Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Backseat mecanism

F

Frans Kops

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
After opening the backseat, it will not close again. Only after converting it to a bed and back, the seat is closed. Any suggestions?

A bit more detail on what model California you have would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, it is a T4 generation from 2001, 5 cyl diesel. The back seat does not close anymore. In trying now the complete back seat cannot be moved anymore. hope this info helps

IMG_8049.jpg

Nice. That’s the same model I have. I just wanted to check as sometimes T5 and T6 queries end up being posted in the T4 section. It’s not a problem I’ve come across myself, have you tried pulling the seat forward and putting it in ‘bed’ mode in an attempt to reset the mechanism.

I managed to get it into 'bed' mode, it closes when it is made in to the 'seat' mode again. But as I said the complete seat does not move anymore, the lever on the right hand side can not be pushed to the right anymore.

Hmmm. That’s sounds problematic. I’ve had a look at some diagrams and it sounds like you might have issues with one or both of the cables the lever operates to release the seat so it can slide. You might be able to lift the locking pins manually to get the seat moving. See the photos below, the pins are in a pretty tight corner but you should be able to lift them. One on each side so it might be a two person job.

41dcd8caef2a1a5582f30c1c94ca6174.jpg

a0713fbd5b4ca51098f9d4c91619b761.jpg

906aa759ffe3da19b68a575870caf65a.jpg

482bbffb0bbfb2fe15e9180d40e744bb.jpg

That’s good news. I think sometimes these cables and pins don’t get any servicing so get a bit sticky.

If you’re still having trouble with the mechanism for tilting the seat you might want to remove the seat from your camper, unscrew the plastic trim panels and give the mechanisms a good clean and some light lubrication. Again, they rarely get any attention and are often clogged with years of dust and fluff. I’m pretty sure that doesn’t help their operation.

On a dutch site I found the problem, it has to do with a small lever and a spring. On left hand side of seat Will try to fix tomorrow

1620763183847.jpg

1620763003098.jpg

That’s a result. It’s easy to forget that these vehicles are 20 years old and bits and bobs do wear out. Testament to their build quality.