Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Arnies's carpet solution

Arnie

Arnie

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Today I installed carpet in Arnie using two marvel mats from Dunelm (50x150cm) that I cut to fit the space using a template made from cut up dust sheet. They are the perfect width to lift the left one up to then lie on the right one to pull the bed out. Held down with Velcro. Very happy with the result. The stuff is easy to cut to size with scissors and doesn't fray.
3e9e1c0962bdd42d7895b4c77015e812.jpg
76b8599825d15229f3841d29921ce59a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The result looks great! Love the idea they can double up to move the bed.
I was always trying to cover the rails during the day as dogs drop dirt, sand and other unthinkables all over the place...
Are they (machine) washable?

Apparently so.... they are machine washable. I doubt the velcro would survive but the colour is so speckly and dirt coloured I doubt I will wash them any time soon

Apparently so.... they are machine washable. I doubt the velcro would survive but the colour is so speckly and dirt coloured I doubt I will wash them any time soon

They are, we washed ours and it was fine.

I use 2 separate carpets. the bench slides over them. They are not glued to place, so re aligning them is often needed, but I don't mind.
IMG_20201107_100951.jpg

Today I installed carpet in Arnie using two marvel mats from Dunelm (50x150cm) that I cut to fit the space using a template made from cut up dust sheet. They are the perfect width to lift the left one up to then lie on the right one to pull the bed out. Held down with Velcro. Very happy with the result. The stuff is easy to cut to size with scissors and doesn't fray.
3e9e1c0962bdd42d7895b4c77015e812.jpg
76b8599825d15229f3841d29921ce59a.jpg

A question - why do you need the velcro? I thought these Dunelm runners had non-slip backing.

Good question. Maybe I don't?! We'll see how it goes. Wanted to make sure they stayed lined up together so you don't get a crack between them

Interesting my van has three rails so carpet has to be moved....

Good question. Maybe I don't?! We'll see how it goes. Wanted to make sure they stayed lined up together so you don't get a crack between them

Thanks. I think I'm going to try this for my Cali too. I need something ready before it arrives because my dog will be desperate to go for a drive!

Thanks. I think I'm going to try this for my Cali too. I need something ready before it arrives because my dog will be desperate to go for a drive!
The other advantage of these mats is that they are thin enough to open the drawer without moving them

When I did ours I didn’t bother with a template. They are so flexible it was easy to cut to fit them. I also put some on the sliding door step and on the lid of the box the dog uses as a step to get to his bed on the passenger seat (and we use for books/maps, etc).

I used the 150cm x 80cm mats. The offcuts were handy for the bottoms of Ikea Skubb boxes I have as in the bench seat drawer, to stop rattles and clanging (it’s where I store my pans).

As we have a self inflating mattress for the bed downstairs I removed the Cali parcel shelf foam, lifted the shelf to allow more storage underneath and put a marvel mat on the shelf. That works better for us.

The mats fir perfectly and I didn’t need Velcro to hold them on the floor, but did use some dobs of guerilla glue to fix the bit of mat on the sliding door step.

I’ve found that they vacuum really well (at home), will take a good shaking and/or robust brushing (whilst travelling) and can be washed with a damp, soapy sponge/cloth (anytime).

This little brush and dustpan does a great job on these mats (as well as everywhere else in the van), is nice and small to store, is good quality and great value for money.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00940DUEK/?tag=eliteelect-21

When I did ours I didn’t bother with a template. They are so flexible it was easy to cut to fit them. I also put some on the sliding door step and on the lid of the box the dog uses as a step to get to his bed on the passenger seat (and we use for books/maps, etc).

I used the 150cm x 80cm mats. The offcuts were handy for the bottoms of Ikea Skubb boxes I have as in the bench seat drawer, to stop rattles and clanging (it’s where I store my pans).

As we have a self inflating mattress for the bed downstairs I removed the Cali parcel shelf foam, lifted the shelf to allow more storage underneath and put a marvel mat on the shelf. That works better for us.

The mats fir perfectly and I didn’t need Velcro to hold them on the floor, but did use some dobs of guerilla glue to fix the bit of mat on the sliding door step.

I’ve found that they vacuum really well (at home), will take a good shaking and/or robust brushing (whilst travelling) and can be washed with a damp, soapy sponge/cloth (anytime).

This little brush and dustpan does a great job on these mats (as well as everywhere else in the van), is nice and small to store, is good quality and great value for money.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00940DUEK/?tag=eliteelect-21
I've seen a couple of your posts on this Elly and am copying you - the Dunelm Marvel Mats should arrive this week. Thanks also for the dustpan and brush tip - that went straight into my amazon basket!

Back