Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bed stuck down!

Whitehouse_03

Whitehouse_03

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Any tips to free the downstairs bed as it’s currently stuck in the down / bed position? I think the lever is not raising the part that holds the seat in the rail. Thankfully I was away without the family so I drove home with it down, otherwise we would have been very stuck! It’s a new T6.1 so under warranty but very annoying. Thanks

Is it the first time you’ve used it, or has it been fine up until now? The mechanism can be rather stiff when new. Don’t be afraid to give it a good hard tug.

Any tips to free the downstairs bed as it’s currently stuck in the down / bed position? I think the lever is not raising the part that holds the seat in the rail. Thankfully I was away without the family so I drove home with it down, otherwise we would have been very stuck! It’s a new T6.1 so under warranty but very annoying. Thanks
I had that, the cable had broke as something was stuck in mechanism. Ended up getting breeze to take bed out (they had it for a couple of weeks), strange driving cali without rear seat.
If you use the search section will be loads of advise as it may be just new and a little stiff.

Is it the first time you’ve used it, or has it been fine up until now? The mechanism can be rather stiff when new. Don’t be afraid to give it a good hard tug.
It’s had loads of use and has been mostly fine. We had one occasion where it got stuck but released and no problems since. Yes, I tried the big tug but no joy unfortunately.

I had that, the cable had broke as something was stuck in mechanism. Ended up getting breeze to take bed out (they had it for a couple of weeks), strange driving cali without rear seat.
If you use the search section will be loads of advise as it may be just new and a little stiff.
As luck would have it, it’s booked in with Breeze tomorrow for a long list of other warranty items! Fingers crossed I won’t be left without a rear bench as that makes it unusable for me as we have 2 children i ferry around

Mine was done at Breeze Totton, Derek is really helpful there.
They don’t like to take just the seat but I needed van so they did. It wasn’t cheap so hope it’s not the same (around £500 that was 4yrs ago ish).
Keep us posted on how you get on. :thumb

As luck would have it, it’s booked in with Breeze tomorrow for a long list of other warranty items! Fingers crossed I won’t be left without a rear bench as that makes it unusable for me as we have 2 children i ferry around
According to your Avatar details you have a T5 130.?
is the bed flat? Or is the back upright?

According to your Avatar details you have a T5 130.?
is the bed flat? Or is the back upright?
Apologies - that’s out of date. We have a T6.1 now. The bed is completely flat.

I had this happen with my T6 whilst pitched up… try moving the bed forward and back abit. That freed up the mechanism.

I had this happen with my T6 whilst pitched up… try moving the bed forward and back abit. That freed up the mechanism.
Yes, I’ve tried this for many hours yesterday morning but it’s not budging

Yes, I’ve tried this for many hours yesterday morning but it’s not budging
Does the drawer pull out and empty. I looked up right in boot and saw I had jammed something in it when turning into bed, which then broke cable pulley release.
Climb in with torch and have a nose

Try this:

Apologies - that’s out of date. We have a T6.1 now. The bed is completely flat.
So can you not lift the back rest, with assistance, someone pulling the central strap while pushing or pulling the back rest up?

Does the drawer pull out and empty. I looked up right in boot and saw I had jammed something in it when turning into bed, which then broke cable pulley release.
Climb in with torch and have a nose
That’s a good shout. I’ll see what I can see. Thank you.

So can you not lift the back rest, with assistance, someone pulling the central strap while pushing or pulling the back rest up?
No because you need to slide the bed back slightly before the back rest will raise with the strap. It will not budge in the slightest, no matter how much I swear at it

Have you checked the rear head restraints, mine in 2 occasions got stuck/jammed on the floor in that the backrest did not have any movement to enable it to release on the strap. I had to open the back and either lean through and push the headrests forward or as on the 2nd occasion just used a broom.

No because you need to slide the bed back slightly before the back rest will raise with the strap. It will not budge in the slightest, no matter how much I swear at it
Remove the multiplex from the boot.
You should be able to then raise the seat back and possibly the seat.

Remove the multiplex from the boot.
You should be able to then raise the seat back and possibly the seat.
Same problem for me now. What is the “multiplex”?
Need to make breakfast.

Ok, thanks. It’s raining horizontally right now with a solid 40 knots wind. Any emptying of drawer or trunk will have to wait until tomorrow.

image.jpg

Mine got stuck a couple of times when the van was a month old or so - pulling out the multiflex somehow freed it. Since then it hasn't jammed. I check religiously for a solid CLUNK whenever I move the bed fore/aft - the strap mechanism apparently needs that clunk to unlock

Thanks. I don’t understand how the multiplex back shelf has anything to do with it since there is no connection with the seat when I pull it forward. I have tried the clunk sound since I also been aware of that. But I’m afraid the left wire has fell of the handle. Look at the pictures of left end right side of the relea handle.

1B19CD5D-1A5F-4FAD-A2CE-D81E9EEADE2A.jpeg

5A08DDB8-97E3-4A45-A11D-61E24F60F192.jpeg

Update; The backrest is now in upright position again. I managed to get a grip on the loose wire with a flat iron. Now I need to remove the back trim to to get the cable back in position. I afraid I might have to replace the release handle and even the wire, or both left and right wire. Any advice how to remove the trim? Spare parts? I haven’t found the backseat in any of the spare part webb sites.

Update; The backrest is now in upright position again. I managed to get a grip on the loose wire with a flat iron. Now I need to remove the back trim to to get the cable back in position. I afraid I might have to replace the release handle and even the wire, or both left and right wire. Any advice how to remove the trim? Spare parts? I haven’t found the backseat in any of the spare part webb sites.
This is a Beach? I’m on my phone, can’t see your profile.
Have a look on LLL - They seem to have most parts schematics. I couldn’t find the 3 seat bench but here’s the 2 seater https://www.lllparts.co.uk/catalogs/vw/RDW/CAMP/1058/0/067/67030

Back