Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning rail fitting

nickdrums

nickdrums

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi I’m looking to make or buy something which will slot into the near side awning rail on my T6 Cali, so that I can hang a gravity water purifier from it and allow the pure water to drain into the van’s fresh water tank. Has anyone done this or seen anything suitable?

Yes exactly! I was going to get a Lifestraw Expedition or something like that, so hopefully I can buy just the hook on its own.

Hi I’m looking to make or buy something which will slot into the near side awning rail on my T6 Cali, so that I can hang a gravity water purifier from it and allow the pure water to drain into the van’s fresh water tank. Has anyone done this or seen anything suitable?
Could take a long while to fill the whole Tank, perhaps fit a 3M Water filter to the van pump instead?

OK I think this is the purifier I'm going to get. It's going to be heavy at 12L capacity, but I don't need to fill it right up, and the big one is only £10 more that the 5L one. Now I need to find the hook ...

Aha!

I was just looking to post a link to that. Works a treat for lots of things.

Personally I wouldn’t use some of these available filters. I would just use a simple particulate filter, even simple filter paper and then Katodyne Micropur.

Make your own awning hangers ...

I looked at the Brandrup hanger configuration and felt it put too much point stress on the near side rail, especially if you want to use the 20L (20kg/42lbs plus) Solar Water Butt from Brandrup. I wanted to disperse the weight to minimise stress, as I plan on hanging two, and made the insert for the rail. I can have hot water at the sink as well as hot water for my shower. But having the five hanger points distributes the weight evenly across the 2 meters and allows the entire rail to support the weight. I used 15mm x 5mm x 2000mm aluminium as the internal rail, M5 stainless screws, nylon washers, and 40mm x 3mm x 2000mm aluminium for the external rail. I bought some end caps, secured them with mastic and done. See the pictures. Even if the rail pulls free, which I doubt, that's not a big job to glue it back to the body. Apologies for the dirty windows....:-(

IMG_5940.JPG

IMG_5942.JPG

IMG_5945.JPG

IMG_5947.JPG

I looked at the Brandrup hanger configuration and felt it put too much point stress on the near side rail, especially if you want to use the 20L (20kg/42lbs plus) Solar Water Butt from Brandrup. I wanted to disperse the weight to minimise stress, as I plan on hanging two, and made the insert for the rail. I can have hot water at the sink as well as hot water for my shower. But having the five hanger points distributes the weight evenly across the 2 meters and allows the entire rail to support the weight. I used 15mm x 5mm x 2000mm aluminium as the internal rail, M5 stainless screws, nylon washers, and 40mm x 3mm x 2000mm aluminium for the external rail. I bought some end caps, secured them with mastic and done. See the pictures. Even if the rail pulls free, which I doubt, that's not a big job to glue it back to the body. Apologies for the dirty windows....:-(

View attachment 76456

View attachment 76457

View attachment 76458

View attachment 76459
Just as easy using 5 or more of these.
You still have a point load at each connection to the body rail.

Just as easy using 5 or more of these.
You still have a point load at each connection to the body rail.
Not really. The inner rail is clamped to the outer rail and makes contact across the entire "awning" rail so the weight is distributed across the entire rail. Even if, as you say, there is point contact, the weight is distributed equally across the five points so there is not 42lbs on one single point.

Back