Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Automatic gearboxes

Yep, Cali campers !
They have a few hundred t4 in bits, it's an epic place !
Asked the man who is lined up to rebuild my automatic gearbox and they said fitting a manual instead of an automatic gearbox is a majob job costing much more.
James at calicamper says no problem as he swapped a automatic for a manual a thousand times. My head is spinning. You sound pleased with yours squiz

I can understand where your gearbox guy is coming from as swapping the box is not a job to do on your drive...and he wants to sell you an autobox..ideally you need a donor van next to yours as you swap everything over. James technician in the workshop does these all the time.

It was £2k for my conversion last year and an auto rebuild was considerably more, so I wouldn't think twice about the decision.

I can understand where your gearbox guy is coming from as swapping the box is not a job to do on your drive...and he wants to sell you an autobox..ideally you need a donor van next to yours as you swap everything over. James technician in the workshop does these all the time.

It was £2k for my conversion last year and an auto rebuild was considerably more, so I wouldn't think twice about the decision.
Appreciate your comments and time taken to answer squiz. Have contacted James and have a price of £3,000. Not sure if this includes VAT. Were there other modifications that could be done when everything is stripped down. We are looking forward to living in Dorset.

My pleasure, thoroughly recommend the swap to manual the cost will soon be forgotten, and will easily add value to the t4 for that day you ever decide to sell it !

Dorset is lovely please don't tell anyone else only your close friends and family..hahar