Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery dead and can’t get into van T6.1

Vans been on drive and not used for a while. was going for a little spin, but can’t open the doors via the key fob, nor by the key either.
What are my options? If I can’t get into van I can’t open bonnet to get to battery.
Hi how long had it been stood to allow the battery to go that flat?

I had this problem with my old 3 series BMW after it sat on my drive for months unused. The battery was so flat, there wasn’t enough charge to allow the central locking to operate and so the mechanical lock wouldn’t function.

Having tried everything they could, the RAC were about the break a window, when I realised my bonnet catch wasn’t properly locked and we managed to get it open.

Once hooked up the the RAC van the door locks worked fine, but the battery was so flat, it wouldn’t take a charge and so a new one was fitted.

Try to keep up with trickle charging now, as with the pandemic, I’m prioritising using the van for run outs over the old car.
I am in the "keeping EHU on permanently" school of thought.;)

I had this problem with my old 3 series BMW after it sat on my drive for months unused.
For years I left my car unused on the drive for 3-4 months without a problem because I disconnected the battery negative to isolate the battery. It is possible to get a battery isolator to wire in. Owners of cars which are not used so much e.g. old classics often fit them.

I am in the "keeping EHU on permanently" school of thought.;)
Are there any downsides...apart from risking driving off without unhooking?

All the assist guy need to do is get underneath and attach a 12v supply to either the starter motor feed or the alternator feed and then you can use the fob, open the door and release the hood.
Yep, that was it - feed to the alternator. He had to remove some covers underneath. Certainly not something I could be bothered to do.
But now I am aware I’ll make sure I trickle charge and also hookup as well.

I always tie a short piece of ribbon to the steering wheel when connected via electric hook up. Easy habit to get into and provides an obvious tell tale.

The AGM Batteries like being held at full capacity with a smart charger / hook up.

having once driven off from a site EHU whilst still connected I have now adopted an idiots approach, I have a laminated sign “on hook up” that I leave on the driver seat to remind me when I unlock the Cali, to go and unhook.

Last edited:
I always tie a short piece of ribbon to the steering wheel when connected via electric hook up. Easy habit to get into and provides an obvious tell tale.
I’ve retrofitted an esp switch in the dash which illuminates while on hook up!....
happy days

The 6.1 door unlock cable freezes up vw is having to recall all 6.1 transporters watch this space

Hi,
Exactly same thing happened to me a while ago T5 2007,tried both keys as I originally thought key battery was dead ,then realised starter battery was flat as pancake and couldn’t open ,then it clicked I used the key and bingo,hope this helps someone else I forget about key for a while as we are so used to blipping

Hi,
Exactly same thing happened to me a while ago T5 2007,tried both keys as I originally thought key battery was dead ,then realised starter battery was flat as pancake and couldn’t open ,then it clicked I used the key and bingo,hope this helps someone else I forget about key for a while as we are so used to blipping
So not exactly the same. The battery being dead also stopped the mechanical keys working.
The only way to open the doors was to access the engine bay from underneath the van and removing an access panel.

Do you get to find Out why manual key wouldn’t open doors ?
Not the technical details. Seems they need some power from the battery. But as mine was completely gone it couldn’t provide enough. As soon as the AA connected a battery to the alternator they opened straight away.
I assume it’s something to do with central locking. I dunno. But it’s bloody annoying and seems a little daft.

Yes ,quite agree bloody annoying ,thankfully mine obviou had just enough left for manual key operation ,like others have said ,I now leave on EHU whilst on drive ,and if I do take EHU off ,will keep hook up cable in garage not van ,thanks for reply and best luck with van