• Thread starter mr_waxdope_noodle
  • Start date
M

mr_waxdope_noodle

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi All,

I’m still new to Cali. Trying to sort out different issues.

Could you help me with Auxiliary Heater noise please. I’ve attached a video. Is it normal sound? I don’t think so. What could this be and how to fix it?

Thanks!

iCloud video

Shows as video still up loading.

Without seeing it the answer is probably yes it's normal for a T5.
Should be a fair bit of loud ticking noises as the fuel is pumped, a roar as the burner ignites, then a bit of whining from the fan.
Give it a while running & it should settle down to just the fan noise & a regular tick from the pump, interspersed with the occasional ramping up in noise as it realises that your getting a bit cold..

Yeah, this noise isn’t normal. Unfortunately I’m not technical enough to comment any remedial action, but I can confirm that anyway, having seen the video.

The only noise you should hear is a ticking when the heater is firing up and of course, the hot air being blown out.

Good luck.

That sounds more like a pump sucking air than a fan to me? Does the heater actually work?

The heater works, and this ticking sound becomes faster when I increase the speed/level of the heater. Seems like a fan touching something while spinning. Any heater scheme/diagram/drawing to share with me? Hopefully an easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shows as video still up loading.

Without seeing it the answer is probably yes it's normal for a T5.
Should be a fair bit of loud ticking noises as the fuel is pumped, a roar as the burner ignites, then a bit of whining from the fan.
Give it a while running & it should settle down to just the fan noise & a regular tick from the pump, interspersed with the occasional ramping up in noise as it realises that your getting a bit cold..

Uploaded

That doesn't sound right.
I tend to agree with sidepod, sounds like the pump going flat out due to air in the fuel line. Alternatively it could be the fan blades touching something - have you been through any deep water recently?

The fuel pump is mounted in the cradle which carries the coolant heater pump under the passenger seat. If the noise comes from the vent outlet its something rubbing on the fan inside the cabin heater. Remove undertray under driver seat, remove heater still in cradle and strip heater down. Basic gasket & service kit is cheap and only uses screwdriver and torx bits. YouTube for loads of guides. Needs to be in bits to locate problem.

The fuel pump is mounted in the cradle which carries the coolant heater pump under the passenger seat. If the noise comes from the vent outlet its something rubbing on the fan inside the cabin heater. Remove undertray under driver seat, remove heater still in cradle and strip heater down. Basic gasket & service kit is cheap and only uses screwdriver and torx bits. YouTube for loads of guides. Needs to be in bits to locate problem.

Any videos with guides will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Yes, the noise is coming from vents outlets. Sounds like fan is rubbing on something. What do you mean by cabin heater? Where to find this fan? Is it the same as previous post about air blower motor? Thank you!

Cabin heater = air heater often an eberspacher airtronic. Sticker on drivers door will confirm. The heater has one motor which spins the fan blade for combustion gasses and the blade for the air being heated. Check door jam for sticker to confirm type of heater. Note eberspacher d3plus and d4plus are same physical components only the control module differentiates as cali specific.

Cabin heater = air heater often an eberspacher airtronic. Sticker on drivers door will confirm. The heater has one motor which spins the fan blade for combustion gasses and the blade for the air being heated. Check door jam for sticker to confirm type of heater. Note eberspacher d3plus and d4plus are same physical components only the control module differentiates as cali specific.

This is what I have: d3 plus. Hope I won’t need to replace the whole heater. Gonna speak to the guy from the garage tomorrow, wish me luck

266255e08eb61158dcbdfbf0dfd85575.jpg

Back