Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach without hookup socket

Z

Zeus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hey folks,

I am about to buy a 2016 Beach without an electric hookup socket, and I want to get more information about living with a van like mine would be.

So first off, does this mean that this Cali will not have an extra battery? Will it mean that I won't be able to run any 220V appliances in the car? I wasn't thinking much, but using a laptop charger would be decent. And thirdly, is it possible to somehow retrofit a hookup socket to near factory standards or is that too much of a hassle?

Thanks for this, folks. Take care.

It should still have a leisure battery, it will charge off the engine alternator when driving.

Laptop can be run off 12v with suitable inverter (cost is £30 approx)

Few options…

- Portable 240v hookup:

- Permanent 240v hookup:
Or have a 240v retrofitted and have hookup in usual place, or, under the bonnet. It’s worth having 2 x internal sockets (1 in usual place & one in the boot). Cost £300 approx.

Solar:
Or fit 2 x 100w solar panels from @Roger Donoghue then no need for 240v hookup. This will be sufficient to run fridge, usb chargers etc.Roughly£800 …more expensive but gives you more flexibility when camping.

Are you sure? I thought it was standard 2015 onward

Do you have a link for the advert?

Hey folks,

I am about to buy a 2016 Beach without an electric hookup socket, and I want to get more information about living with a van like mine would be.

So first off, does this mean that this Cali will not have an extra battery? Will it mean that I won't be able to run any 220V appliances in the car? I wasn't thinking much, but using a laptop charger would be decent. And thirdly, is it possible to somehow retrofit a hookup socket to near factory standards or is that too much of a hassle?

Thanks for this, folks. Take care.

A 2016 UK Beach should have hookup as standard. It is either a conversion, therefore not a Beach, or non UK, or the hookup has been removed for some reason.

Is It a T5.1 (late registered) or a T6 ?

if it’s a T6 it should have an electric hook up

A 2016 UK Beach should have hookup as standard. It is either a conversion, therefore not a Beach, or non UK, or the hookup has been removed for some reason.
Is It a T5.1 (late registered) or a T6 ?

if it’s a T6 it should have an electric hook up
Hello.
I am 6.1 Beach Tour and is not energy connection.
Is strange camping machine.
Is having 2 beds, is having camping control screen and camping lighting functions.

But is Vw tells - is not have leisure battery, is have Additional battery which can energise only functions of camping panel.
I am fridge and is make this additional battery empty energy in short time.

Vw tells, is not this battery to power fridge!.

Camping panel is have " fast charge " control - is terrible - motor make much noise and diesel pollute, after 30 minutes this terrible situation is Additional battery have 50% energy - cannot fridge operate and no heating from camping heater - Vw attach camping heater to camping panel but it battery not much energy to operate.

If is I make hooker to energise, then is lose electric 5 years warranty and is camping control screen has lights troubles I need Vw fixing, so cannot losing warranty.
Is not good situation.

Hello.
I am 6.1 Beach Tour and is not energy connection.
Is strange camping machine.
Is having 2 beds, is having camping control screen and camping lighting functions.

But is Vw tells - is not have leisure battery, is have Additional battery which can energise only functions of camping panel.
I am fridge and is make this additional battery empty energy in short time.

Vw tells, is not this battery to power fridge!.

Camping panel is have " fast charge " control - is terrible - motor make much noise and diesel pollute, after 30 minutes this terrible situation is Additional battery have 50% energy - cannot fridge operate and no heating from camping heater - Vw attach camping heater to camping panel but it battery not much energy to operate.

If is I make hooker to energise, then is lose electric 5 years warranty and is camping control screen has lights troubles I need Vw fixing, so cannot losing warranty.
Is not good situation.

The Beach tour has a second sliding door which would interfere with the usual routing for the hookup, so they have deleted it on that model.

The battery should still be able to power a 12 volt compressor fridge for ~48 hours without charging the battery by running the engine.

You can charge the leisure battery by hookup through the window as you might charge an engine battery without affecting the warranty.

