Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bad idea ?

L

LTW

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I was considering buying a brand new already built VW beach, when I discovered the interior was not kutamo fabric (dark interior) which was a deal breaker for me. The dealer has offered to swap the interior from another new van to create the kutamo interior. Is this a straightforward process for VW or a bad idea that will create problems in the future eg creaking panels. Any advice appreciated.

I was considering buying a brand new already built VW beach, when I discovered the interior was not kutamo fabric (dark interior) which was a deal breaker for me. The dealer has offered to swap the interior from another new van to create the kutamo interior. Is this a straightforward process for VW or a bad idea that will create problems in the future eg creaking panels. Any advice appreciated.

I think that I'm right in saying that to create the full Kutamo interior your dealer would have to change the light grey seats, the plastic door cards, interior trim, carpets as well as the rear floor covering. That's a lot of disturbance for both vans so there is a good chance that some issues may result. Frankly I'm surprised that your dealer has even suggested this given the work involved. I think it's best to find yourself a van that's the right spec in the first place.

Last edited:
Agree with Boris. A lot of work, with a chance of things not being fitted quite right. Would make me question why the dealer would offer to do this, perhaps price is high enough to make it worthwhile or some other reason to move the van quickly. Alarm bells for me, tread very carefully.

It wold be quite an undertaking to swap it all out frankly. I’d keep looking.

I think that I'm right in saying that to create the full Kutamo interior your dealer would have to change the light grey seats, the plastic door cards, interior trim, carpets as well as the rear floor covering. That's a lot of disturbance for both vans so there is a good chance that some issues may result. Frankly I'm surprised that your dealer has even suggested this given the work involved. I think it's best to find yourself a van that's the right spec in the first place.
If the van is great in every other way get the dealer to fit Brandrup second skins in the desired colour and ask for a bigger discount, he sounds desperate.

I also totally agree with Boris this would certainly be a no-no to me keep looking you will find one.

Thanks for the replies - looking at the configurator it's changing everything from the pillars down and lower half of the dashboard. The reason I'm considering this options is because the van has a good spec (including parking heater) and they've offered a good discount. I was wondering whether it would invalidate the warranty because its not a factory fit.

I would be more worried about the problems you could have further down the line, especially with some of these dealers stating that after six months they will not fix any rattles or take any panels off as it is not covered by warranty.

They may be under the impression its just changing the seats over which is pretty easy to be fair.

I've spoken with VW UK and the warranty would still be valid because the interior swap is being undertaken by a VW authorised dealer - also I've worked out they're giving me a 13% discount - is that a good deal ?

It sounds like you might expect 7% normally, and you will be getting the van you want. Sounds pretty good to me, although I would be a little concerned about it not being done in Germany from scratch.

Thanks for the replies - looking at the configurator it's changing everything from the pillars down and lower half of the dashboard. The reason I'm considering this options is because the van has a good spec (including parking heater) and they've offered a good discount. I was wondering whether it would invalidate the warranty because its not a factory fit.
Negotiate another 3% off and take it to get leather fitted.

I've had 2 with light grey and I can tell you from experience that it marks extremely easily but does come up when cleaned.

The vin number records the trim details, I.e colour and type, could this cause issue if you ever had to replace parts ?

Would this cause an issue for insurance, essentially modification to the vans factory fitted spec?

Could this cause issues when you come to sell it, only takes someone to be clued up enough on codes to highlight potential issue, which could lead to the wrong conclusion as to why the interior has been changed? Despite what you may tell them !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Seeing as most owners seem to put seat covers on and floor carpets I, personally, can’t see what difference the interior makes really.
As they seem prepared to pay for some serious “man hours” of labour to swop everything over haggle for a further Discount and have the Seats Carpets etc trimmed to whatever you fancy. Even the door panels could be retrimmed by someone who knows what they are doing.

At the moment 13% discount sounds very good indeed and that's after they've spend a small fortune swopping the interior trim. I'd be suspicious of this vehicle if it were me buying.

Why are they so keen to off load it at one of the best discounts that I've seen on this forum in recent times and there're even prepared to swop vehicle interiors with another vehicle in stock? Something that I've never heard of before.

You are either dealing with an amazing dealership or they're hiding something. Is it a damaged/repaired vehicle or has it had warrantee issues and been rejected? If it's already registered I would make a few enquiries before agreeing to buy.

