Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are you satisfied ?

racali

racali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
The Cali didn't make the Motorhome Owner Satisfaction Awards 2017 (Caravan and Camping Club) in the new ownership list but then Bilbos did come top with a satisfaction rating of 97.6% - very well done. However, in the preowned list the Cali came sixth with a rating of 85.8% but hang on - after Romahome! Interestingly the new owner complaints were in descending order of occurrence:

1. Sloppy PDIs (pre delivery inspections)
  2. Dealers’ failure to return telephone calls or e-mails
  3. Difficulty obtaining spares
Only 30% of new motorhomes were reported as being supplied fault free, more than one-in-ten had more than five faults.
Having noted all that, my two year old van has just had its first service at 18,000 miles efficiently carried out at Eurovans Crawley (also supplied it fault free after exhaustive handover) with nothing to report other than a disintegrated rear cupboard tambour door. It has been trouble free and a joy to drive all over the Uk and Europe - that engine mated to the DSG make it a magic ride.
My only significant complaints are the total lack of any thermal insulation (exacerbated by a ridiculously noisy heater) and a none waterproof roof fabric - both not fit for purpose in my opinion - Bilbos next time. My only niggle is the appalling fit of the blackout (not) blinds - some are not intended to seal (e.g. Tailgate) but others fail to stay in the side grooves and or do not lie horizontal at the base - and the sliding door blind is a bugger to close and near impossible if exposed to strong sunlight.
So, I wouldn't give it 97.6% but on balance I'd say a lot higher than 85.8%.

I would give mine over 90%.

No major problems, the roof ingress doesn't bother me as I would prefer that to a sealed fabric that drips condensation everywhere - just be careful not to rub it. The blinds are a bit of a weak unit,

Bilbo's have always impressed me though.

Mine also came from Crawley and also a brilliant handover.

The Cali didn't make the Motorhome Owner Satisfaction Awards 2017 (Caravan and Camping Club) in the new ownership list but then Bilbos did come top with a satisfaction rating of 97.6% - very well done. However, in the preowned list the Cali came sixth with a rating of 85.8% but hang on - after Romahome! Interestingly the new owner complaints were in descending order of occurrence:

1. Sloppy PDIs (pre delivery inspections)
  2. Dealers’ failure to return telephone calls or e-mails
  3. Difficulty obtaining spares
Only 30% of new motorhomes were reported as being supplied fault free, more than one-in-ten had more than five faults.
Having noted all that, my two year old van has just had its first service at 18,000 miles efficiently carried out at Eurovans Crawley (also supplied it fault free after exhaustive handover) with nothing to report other than a disintegrated rear cupboard tambour door. It has been trouble free and a joy to drive all over the Uk and Europe - that engine mated to the DSG make it a magic ride.
My only significant complaints are the total lack of any thermal insulation (exacerbated by a ridiculously noisy heater) and a none waterproof roof fabric - both not fit for purpose in my opinion - Bilbos next time. My only niggle is the appalling fit of the blackout (not) blinds - some are not intended to seal (e.g. Tailgate) but others fail to stay in the side grooves and or do not lie horizontal at the base - and the sliding door blind is a bugger to close and near impossible if exposed to strong sunlight.
So, I wouldn't give it 97.6% but on balance I'd say a lot higher than 85.8%.
Well, reading your comments I realise I must have a different vehicle.
All the blinds work well. ? Total blackout - that's what eyelids are for! at least I close mine when asleep and if not overlooked I don't even bother with all the blinds.
Lack of Insulation - trapping moisture etc: - no thank you. That's what the heater is for and I can barely tell mine is on without putting a hand by the vent. Certainly not noisy. Canvas has been used for decades for tents etc: breathable, no condensation on the inside and dries quickly and long lasting.
They only problem since delivery - and EGR change at 900 miles due to a fault. Excellent Dealership.
It doesn't rattle and squeak unlike many big whites and a lot of the smaller ones and can do a lot more.

Just watched 2 motorhomes trying to park in the local supermarket car park, caused mayhem until the Parking Warden pointed at the sign that said " Car Park " and they had to drive away. There were 6 T5 conversions parked without causing problems.

Maybe I'm biased - well I am!.:):happy:D

Being on Cali number 2 if I was not +90% happy with
  1. The van
  2. Dealer and service department
I would not have bought Cali number 2 again looked at other campervans and felt California remain best for us and our needs

Last edited:
We've had our Cali for not quite a month and our previous was a Bilbo's. I always said If we replaced the Bilbo's it would be with another Bilbo's. The roof is made of fibreglass (no corrosion) and I prefer the manual opening. However, though it's totally waterproof, condensation is a big problem. The build quality of B is excellent though we had a total failure of the camping electrics on our first trip. B handled it well though having to drive it to their place in Surrey from where we are in the midlands was annoying.

However, when our beloved van was stolen, we chose to replace it with a Cali because of the roof space and build quality.

We costed a new Bilbo's (with their side raisingroof) and it came out pretty much the same as a Cali.

We have dealt with Listers in Droitwich and have been very happy with their service.

No regrets for us. I'd rate Bilbo's very highly, but VW about the same from our experience.

Charles

handled it well though having to drive it to their place in Surrey from where we are in the midlands was annoying.
that is a big issue with camping bits on a conversion we like one firm in Scotland but living in Southampton it just tempted fate

Despite niggles I still feel my satisfaction rating is above 90%.

