrees. We slept on the bottom and we were absolutely fine with no heating on. So happy with our investment and it really does not take up much space at all.

We have two sets of the shop fitted sheets for the upper berth. We also keep a light goose down double duvet, folded in half, squished into the roof cavity - always there and ready for an unexpected overnight when trapped on a closed M25.

We also have 2 sets of the Brandup fitted sheet for the lower berth. Very comfy. We used to take a double duvet for the lower berth, but for now we will probably be leaving the boys downstairs on a half mattress in sleeping bags.

I'm not keen on the stretchy jersey sheets. Are there any plain cotton/polyester that are a better size. The ridges of extra material on our double fitted sheets are annoying.

Thank you Jane for your knowledge. I bought a "half n half" silk quilt and used it on our first outing when the evening temperature plummeted to zero degrees. We slept on the bottom and we were absolutely fine with no heating on. So happy with our investment and it really does not take up much space at all.
Glad you are happy with your choice. You should find them cooler in the summer too.

The Brandrup sheets are excellent. I dyed them smoke grey with Dylan and they look great as well both upstairs and down. Well worth the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back