Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach camper with 3 seater bench!

thesquirrelpatrol

thesquirrelpatrol

VIP Member
Apparently you can add the 3 seater bench as an option for £180 to the camper spec. Beats the car VED and road tax and you get 5 seats without the awkward middle row. Seems like a no brainier unless you have your heart set on the two sliding doors?

anyone else specced this?

Yes you can, although not sure if you can spec 1 or 2 additional seats in UK. I ordered the 3 seat as a no cost option (as you can in Europe) so you should get on to your dealer to do the swap for free!

I have ordered the Beach Camper with 3 seat bench (for UK). Will be picking up in a couple of weeks.

Just came across this thread - looking at buying a Beach Camper and can't work out whether to go for the 2 or 3 seat rear bench. Don't need to carry 5 people or the second sliding door, and understood (from California Chris on YT) that the 2 seat bench is a better bed. Going to look at some tomorrow which should help me decide - any gotchas?
After a decent bed as mentioned, and maximum cargo space as priorities.

Depends on your definition of cargo space. The 3 seat will give you more in pure space terms, but the storage bin and the drawer are useful storage for individual bits and pieces. You will get as many views as people on the forum. 2 seat is a lower, flatter bed, 3 seat is more car like seats. 3 seat better at carrying things (arguably) 2 seat has more built in storage. You can remove the storage box completely in the 2 seat and then carry a bike or something inside and still have the bed. Only you will know the answer so good luck either way.

Just came across this thread - looking at buying a Beach Camper and can't work out whether to go for the 2 or 3 seat rear bench. Don't need to carry 5 people or the second sliding door, and understood (from California Chris on YT) that the 2 seat bench is a better bed. Going to look at some tomorrow which should help me decide - any gotchas?
After a decent bed as mentioned, and maximum cargo space as priorities.
If you want maximum cargo then I think you need the 2 seat bench.

Edit @Tarquers gives a better answer above. Out posts crossed.

3 seat bench is more versatile as gives you more width/length for carrying large items when not camping (as you can slide the entire bench forward and create a huge cargo area with a flat floor, so handy for moving large pieces of furniture etc).

More storage under the seat as the bed sits in a higher position. Multiflex board also allows multiple configurations.

Comes down to personal choice.

If you want maximum cargo then I think you need the 2 seat bench.

Edit @Tarquers gives a better answer above. Out posts crossed.
Haha made me chuckle Alison! Always going to be conflicting views. Still at least he didn’t say Ocean or Beach!!!

3 seat bench is more versatile as gives you more width/length for carrying large items when not camping (as you can slide the entire bench forward and create a huge cargo area with a flat floor, so handy for moving large pieces of furniture etc).

More storage under the seat as the bed sits in a higher position. Multiflex board also allows multiple configurations.

Comes down to personal choice.
But, I believe the storage on the LHS is all removable in the 2 seat version. If so, could give even more space...

Haha made me chuckle Alison! Always going to be conflicting views. Still at least he didn’t say Ocean or Beach!!!
Careful, I may feel the need to delete that comment ;)

By storage on the LHS, are you talking about the long cabinets with lids on top? I didn't know that came out. Guess it will be clearer when I look at it in the metal.

I need the space really because we tend to be away weeks at a time so carry a lot of junk essential camping supplies with us. Also, would like to be able to shove a couple of bikes inside from time to time.

By storage on the LHS, are you talking about the long cabinets with lids on top? I didn't know that came out. Guess it will be clearer when I look at it in the metal.

I need the space really because we tend to be away weeks at a time so carry a lot of junk essential camping supplies with us. Also, would like to be able to shove a couple of bikes inside from time to time.
yes that's the box.

There are a few posts if you search on bikes inside. Easy in a 3 seat with wheels on, and some people have managed it in a 2 seat or ocean, wheels on and off.

Back