I'm sure it depends upon expectations. Like @WelshGas im happy with the level of light exclusion and warmth.

I also find the T6 canvas to be totally waterproof. That may not last but we have camped in very inclement weather and the only water coming in came through the vents.

So far I'm not letting roof corrosion affect my enjoyment. Yes - the dealer has to be chased but nothing compared to the supplier chasing I have to do at work!

I looked at the Bilbos conversion but did not like the seat/bed fixed position and the roof bed was both an extra and not really practical for adults. The standard of finish was good but I much prefer the Ocean.
As for complaints I must be lucky. I have non and to be honest many of the niggles I hear are trivial and easily sorted before involving a dealer. As for the roof issue complaints. These are totally justified and VW should hold it head in shame for not sorting this out by now. That fault, in a significant number of vans, is totally unacceptable

Got to say other than someone doing a typo at the factory and building the wrong spec first time. Both that Cali and the replacement have been fault free and rattle free. Still early days but no complaints other than the concern over the future likely roof issues.
It's easy to forget that these are pretty complicated vehicles and due to the life changing reasons that they are bought for and the amount they cost anything less than perfect can cause dissatisfaction.
Main thing is that I smile when I'm approaching it and glance back when I click the remote and feel pretty fortunate.
Fingers crossed it stays this way and if it doesn't I get some decent service.

Mike

All the blinds work well. ? Total blackout - that's what eyelids are for! at least I close mine when asleep and if not overlooked I don't even bother with all the blinds.
Lack of Insulation - trapping moisture etc: - no thank you. That's what the heater is for and I can barely tell mine is on without putting a hand by the vent. Certainly not noisy. Canvas has been used for decades for tents etc: breathable, no condensation on the inside and dries quickly and long lasting.
They only problem since delivery - and EGR change at 900 miles due to a fault. Excellent Dealership.
It doesn't rattle and squeak unlike many big whites and a lot of the smaller ones and can do a lot more.

Just watched 2 motorhomes trying to park in the local supermarket car park, caused mayhem until the Parking Warden pointed at the sign that said " Car Park " and they had to drive away. There were 6 T5 conversions parked without causing problems.

I looked at the Bilbos conversion but did not like the seat/bed fixed position and the roof bed was both an extra and not really practical for adults. The standard of finish was good but I much prefer the Ocean.
As for complaints I must be lucky. I have non and to be honest many of the niggles I hear are trivial and easily sorted before involving a dealer. As for the roof issue complaints. These are totally justified and VW should hold it head in shame for not sorting this out by now. That fault, in a significant number of vans, is totally unacceptable
The roof bed in the California, particularly when fitted with an iso-top liner, effectively doubles the size of the van, any conversion that does have such a decent bed is missing a very big trick.

Intrigued that there were 8 motor homes / campervans at your local supermarket at the same time. Doubt I've ever seen more than 2 at ours. You must live in a holiday hotspot :cool:.

Wow.
Its no wonder Volkswagen don't give a monkeys about the list of California owners with major issues to their vehicles.

Roof corrosion
The bi-turbo engine failures
Leaking slide windows
To name a few.

So far I've experienced, the roof issue, leaking window, rusty wheel bolts, locking issue with sliding door.
However, engine etc. Has been reliable.

Do i get massive enjoyment from the vehicle. YES...!!!

Would I buy another. NO...!!!

The only reason being, the list of faults and Volkswagens reluctance to rectify them quickly and without future fault has been more than disappointing.
The increase in price over the last few years is another.
My view is that £50-£65k for these vehicles is beyond silly especially with the issues we are aware of.

I do plan to keep mine long term, however I may look into, time sharing a proper bespoke campervan/motorhome to my specifications for the same price of a full fat Cali.

Yes ........ my 90% plus satisfaction level would have been increased had the roof fabric been a modern technical material like my fabric shoes and lightweight jacket - waterproof and breathable ie no condensation - good to hear this has been addressed in the T6; the body shell been insulated just like the majority of chassis built motor homes and, when I last checked, van conversions; the heater didn't tick and roar sufficient to draw comments from neighbours on site (and many owners judging from comments in the forums); and had the blinds been designed to keep the bright sun out during my siestas.

Intrigued that there were 8 motor homes / campervans at your local supermarket at the same time. Doubt I've ever seen more than 2 at ours. You must live in a holiday hotspot :cool:.
Vale of Glamorgan and a Waitrose.

Reactions: DM
The roof bed in the Bilbo's is not suitable for an adult, the main reason we did not buy another.

The bilbo rear seat is very clever; there's much more storage and when the bed is flat there's space underneath for a portapotti. However the bilbo seat is not nearly as comfortable for travelling.

All campervans are a compromise; you pays your money (a great deal of it!) and you makes your choice. Neither van is perfect, but for a family of 4 the Cali suits us better.

Charles

We were pretty impressed with Bilbos. However, as with @Erbster, cost-wise (after negotiating discount on our Cali, Bilbos were not prepared to discount at all) there wasn't much in it for us and the Cali definitely had the edge. In terms of the roof-bed, the side-raising Bilbo roof for the 4 of us just wouldn't have been a long-term option. Also, the cupboards, though cleverly planned, are a weightier after-market fit. We also prefer the ability of having a larger boot size in the Cali which gives us options as we use Billy as a second vehicle so needs to be able to do Ikea/tip runs etc.

We are only a few weeks in, but I am very satisfied with our California and the service we've had from our dealer, SMG.

Back