Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bacon butty

The thread about the shop meet and a bacon butty has got my
mouth watering.
If i could order my last meal, i think it would be a platter of bacon butty variations.
The most historic one that i´ve had was cooked in the Cali in Pembrokeshire, the bacon was
from the farm shop at the campsite, the butty was eaten whilst watching our ferry approach
Fishguard, then it was a quick pack up and onto the ferry.
That was 11yrs ago and nothing has come close since.

My classic is 3 slices of middle back nicely crispy on 2 self cut white
slices with salted butter and a light drizzle of HP.
I've tried the brown bread but its just not the same.

What is your bacon butty like ?

Also, do they really have good bacon in Danemark cos here in
Germany its rubbish, its wafer thin streaky stuff.
Camping was invented for bacon butties. If you go all self righteous and don't take some everyone else is cooking it and it's purgatory .

It’s the curing process and the use of nitrates to cure the meat that’s proved to be the issue.
Hence why http://www.finnebrogue.com/naked/ have developed their nitrate free bacon.
Guilt free eating.
Result, 3 stores near me stock this bacon! I had no idea about the nitrate thing so will definitely be giving this a try.

I’m not that fussy over white/brown bread, streaky/back bacon (but the fat has to be crispy). The ideal for me is fresh white bread, bit of butter...then either lettuce tomato mayo if I’m being healthy or ketchup if not/hungover and it HAS to be served with a mug of tea.

We picked up some of this naked bacon this morning and tried it this afternoon and I can report back that it is bloody delicious without any of the nasties. If they can do it, why can't other brands and butchers !!

I think I will be stock piling some of this

My bacon’s always turned out okay, but since Santa left me a Tefal Ingenio pan set under the tree, it’s to die for. Obviously good quality from a good butcher gives you a head start.

Like some of you guys my favourite is with a soft yolked egg. The absolute best is with doorstep slices of freshly baked bread, if we’re lucky enough from an artisan baker or baked in my Cobb oven/grill. If the bread’s a bit stale, toasted or fried (very naughty).

Flatbreads made with yoghurt will do if we’ve run out of bread altogether. They’re they’re simple to make, take minutes to prepare and cook and are delicious.

Best way to get crispy bacon is to start with a cold pan or grill. That way the fat has time to render and then crisp up. I know it’s the opposite of what you’d normally do with meat, but it really does work and the slices don’t shrink as much too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elly.
I find slow cooking helps to.
At home we grill our bacon, but grill it slowly on low heat. This helps crisp the fat.
The downside, is bacon takes half hour to cook and I’ve eaten half a fresh bloomer with lashing of butter whilst it’s cooking :headbang:D

Elly.
I find slow cooking helps to.
At home we grill our bacon, but grill it slowly on low heat. This helps crisp the fat.
The downside, is bacon takes half hour to cook and I’ve eaten half a fresh bloomer with lashing of butter whilst it’s cooking :headbang:D
That’s the problem if you have bread that you crave as much as the bacon. Even if you’re full up from the bread and butter, you can’t resist the bacon sandwich!

White bread for me butter no ketchup. On a diet not had one since mid december
OMG, Kev. Your discipline is like steel. How’s the diet going? Do you have any tips for cooking in the Cali that would help others who want to eat less calories when on the road?

OMG, Kev. Your discipline is like steel. How’s the diet going? Do you have any tips for cooking in the Cali that would help others who want to eat less calories when on the road?

Kev doesn't have any recipes because of his diet he didn't take any food with him :D

I have not touched bacon amongst other similar meats since I learned about the poisonous chemicals and nitrates that are added to it. I even quizzed our local butcher and all theirs was full of nasties too
Wow, you’re a riot aren’t you!

All you can eat breakfast £4.69. Arguably better value than the six item 99p Ikea breakfast (£1.75 without a Family Card).

Both are a great breakfast option when you have had an early start following a wild camp without unpacking. Indeed, I have planned overnight stops for their proximity to both a Toby Carvery and an Ikea for a quick cheap breakfast.

Last edited:
All you can eat breakfast £4.69. Arguably better value than the six item 99p Ikea breakfast (£1.75 without a Family Card).

Both are a great breakfast option when you have had an early start following a wild camp without unpacking. Indeed, I have planned overnight stops for their proximity to both a Toby Carvery and an Ikea for a quick cheap breakfast.
Hmmm, we have a proper camper van so prefer my own home cured bacon and home made venison sausages cooked on board I would rather starve than eat in a Carvery/Harvester. Just my op.

I also home cure my bacon, it is so easy to do, I am surprised more people don't do it, I only use natural ingredients so no nitrates! We just cut off what we need. Highly recommend people give it a go.

You won’t go wrong with a Greggs bacon sandwich- ideally around 10am. The bread roll is super fresh and soft, the bacon is cooked perfectly- crispy and chewey. Marg and HP. 2 of those with a large tea. Happy days!

I can't see somewhere like Gregg's using a quality bacon!

I love a farm shop. Certainly not cheap but sets you up for a couple of days. Last year we got to Greendale farmshop, South Devon, at 5am, parked up and had a snooze until they opened. Great food and the best shop I’ve ever been to, with massive fresh fish and butcher counter.

Some stats I saw recently; a recent study concluded, of people who eat 2 to 3 rashers per day, (yep, per day) 40 out of 10,000 will develop bowel cancer. 0.4% if you eat 2 to 3 rashers per day, 99.6% were ok.
All things in moderation, varied diet etc. and in all probability you’ll be OK. The best bit of camping is bacon and sausage for breakfast! The scaremongers can’t take that away from us.

Too many harmful chemicals in Bacon and ham nowadays so it's a no from me

Sola dosis facit venenum, as some dead Swiss bloke said...or it could have been Rees-Mogg?

Oh go on then - for those of you without a classical education: "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison, the dosage alone makes it so a thing is not a poison" (attributed to Paracelsus).

Back