But if I were in your position I’d put a couple of 100 watt solar panels on the roof rails and use them to keep your leisure battery topped up. It will keep the fridge running, power internal lights, charge iPhones and iPads and in bright sunlight even boil a 12 volt kettle in under an hour.

So does a "Tour" have a leisure battery?

@dbice3 has said "But is Vw tells - is not have leisure battery, is have Additional battery which can energise only functions of camping panel".

If it doesn't have an EHU then perhaps that's also because in VW's eyes, it doesn't need one?

The particular car I am looking at is an LHD hence not UK version.

Two questions propped up reading the above:

1) How can I charge the leisure battery apart from running the engine?
2) What else am I missing if I don't have a hookup? Will I have 220V sockets in the car by default or will it be lighter sockets or USB? I have had some time with the car but not too much. I am going to see it again on Saturday for a test drive and I just want to go there armed with questions and things to check.

Thanks,

Z.

2) What else am I missing if I don't have a hookup? Will I have 220V sockets in the car by default or will it be lighter sockets or USB? I have had some time with the car but not too much. I am going to see it again on Saturday for a test drive and I just want to go there armed with questions and things to check.

Thanks,

Z.
Share the ad. The knowledge here will answer all those questions

Thanks,

Z.

You can charge the battery with any automotive battery charger.

To access the battery I cannot recall if the seat needs to be swivelled or not, but it does need to be fully forward (in your case, the driver’s seat). Remove the battery cover to reveal the terminals.

I suggest that you attach a suitable eyelets to Anderson lead as a permanent fixture to make repeat charging a trivial process.

48a5767ffb81f1f127a3966e66a48bbf.jpg

You can now charge the battery with any Halfrauds battery charger with an Anderson connector.

But possibly better (but much more expensive) than that. Fit a couple of 100 watt solar panels to the roof rails of your van, and permanently wire them up via a charger to your leisure battery. They will keep your battery permanently topped and in tip top condition.

But, of course, without hookup you will only be able to power 12 volt appliances. On a campsite with hookup available you can still get 240 volt power with a simple extension lead draped through a window.

8904efabc698ad3611bfb33a5b49dee5.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks,

Z.
1. official method must operate driving motor charging Additional battery. Is possible when is own machine you can adding other charge ways.

2. Machine having not hook-up can still having 220v energy available inside - you must search power connection - each market area can having different equipment level. Is best asking who is selling this electric situation.

I think a Beach Tour could or would have a leisure battery if the auxiliary heater is ordered? I am not 100% sure, but think that usually adds a leisure battery with it?

Unless you are specifically looking for a Lhd Beach there are better value and specced Beaches for sale on this forum.
In general what are people's views of LHD Cali resaleability here in the UK regarding demand and pricing?

In general what are people's views of LHD Cali resaleability here in the UK regarding demand and pricing?
Eurovans in Eastbourne have one. It's at the lower end pricing wise, but that's probably to be expected.

It's been for sale for a while too.

Insurance may be more expensive on a LHD.

Also I hope the sales staff at that VW garage in Pevensey have sharpened their act. When we went there, admittedly six years ago, their atitude stank. They couldn't be bothered to give us any of their precious time telling us that we'd be better off going to their other branch. This was after we had made an appointment and driven for about an hour and a half to get their. They still had time to have a natter to each other as we left in disgust though.

Heres a tip. Most van centre staff have no idea what they're talking about regarding californias .

It does indeed seem to be a 2016 beach without hook up. It may have been specced that way.? All those wheels have wheel worm too, and need replacing or refur. I wouldn't buy that for that price. Never put the roof up in the vid either. Could be hiding more horrors up there

Thats a strange spec! needs new rear discs as well.
4 motion manual has got to be rare, no mention of heater etc website suggests its a 112hp engine?
Looks generally unloved & I can't believe a dealer wouldn't have cleaned it properly & sorted the paint scrapes before putting it on sale.

Eurovans in Eastbourne have one. It's at the lower end pricing wise, but that's probably to be expected.

It's been for sale for a while too.
Yep, that's the one I'm looking at.

I wonder what's people thoughts are about this video detailing the cali in question.

Back