Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery

S

StevoC

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi All,
I have a 6.1 ocean that is 2 years old.
I cant make head nor tail about the information given on the control panel regarding the leisure battery.
It is very seldom that my blue bars are to the max. Usually at 80% or less.
I get very random readings.
Today while driving I had 90% blue bars with a minus 20A when I parked up it was minus 1 which I would imagine is normal. But minus 20 while driving, is this normal?
1000029134.jpg1000029135.jpg

Yeah what you're seeing is normal. Your batteries would benefit if you connect to ehu once a month or so. You can also activate the "max charge" function on the control panel to get your batteries to 100%.

The bar graph is what to look at. The hours display is not really useful and the amps display while driving is not that useful either. The reason for this is that the alternator is being switch on and off and being used to perform weak regenerative braking.

don't forget to update your profile it says "looking to buy".
all looks normal: when the motor running you can only see if the batteries are charging or discharging and the voltage. When choosing 'max charging' on the control panel while the motor running voltage will rise above 14V. and the idle rpm will be higher also.
When the motor is not running and some load is discharging the batteries control panel will show actual voltage, actual discharge current and a number of hours the system believes the batteries can deliver this current. this allows to estimate the charge level of the batteries in Ah.
example :
1714496391528.jpeg
Batteries fully charged > =24h on EHU
Removed EHU, waited some time to allow batteries to stabilize (>1h) .
Turning on the aux heater starts a process with different current loads and duration, above is a snapshot. What I see is battery tension 12,5V at 2A load and 44h10min left. This tells me the usable capacity of the batteries is 44h x 2A= 88Ah . A little more than 50% of the theoretical 50% of 2x 75Ah what is rule of thumb for safe discharging AMG batteries. My car has same age as yours , should show similar values. (The picture is taken in 2023 when car is just 1 year old).
without load > 1A display shows -1A and > 60h , no reliable estimate can be made .

I admit sometimes unexplainable figures show up on the control panel but most of the time it makes sense.

Last edited:
Back