Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bed size? And what is a ‘coast’ ?

Birty

Birty

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Silly basic question but is the beach bed wider than the ocean bed ( no kitchen) sorry if asked before.. Also can anyone tell me what a ‘Coast ‘ is ? Is it a different name for an ‘ocean’? Ta in advance

Silly basic question but is the beach bed wider than the ocean bed ( no kitchen) sorry if asked before.. Also can anyone tell me what a ‘Coast ‘ is ? Is it a different name for an ‘ocean’? Ta in advance
Lower Beach Bed is wider as you don't have the kitchen units etc running down the side. Roof bed is same width.

- 2 Seat Beach Bench + storage sits lower than the 3 Seat Bench. Bed is also flatter due to the seat design. Think its the same seat as used in an Ocean.

1643365864383.png

1643365880972.png
1643366057859.png

- 3 Seat Beach Bench is higher has more storage space under the Bed. Seats are more shaped for passenger comfort, but requires a special mattress which smooths out the bumps in the seats when folded into a Bed. MFB (Folding parcel shelf) allows for various configurations for when you slide bench forward + back.

1643365987961.png

1643366003777.png
1643366410953.png

1643366179667.png

Last edited:
Lower Beach Bed is wider as you don't have the kitchen units etc running down the side. Roof bed is same width.

- 2 Seat Beach Bench + storage sits lower than the 3 Seat Bench. Bed is also flatter due to the seat design. Think its the same seat as used in an Ocean.

View attachment 88609

View attachment 88610
View attachment 88613

- 3 Seat Beach Bench is higher has more storage space under the Bed. Seats are more shaped for passenger comfort, but requires a special mattress which smooths out the bumps in the seats when folded into a Bed. MFB (Folding parcel shelf) allows for various configurations for when you slide bench forward + back.

View attachment 88611

View attachment 88612
View attachment 88616

View attachment 88614
Thanks for all that… wide bed or a tiny kitchen mmmm more decisions!

Wherever possible go for a flat bed arrangement,

Any undulations give aches and pains after a few nights.

Also can anyone tell me what a ‘Coast ‘ is ? Is it a different name for an ‘ocean’?
Ocean has toys, bells and whistles a-plenty. Coast has same functionality, kitchen, beds, storage etc, but without LED headlights, double glazed rear window, fancy Nav radio, etc etc... Biggest Coast/Ocean difference is Coast has the manual roof, whereas Ocean is hydraulic.

:thumb

Oh, and you can no longer order a new Coast :sorry

Ocean has toys, bells and whistles a-plenty. Coast has same functionality, kitchen, beds, storage etc, but without LED headlights, double glazed rear window, fancy Nav radio, etc etc... Biggest Coast/Ocean difference is Coast has the manual roof, whereas Ocean is hydraulic.

But they were optional extras on a Coast. True ala Carte California living. Sad to see it cut from the roster, but I glad I got my order in when I did.

But they were optional extras on a Coast. True ala Carte California living. Sad to see it cut from the roster, but I glad I got my order in when I did.
We're made up with our Coast, we added only a couple of the cheaper options. The Coast just seemed to make so much sense in the range. Agree, such a shame they've removed it...

Not so much a tiny kitchen but a 2 burner hob with lots of very useful storage, plus fresh & waste water tanks, we always found our Ocean bottom bed to be more than adequate for 2 adults and very comfortable with the mattress topper. Have a look at some of the interesting posts from some of the Beach owners on here and the way they pack their bus with all the extra equipment required in a Beach.

We found we could travel lighter in an Ocean but that said we had no kids with us. Best of luck on your search.

Well, depends where you sleep. The upstairs bed is full width on all versions. (We've only slept downstairs a handful of times in five years.)

Just sayin'... ;)

We have the new Beach with the king bed and a mini kitchen which is ample, we love it.

Not so much a tiny kitchen but a 2 burner hob with lots of very useful storage, plus fresh & waste water tanks, we always found our Ocean bottom bed to be more than adequate for 2 adults and very comfortable with the mattress topper. Have a look at some of the interesting posts from some of the Beach owners on here and the way they pack their bus with all the extra equipment required in a Beach.

We found we could travel lighter in an Ocean but that said we had no kids with us. Best of luck on your search.
Anything Beach owners chose to put into their van is easily removed if they wish.
When using the vehicle as a daily driver Ocean’s don’t give this versatility, the cooker, sink, wardrobe etc are there permanently.
Factor this into how you are going to use the vehicle.

A Coast is a mythical Van, some say that there are only 300 or so on these Island's and that the roof could be raised and lowered without use of electricity, old wives would sit and discuss that their occupants would freeze to death in the winter due to the lack of rear window double glazing and that their toes would be stubbed as there was no under cabinet lighting.

A Coast is a mythical Van, some say that there are only 300 or so on these Island's and that the roof could be raised and lowered without use of electricity, old wives would sit and discuss that their occupants would freeze to death in the winter due to the lack of rear window double glazing and that their toes would be stubbed as there was no under cabinet lighting.
Indeed. And with lighter, brighter interior.....

20210731_135045.jpg