I'm sorry to be a party pooper and I may well be wrong but when something sounds too good to be true it usually is.

Last edited:
At the moment 13% discount sounds very good indeed and that's after they've spend a small fortune swopping the interior trim. I'd be suspicious of this vehicle if it were me buying.

Why are they so keen to off load it at one of the best discounts that I've seen on this forum in recent times and there're even prepared to swop vehicle interiors with another vehicle in stock? Something that I've never heard of before.

You are either dealing with an amazing dealership or they're hiding something. Is it a damaged/repaired vehicle or has it had warrantee issues and been rejected? If it's already registered I would make a few enquiries it it were me.

I'm sorry to be a party pooper and I may well be wrong but when something sounds too good to be true it usually is.

First chance to look at the quote again and realised the total discount of 13% includes a loyalty discount of £2500. It not been registered before and therefore I got to pay the ghastly £1280 road tax and £55 reg fee

13% discount sounds really great :thumb

Is that discount just on that particular van, or will they let you order a van with the dark interior?

I'm looking to replace the damaged repaired Beach I sold back to VW Van Centre Lancashire, and the most I've been offered so far works out at around 9.5%.

I was considering holding off to see if the discounts on the current Cali's might increase once the T6.1 vans and Caravelles start appearing; especially with the new dashboard. Although I know it's likely a T6.1 Cali will probably be well over a year away, if not longer.
The 13% overall discount includes a £2500 loyalty discount which is VW’s current offer rather than 0% finance on 50%

First chance to look at the quote again and realised the total discount of 13% includes a loyalty discount of £2500. It not been registered before and therefore I got to pay the ghastly £1280 road tax and £55 reg fee
If it's a brand spanker then it's probably ok but check it over thoroughly before signing. The total discount figures from dealers quoted recently on here have been in the low single figures with dealers not prepared to move at all. So it seems that you have a great deal.

You could ask if you could have the same deal on a brand new order to your precise spec. What's the worst that could happen?

I have a 2018 beach purchased new from VW and have the dark interior. It was the factory option for the 3 seat bench in the back. Assume this is no longer an option or surely the dealer would have suggested ???!!

When we bought ours last month we told the dealer we didn’t like the white/very light grey interior, and we’d go up north to another that had the same spec beach but with the dark interior, he asked what he could do to sell us this one as it was a common complaint about it, we went away and made a list of demands as such. We walked away with £2k off of the price, VW bike rack rack, the awful coolbox, wind deflectors, 2 VW umbrellas, a free service and some other bits and bobs.

We’re going to spend a some pennies and get a decent set of seat covers and the whole interior scotch guarded. As all we worried about was the cloth getting grubby that should sort the problem. It’s a long term investment for us so if it gets really dirty we’ll get the fabric recovered.

When we bought ours last month we told the dealer we didn’t like the white/very light grey interior, and we’d go up north to another that had the same spec beach but with the dark interior, he asked what he could do to sell us this one as it was a common complaint about it, we went away and made a list of demands as such. We walked away with £2k off of the price, VW bike rack rack, the awful coolbox, wind deflectors, 2 VW umbrellas, a free service and some other bits and bobs.

We’re going to spend a some pennies and get a decent set of seat covers and the whole interior scotch guarded. As all we worried about was the cloth getting grubby that should sort the problem. It’s a long term investment for us so if it gets really dirty we’ll get the fabric recovered.
We have Brandrup second skins on both front And back seats. You cannot tell the difference and, while they do get marked you can take them off for washing. Our van and the covers are now 7 years old and are fine. Painful initial cost but worth-it I think

We have Brandrup second skins on both front And back seats. You cannot tell the difference and, while they do get marked you can take them off for washing. Our van and the covers are now 7 years old and are fine. Painful initial cost but worth-it I think
Will definitely look into these, thank you.

so, i'm planning to get some of the more expensive seat covers for my soon-to-be arriving Cali Coast, which is all in light gray for the moment. I have three young kids (single parent) so i will be better off going for dark grey i think. I've seen a number of folk going for this set:

but no-one going for the titanium set on a the light grey ocean:

Any particular reason for that? Will the contrast to dark to light be a bit...ugly?

(my van will be red, my plan was to get the titanium covers (which i assume will fit the coast as they will the ocean) and a dark carpet.

Back